The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

We haven't talked about goals in a long time

I've been busy as hell since taking this job. I wanted to be the big fish in the smaller pond and I got it. As the I.T. director for a movie producer, I've got a lot of challenges. The guys who set this place up originally knew next to nothing about computer networking so I've got my work cut out for me.

They left open relay on the mail servers for about 3 years so every spammer on earth was bouncing off our server. Their answer for this was to move half of the users from the .com domain to the .net domain.

This means we had half of our users on llpla dot com and half of them on llpla dot net.

I took care of this immediately by installing a new Cisco IronPort spam appliance, and a new mail server. Between them we've got 4 layers of spam protection and 2 layers of virus protection not including the virus protection on the client computers.

I've checked our charts and about 1.1% of the messages sent here are legitimate and the rest are spam. The users are happy as hell now because they don't get a thousand messages a day telling them how to make their dicks bigger.

We've got 5 offices across Southern Cal and none of them are connected. They have no help desk, no ticketing system, no standardization of hardware or software, no software pushing mechanism, no remote desktop setup for the PC's or Macs, no real network security, etc.

My goals are to implement all of these and to hire a couple of guys to help me do it. My other goals are to increase my income enough so I can actually afford a house in the L.A. area while sending my daughter to private school. (a lofty goal).

I'm already working on connecting our sites using point-to-point fiber with an ungodly amount of bandwidth.

Next is desktop and laptop hardware and software standardization and making baseload ghost images. After that, I'll setup the remote desktop stuff with the software push ability, and the helpdesk ticketing software. Then I've got to create an inventory system for our props warehouse, get the company to switch to digital video rather than film (not easy) so we can video something in HD at our states in Simi Valley, transfer it to the editing department in L.A. who can have our digital effects department send them stuff, and then have it all sent to our sound studios in Burbank and have the finished product done in about 1/4 the time it takes while using film.

This isn't going to be cheap or easy, but I swear I'm going to bring this company up to par if it kills me.

Sorry for the long and geeky post, but I needed to vent.

What are your goals? short term? long term?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

I want to end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river.
Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ya know, I have a lot of long-term goals. But they don't mean anything unless I get a real job. I've been trying to find one, but nothing's biting right now, which just sucks. Right now, I feel like I wasted $20,000 going to grad school...I want it to stand for something.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleschmutz View Post
I want to end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river.
You can park it on the river behind my place. If you share your cheese.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
elSicomoro

Quote:
Mmmm...free cheese is some good shit!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Shawnee123

The relationship between free cheese and shit has never before been described as good.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Cloud

I like those big mountain goats that leap and cavort over the rocks.

What?

oh. goals.

. . .

Nevermind!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Shawnee123

lol @ Cloud!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
The relationship between free cheese and shit has never before been described as good.
My aunt used to qualify for it...and it was pretty damn good! At least, it was in the late '80s.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Shawnee123

Well, any cheese, really, has the rep for not providing a good...s-word.

Actually, my grandma used to get that cheese in that time frame, too. It wasn't bad!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I've also been fighting with some asshole in Australia. He runs the SORBS spam list. His name is Matthew Sullivan and he apparently thinks it's ok to put people on a list even when they don't spam, they prove they have a static IP with rDNS, they install spam firewalls, etc.

He says, "It's not a spam list. It's a list of people who have dynamic IPs". But either way I don't belong on the list. I don't spam or have a dynamic IP.

He thinks it's up to him and his nerdy little friends he plays world of warcraft with, to determine what network settings other people will have.

Unfortunately for some odd reason, legitimate businesses are subscribing to his illegitimate list. I think they just subscribe to them all. But this means we can't send email to anyone at Earthlink, Yahoo, and a number of other very large ISPs and smaller ones.

I sent this guy a very polite letter, and he got snippy and insulting with me, so I sent another polite letter and he eventually started just calling me names. He posted my email in a newsgroup filled with other idiots who run other lists, and our spam load tripled. They deny having anything to do with it, but they have no honor, or integrity. The only list with more false positives than SORBS is SPEWS and some jackass from there wanted to mouth off to me too.

I've done all I can to comply with SORBS, but now I'm going to change ISPs. If they add us to their list again, I'll fly my ass all the way to Australia, beat the living shit out of this guy, and then sue him until he can't afford to live in his mother's basement anymore.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Radar,
After your first post, and the following cheese posts, I felt bad because you obviously have a great work ethic. I'm amazed at anyone who understands the intricacies of the internet.
Having said that, I also want you to know that if it were possible for me(it's not), I would love to go to Australia and kick the snot out of that guy also.
And then come back and eat my government cheese.
Seriously, good luck with your career and goals.
spudcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

My other goals are to increase my income enough so I can actually afford a house in the L.A. area while sending my daughter to private school. (a lofty goal).

I thought you were into that whole home schooling thing.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I am into home schooling. I don't have confidence in my wife to deliver the curriculum. She stopped going to school at age 9 when her parents divorced. She worked to help support her family. I'm too busy paying the bills to do it myself.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
euphoriatheory
Sealed for your protection.

Location: New Hampshire. (It's a real state. It's north of Boston.)
Quote:
Dingle, that's what my husband and I have decided to do if Obama gets elected President. Free health care? Title XX and Section 8?! Why not just get free health care, housing, unemployment, and have 8 kids??! I'm even thinking of letting him run me over with his car so I can get disability.

(Maybe I'm being a little too serious for a Friday night. I just ran into my best friend from high school, who slunk from valedictorian to unmarried mother of two, collecting social security and food stamps. Pisses me off that I get up and go to work every day, and she makes almost as much as me for being a leech on the system, despite the fact that she could have easily been a HUGE contributor to society.)

Sorry.

Anyway, goals. I just got the new job, yay.... now they'll pay for my Master's degree in Early Childhood Education. After that, it's onto Psychology.... I think it would be really rewarding to counsel abused or neglected children. That's totally my dream.
euphoriatheory is offline   Reply With Quote