The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

View Poll Results: What browsers do you support?
Netscape 2 and IE 2 or newer. 1 14.29%
Netscape 3 and IE 3 or newer. 0 0%
Netscape 4 and IE 4 or newer. 2 28.57%
DOM and CSS compatible (Mozilla, IE5, Opera) and newer. 3 42.86%
Only IE6 with Flash, Shockware, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, Real Player, Beatnik, VRML, Java 1.4 or newer. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Gabriel
Sibling of the Commonweal

To XHTML or not to?

I know some sites have strict policies about what browsers they support. But what about those who are just deciding that?

XHTML 1.0 , CSS 2 and ECMAScript are a great way of making a great site: separation of content from presentation (beyond programming MVC, at design level), the posibility of creating new designs and layout just by creating a new CSS file, etc...

Do we still have to do TABLE-based layouts, with up to 4-5 levels of nested TABLEs which are impossible to read by hand, and risk a disaster of some browsers, or just go with layers (DIVs) and CSS positioning?

Sites like A List Apart (http://www.alistapart.com) have gone to great lenghts to convince us that conding according to standards is the right thing to do, but all wise people know that there is no such thing as the "one true thing".

So... what do you support?
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 05:17 PM   #2
dave

Because I am stupid, I hand code all HTML, and it's all generally prett y simple and elegant. I don't use any fancy tools - VIM is it. However, I think there is definitely a place for newer stuff like Flash. I personally want to use Flash on my new site to do some artsy fartsy stuff, but that's just me.

Anyway, the point is, I think for just simple information, straight HTML is fine. For sites where you actually want to <b>present</b> something, do whatever you want. As long as I can view it on Linux
Old 03-10-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've been using plain ol' HTML for 4 years now, and make the setup for my site specifically for NS 4.x (b/c I will never surrender it! ). I've been using FrontPage and IE more recently though, and I try to make sure that the site looks good on both NS and IE.

Sadly, I don't know what XHTML is, although I've heard of it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Vim and hand-coding HTML is the only way to go. Adding CSS to the mix is awesome and can be done easily and bit-by-bit.

Most of the Cellar is old-style and doesn't support a lot of CSS. But people in the know say that if CSS were properly implemented for vBulletin (which runs the Cellar), it could save about a third of the transfer time, because there is so much composition HTML in the software.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 12:59 PM   #5
russotto
Professor

CSS/HTML was a terrible idea and a terrible implementation. They require two entirely different parsers, and in order to properly interpret one standard, a program needs full knowledge of the other.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 01:13 PM   #6
Gabriel
Sibling of the Commonweal

russotto, that's why most browsers are also available as embedable controls (IEcontrol and Mozilla's Gecko can be reused in your app and interacted with at DOM level).

CSS is nice, because it enables style reuse and templating, w/o the need of server-side applications.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote