The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #4036
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

People around here are very polite, and armed.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #4037
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
An armed society is a polite society.
Keryx says that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
… We're an armed society. How does that translate to politeness here? ...
The same way nuclear capable nations go to great lengths to avoid assured mutual destruction. The saying refers to a society where most everyone is armed so that would-be violent criminals are either deterred; or, violent criminal actions are stopped before mass casualties are inflicted. It falls along the lines of God created all people equal, Samuel Colt kept them that way.

But that's not important now. What's important is how the concept of a mostly armed society is reflected in our culture by music. There are lessons to be learned, how to act and not to act, from these songs that shape our emotional beings:

I Shot the Sheriff
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Janie's Got a Gun
Don't Take Your Guns to Town
… etc.

The Cellar: If the thread topic is music, drift it to guns, and vice-versa
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #4038
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
We British are a peaceable and civilised bunch.
We live in a land where debate isn’t characterised by ill tempered exchanges.
A land where arguments are never advanced by personal insult or abuse but by intellectual rigour and the marshalling of incontrovertible facts, or demolished by equally rigorous forensic analysis.
The nature of debate is well illustrated by this Twitter exchange between Jon Snow, Channel 4 News presenter, and Geoffrey Cox, the Attorney General.

Attachment 66738

Link

MP George Eustace this morning on the Sunday Politics South West show:

"Theresa May is an overdried teabag in a Poundland sale."

(Quoted from memory within minutes of the broadcast)

Last edited by Scriveyn; 03-17-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #4039
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ouch.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #4040
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriveyn View Post
MP George Eustace this morning on the Sunday Politics South West show:

"Theresa May is an overdried teabag in a Poundland sale."
I hadn't heard of Mr Eustice but I find this on Wikipedia...

Quote:
Charles George Eustice (born 28 September 1971) is a British Conservative Party politician and former public relations executive...
Presumably not a very successful one.

Link
Old 03-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #4041
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

'Magic fridge' full of cold beer found in flooded Nebraska field

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #4042
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
...This is going to bring about a bad mindset, you mark my words.

The If-you-so-much-as-look-crossways-at-me-Ima-just-kill-ya-cuz-you-might-have-a-gun-too kinda mindset.

We didn't need a permit for open carry, anyway, but this just seems nuts.

Kicker: We join 12 other like-minded states.
That's certainly a popular thought with many people. But allow me to give another perspective that you might not have considered.

What if having a concealed weapon gives people the security to help people in distress? Maybe a motorist having troubles? Someone having very manageable troubles like a flat tire. Or maybe engine trouble of some sort. Maybe you see that this person is vulnerable in some way and nervous or scared.

You aren't billy bad ass rushing out with a gun to shoot everyone but you have a little security just in case. You can be a little vulnerable yourself to assist without completely compromising your safety.

Or maybe you go somewhere out of the way maybe late at night. You see some guy roughing up a woman and yelling at her. He turns to give you an intimidating look. That same look that tells you 'I'm fucking dangerous, don't get involved here, move along'. But he stares into your eyes and reads your demeanor. That demeanor that says 'I'm not prey mother fucker'.

Or maybe you see a confrontation heating up. A couple of guys are arguing and getting increasingly louder, more angry. And maybe I'm there on the sidelines watching this. Maybe I might ask some really fucking stupid ass question to break their concentration knowing that if I break their concentration they'll likely just calm down. And if they turn on me, I have some security.

"Hey guys, really hate to interrupt here but I have a question for ya. Is there a 7-11 around here? I'm dyin' for a Slurpee"

In these cases that have happened to me, I don't yell or shout, don't pull a pistol out and spin it on my finger, but the people involved know that I'm not afraid of them.

Then the question is, he's obviously not afraid of ME, should I be afraid of him?

It's powerful. Predators are experts at assessing risk. At sensing fear. If you can manage that fear with or without a gat, you're probably going to be in a position to avoid troubles. In some cases help people and be a better witness to events.

"Yes, your Honor, I saw that man punch that lady"

While I am sympathetic to people that think negatively about people having concealed guns, my experience and that of millions of others is completely different.

That's probably why we still have the 2nd amendment. Secretly people know and understand that much of the anti-gun narrative is completely false. Despite all the emotional press about guns, I still like to have a piece. I trust myself.

Here's a link with some citizen defensive gun use. Not quite the same as I've detailed here but similar.

And don't forget my favorite pro-gun bumper sticker.

"I'd rather have a gun in my hand than the cops on the phone"
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #4043
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh I'm all for carrying. Concealed or otherwise. But have the permit to carry concealed. Flag that fact when the license plate is run "This individual is on the list of ppl carrying concealed. Be warned."

And, I ain't stopping to help nobody. If I'm concerned enough, which I usually ain't, I'll go down the road and call 911 for them. That's as involved as I get, pretty much. Of course there are situations where I would get involved.

But, generally, I ain't getting involved cuz now urrbody got a gat in they belt. Those ppl in distress you mentioned, they got guns, too, now. Everybody wants to kill you. You now have to live that way.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #4044
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Cops will start frisking everybody they stop. I believe that's how this made it to law.

Car/person searches will go through the roof, mark my words.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #4045
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I wonder how the other states that don't require a permit handle this? And what their numbers are?

I've never had problems in any regard. Even after law enforcement arrives. Or if they aren't even dispatched.

That could change in a second though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
...Those ppl in distress you mentioned, they got guns, too, now. Everybody wants to kill you. You now have to live that way.
We live in different worlds I guess.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #4046
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I stop and help strangers.

I don't carry a gun.

I'm not afraid.

When I am afraid, I don't stop. I use my judgement. I like the idea of having more tools in my toolkit, but I don't want a gun. In my opinion, the risk of a bad outcome is a lot higher than the chance of a good outcome, so, no gun.

As for the second amendment, I believe in and support our Constitution. I also think that there are sensible rules that can be applied to gun ownership that are not being applied. Rules that sensible, reasonable people can agree to that would have the net effect of making everyone safer.

The rule highlighted by Grav will not, in my opinion, make everyone safer.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #4047
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

My viewpoint comes from an incident that happened a few years ago in the next town over.

Well known local guy stopped to help a couple with their hood up on the side of the road. It was an ambush robbery. When the good guy got out to help, the man pulled out a knife and started stabbing, the woman grabbed the man around his legs so he couldn't get away from the bad guy. They took his wallet out of his pants while he lay in the road bleeding to death. This happened on a main street of the town, a state highway.

The killers put their hood down and drove away and were never caught.

It had been ~20 years since the last outright murder in that town.

It's situations like that that keep my head on a swivel, and Sturm, Ruger & Company close at hand.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #4048
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That guy wasn't afraid, and he didn't carry a gun.

I guarantee he died terrified. And if he died unafraid, he still died.

People are rotten.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #4049
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If they weren't caught how do they know she grabbed his legs and grabbed his wallet, did somebody see them or video camera?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #4050
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Witnesses that drove by while it was happening. This was broad daylight on a main thoroughfare.