HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Fatty liver makes the best pate.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #17
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

yes well, I think you might find yourself in trouble if you try and make pate out of my liver.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #18
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

You can eat pate and get pissed at the same time.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
annfan
Jotter of Notes

Hi, I'm starting this, too. I Googled a search for support for The Liver Cleansing Diet, as the homepage doesn't have a forum, and found your post. Maybe we could do the plan together! I bought the book a few days ago in Long Beach, CA, where I live.

So far I didn't make any of the recipes, but I already make vegan soups in the style of the middle four weeks, and spinach/berry smoothies with flaxseeds. So I'll dispense with dairy for the 8 weeks, and limit refined carb indulgences.

Louise
annfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #20
Aliantha

Lots of the recipes in the book are great. Some are not so good. I did the stuffed baked whole apple with the nut cream for a dinner party a couple of weeks ago. Everyone ate it all and said they liked it, but I wasn't too keen. I actually did the whole meal based on the liver cleansing diet and it went down well.

It's pretty simple to follow. Much easier than I thought it would be although I noticed in about my 4th week I started having real cravings for chocolate and fats. This could have been due to the fact that I was sick with a nasty cold and also my period was due. I lapsed and had a couple of slices of pizza and a cadbury cream egg, but it doesn't seem to have done me too much harm. It's actually ok to have good quality dark chocolate on the diet though.

Anyway, I'll keep posting here and let you know how I'm going. I'm about to start my fifth week now, so I'm just over half way through the 8 week program. Once I'm done I think I'll probably stick to the basic principals of the diet though. It seems to be a fairly healthy way to go.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #21
annfan
Jotter of Notes

So far I'm doing okay - just I like to eat alot! We'll see what happens.

Also, I am trying to pay attention to exercise and walk a couple miles every day.

There's a testimonial online somewhere that a man did it, not losing for the entire time, until right at the end. That sounds like the principle that one doesn't lose until the liver heals.

It's no surprise to me that your dinner party went over well. If you go to the trouble to buy, wash, slice, cook healthy food, people act ravenous about it, like they've been needing something healthy for years! Whenever I bring a soup or other recipe to sick friends, it's like a swarm of locusts, then it's all over.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
Aliantha

The idea of the LCD is to kick start your metabolism due to the liver being the organ which controls this within your body (for the main part), so I suppose it stands to reason that your metabolism wont work properly again until you've 'cleansed' it enough. Maybe that man had a very unhappy liver?

Eating healthy food definitely makes a difference. Even just the act of getting out of bed is easier for me these days. I don't wake up feeling sluggish anymore which is great and makes it much easier to deal with the daily grind of getting everyone off to school and work.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #23
annfan
Jotter of Notes

Hi,

It's nice to look forward to someone to chat with!

Last night at 9PM, I made "Family Fishcakes," the recipe on page 141. Let me tell you, I don't "get" that recipe! I'm trying, but I'm cooking the "fish cakes" now, that I made last night, but most of them fell apart, so it's more like a hash.

Dr. Cabot does say, "four LARGE potatoes." I made it with 2 lbs of ready-cooked red potatoes, cut into small squares. Out of the fridge, they didn't mash properly, so I heated them in the microwave. It's a half portion, since one large potato weighs about a lb, so I added half the vegetables, which I found on sale yesterday: carrot, celery, green onions. Only I added 2 celeries, since they were thin. And salt-free Mrs. Dash, instead of pepper. So to this whole thing - no to double the above, you're supposed to add just ONE egg white? It's not enough. It doesn't make sense.

Since the potatoes were cubed with the skin on, they never did get mashed properly. What I thought would be a quick recipe to throw together, took 2 1/2 hours, to make the patties and clean up. Except for about five, the patties didn't hold together, so I made hash and browned the rest. It barely tastes of salmon from the one 7 1/2 oz can I used. Couldn't find whole wheat bread crumbs, either, so I settled for a less salted variety from Whole Foods. It tastes fine, like regular hash browns you get at the diner when you order eggs, so my parents and I will sit down to lunch in a minute and eat them as a side with cooked carrots and meatloaf. [They're eating the meatloaf - not me!]

