The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

If you were summoned for jury duty...

...and you happened to find the scheduled case and google it...... would that be illegal? And if not, would it be likely to get you dismissed if you admitted that? Hypothetically, of course. Asking for a friend. hypothetically. Who might have an unmissable event not excused by the court on one of the days. If they existed. Would it make a difference if you had strong views about the issue in question even if you had no direct personal experience? Enquiring minds are equiring. Nothing else to see here....
Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
glatt

It would be stupid to admit to Googling a case, but admitting to having seen media coverage of a specific case is perfectly fine and admitting a bias is downright honest. Just keep in mind that judges get to decide whether someone is holding their court in contempt, so don't give them a reason.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
glatt

Oh, and did the summons give you instructions that you violated by Googling?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
monster

no and it's not me, so I violated nothing
Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #5
monster

My imaginary friend would not currently have any idea about the case (that sadly doesn't have any obvious bias stance)
if they existed.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

My imaginary self has been picked twice. The first time I got out of it because I was the sole provider, and commissioned which would have created an undo financial burden. The second time I tried the same thing, but only got a defferral. So i went, but the case settled at 1pm before they even did the selection bit.

Your friend can request a deferred date because (insert a creative reason). That might alleviate their imagined conflict.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:30 AM   #7
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Your friend should live on an island where the nearest court is a ferry-ride away. Then they are automatically absolved so as not to create an undue financial burden through having to be accommodated overnight throughout a trial (though whey they are ever called (which they are sometimes) when their address makes the fact that they live on an island abundantly clear I will never know).
Old 11-14-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Tell them it's an atheist holiday and ask for a deferment. They'll want to be politically correct.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
glatt

I've been summoned 3 times.

First time I showed up, sat around for 3 partial days waiting to be selected, and never was.

Second time there was a new clerk and a new system. Phone in for info on if I was needed the next day. I showed up one day and sat on a jury but the case was dismissed after the poor defendant (actually seemed like a nice guy and I was on his side) incriminated himself under oath and took an unknown deal. He had dropped his kid off at elementary school while carrying a loaded gun in a gym bag in his trunk. This was a violation of Virginia law because the gym bag wasn't locked even though the trunk was. He kept that gun in the trunk all the time.

And the third time I provided proof of the second time and was excused because it had been so recent. Thankfully, because that third time was a federal court case and would have been a big deal trial going on for a week or more.

I saw lawyers get excused, single caregivers, elderly with health issues, and lots of people grasping for reasons who were ultimately kept around.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
monster

Imaginary friend might have group project college final but court in question has previously shown themselves to be unsympathetic in this regard
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
monster

I guess IF just needs to hope they are told not to bother when they call the night before
Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
He had dropped his kid off at elementary school while carrying a loaded gun in a gym bag in his trunk. This was a violation of Virginia law because the gym bag wasn't locked even though the trunk was. He kept that gun in the trunk all the time.
Wait, so if it had been out of the bag and just loose in the trunk, it would have been legal?

Jury crap is clearly different in every state. In Texas, they say you've been selected for the next three month period, go online and tell us which of those days are no good for you. I don't know what happens if you pick too many, but my dad picked probably 40% of them once, and they were fine with it. Then they said okay, here's your day to actually show up and find out if you'll be chosen for one of several cases that day, nothing specific you can Google.

I've been called 3 times, but I've always been the caregiver of a child under whatever their cutoff age is. I've only got a couple years of that excuse left...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Wait, so if it had been out of the bag and just loose in the trunk, it would have been legal?
My recollection was that a trunk doesn't count. It's the same as being inside the car. Apparently a gun has to be locked to be carried (loaded?) in a car in Virginia. I think. Lots of rules and it's complicated. Plus he parked in the school parking lot with a gun in the trunk, and you can't do that at all. No guns on school property. This was years before Sandy Hook.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Is the summons for civil court; or, criminal court?

Are you for primary duty; or, standby?

I've been summoned for standby duty; but, enough primaries showed up and I was sent home.

Once as a primary for a civil court case, it was settled just minutes before trial and I was sent home. Another time though, I had to serve as a juror.

In a criminal case, the defense used its peremptory challenge to dismiss me from a murder trial (crime involved firearms), after finding out about my SF background, and I was sent home.

Perhaps the easiest trial to get out of being selected as a juror for would be a criminal case that could incur the death penalty. Just tell the judge that you could never convict anyone knowing they could possibly be sentenced to die, not even if you weren't involved in the sentencing phase. I've seen that story work after being presented convincingly enough.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They kept sending notices and I'd send them back saying my hearing is not good enough to be a juror. Then a woman calls me and says you can hear me. She got pissy when I told her it was only because of an amplified phone, hearing aid, in a quiet room. The next time I got a notice I replied, I'd love to be a juror to prevent some poor person from getting fucked by the Delaware County Court System that fucked me. Haven't heard since.