Anyway, I'm proud I attempted the fish cakes. They're probably healthy and LCD-friendly. I brushed olive oil in a pan and browned them five minutes on each side, the way it specifies. I never made fish cakes before, so now I can make them from real cooked potatoes next time.

Louise
Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #24
Aliantha

Yeah, the real potatoes might be the way to go. Sometimes frozen vegies don't do what you expect and it'd be the starch in the potatoes holding them together (for the most part) which might be somewhat lost or damaged through the freezing process. I've never tried the fish cakes, but I might have to give them a go and see if I can get them to work out.

Try the rattatoui. It's really nice.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #25
annfan
Jotter of Notes

Hi, Thanx for the suggestion of ratatouille. You mean the vegetable ratatouille on page 151, right? There are also ratatouille kabobs. It looks delicious, except I would substitute sweet potatoes (yellow variety) and add some kale for more greens. I'm a kale lady! Here's a pic of the lentil kale soup I make [almost] weekly:

Just bought 22 oz of portobello mushrooms on sale, so I have to figure out which recipe to use them in. Can I used sliced portobellos in a recipe which calls for button mushrooms? Maybe you can find buttons easily in Australia, but I couldn't find them here. For use in Beans With Mushrooms on page 140. Where's the liquid to hold the dish together? It sounds very dry. It sounds like it might be nice to simmer the ingredients in a pan first, then pour into a baking dish and bake 25 minutes. What do you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by annfan; 03-26-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #26
Aliantha

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the book that you can substitute any kinds of mushrooms if the ones specified in the recipe are not available. Buttons are the most common ones here, but most of the others are reasonably accessible too.

I'd be hesitant about cooking a dish that doesn't specify it if you really want to get the most out of the LCD. The heating process can damage some of the nutrients in the vegetables which need to be there in order to get the right stuff happening in your guts. In many cases, it's the combination of ingredients that make that happen, other times it's the fact that the recipe is raw.

I think adding some things on top of what's in the recipe would be ok though. I know I've done that before.

Kale isn't a vege that's readily available here. It's an asian vege isn't it? I think it's available in some of the asian produce shops over here.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #27
annfan
Jotter of Notes

Hi Aliantha,

Many here don't know about kale, or use it simply as a garnish, and wouldn't think of cooking it, but according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD, kale and collards are tied for top place in nutrient density. Check out:
http://drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx

Kale, broccoli, and other greens have more protein than steak, calorie per calorie. See chart, attached. I got it from DiseaseProof.com. That's why gorillas are so muscular and dense, because they limit themselves to grass and other vegetation!

World's Healthiest Foods .org lists some healthy foods and has an article about kale. You could Google images of kale to see the varieties, and how they look. Mostly, I stick with green. The springy leaves jump all over the place when I slice the leaves off the stem, and chop them into fettucine-size. They make a mess! Always have to sweep afterwards! But it's worth it. They're delicious in the soup, above! My Dad just had a cup of it, and even he enjoys it, without added salt! The soup has no added salt or oil, and is vegan.

Here's some recipes: Delicious Living Magazine

Louise
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #28
annfan
Jotter of Notes

Thanx for the heads-up about sticking to the recipe. I did make the aduki bean bake by first simmering sliced mushrooms, chopped carrots & celery with garlic, a dash of olive oil, and no-salt-added aduki beans, and no-salt-added vegetable bouillon before baking it for 25 minutes, the way the recipe called for. But I didn't waste the liquid - I ate it, or it got absorbed into the beans and vetables, what was left of it after it was reduced. It was good!

It's true that cooking changes the nutritional profile, but cooking brings out more nutrients in some foods, plus allow one to eat more vegetables. That's why soups are great, because you salvage the liquid.

But I get your point! I ate half a lb of raw mixed lettuce, and some carrot and celery sticks, to contribute raw calories to the day's total. From now on, I'll try the recipes as they are, but those fish cakes sure needed help [extra egg white, brush with olive oil]!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #29
Cloud

You might like Natalie Rose's The Detox Diet. The "green lemonade" juice which she espouses, and I make and drink regularly (it's really good, believe it or not!) has kale as a main ingredient.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #30
annfan
Jotter of Notes

What are the ingredients? Sounds interesting!