xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Forecast...
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2016, 04:06 AM   #80
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

heh very good.

Many brits are now apparently experiencing 'buyer's remorse'. With one of them being a leading Sun columnist who has been a prominent voice for the Leave campaign:

Quote:
After Brexit came “Bregret.”

A number of British voters have publicly expressed their regret over voting "Leave" in the historic referendum last Thursday when the majority of voters elected to leave the European Union.

Since then, the British Prime Minister David Cameron has resigned, the Pound has reached its lowest value since the mid-1980s and stocks have been crushed.

Several "Leave" voters have reacted to the turmoil by saying that they wish they could take back their vote. One of the latest to express his regret is Kelvin Mackenzie, columnist for the Sun newspaper, which backed Leave.

“When I put my cross against Leave I felt a surge as though for the first time in my life my vote did count. I had power,” Mackenzie wrote in today’s the Sun. “Four days later I don’t feel quite the same. I have buyer’s remorse. A sense of be careful what you wish for. To be truthful I am fearful of what lies ahead. Am I alone?”

It appears that Mackenzie is not alone. In the Independent, columnist Emily Tierney, wrote Sunday that she “Bregrexit.”

“What have we done?” she wrote. “If I could take my vote back now, I would. I’m ashamed of myself, and I want my country back.”

One voter told the BBC that he was shocked that a majority of voters had voted to Leave and that he didn’t think his own Leave vote was going to matter because he expected most people would vote to remain.

Others expressed their regret on social media.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=40158309

A poll done for the Mail on Sunday suggests that of the 17.4 million people who voted Leave, somewhere around 11 million regret their vote.

I think a lot of people treated this referendum as a referendum on Westminster - a way to say Fuck you to the government and political elite

Even those who genuinely wanted the benefits of Brexit claimed by the Leave campaign have now learned that they may have been missold. The two biggest things that sold Brexit, aside from the rather amorphous claims that we could 'take our country back' were an end to free movement of EU citizens to Britain and the funneling of the money we currently send to the EU into the NHS instead. Neither of those things now look remotely likely.

We've gone from being one of the biggest players and powerbrokers in the EU to a fringe state with no voice and no power in Europe, whilst still heavily dependent on the EU for trade and industry relations. The forecasts for our country's economic future look bleak. The most optimistic is that we can retain access to the single market - but we'll do so with no voice or vote in the shaping of that market, whilst still having to adhere to its rules and strictures.

Last edited by DanaC; 06-30-2016 at 04:25 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:20 AM   #81
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

How likely is the second referendum people are petitioning for?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #82
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It would require some politician with balls. Unfortunately those few routinely lie to the public. Cameron could have said either he gets a revote or they must dethrone him. That would require balls to put his entire legacy on the line.

No one wants to set precedence; constantly revoting on any referendum. So Englishmen should suffer economically. Other nations are right to say that is good. Especially since it should be a wakeup call to anyone who votes for Trump - or voted for Berlusconi.

A referendum on condemnation is just as likely (and productive). UK can vote to retract the citizenship of Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and some Sun reporters who could not bother to learn facts before making conclusions. Apparently a requirement to work for Murdoch.

Of course, that also will not happen. But it should. Since 'leavers' lied to everyone - even themselves. "Send them back to Syria." Since they and not immigrants are the problem.

Not all Britains voted for Brexit. But every British citizen can and should be criticized for stupidity. Feel free to criticize every UK citizen for voting for change: from a biggest player and powerbroker in the EU and world into a fringe state with no voice and no power. Amazing how so many British adults vote like children. How many Americans were just as easily manipulated to vote for Cruz, Fiorina, or Trump?

Last edited by tw; 06-30-2016 at 09:03 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #83
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Not all Britains voted for Brexit
Correct - a little over half of the people who voted, voted to leave.

A little under half the people who voted, voted to remain.

Leaving is the stated will of 17.4 million people. The population of the UK is a little over 64 million.

So fuck you with your 'every British citizen' can be called stupid.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #84
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Were they all named Jonah?
Oh, come on. That was funny. Kids lost in Wales? Ba dum dum...

Branyway, I'm getting brannoyed at all the brabrreviations. Not breally, it just seemed a bramusing thing to post.

(probably not called abbreviations? What do you call it...like Bennifer or Brangelina...?)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #85
Beest
Adapt and Survive

I don't think such a big change should have been decided on a simple majority.

Some thing like a super majority, 60%, 67%, of all citizens elligible to vote, so not just those who bothered to turn up.

The whole thing was giant cluster fuck
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #86
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ha! I honestly didn't get it the first time, infi. You are too sharp sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey
Branyway, I'm getting brannoyed at all the brabrreviations. Not breally, it just seemed a bramusing thing to post.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #87
infinite monkey

Old 06-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #88
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Oh, come on. That was funny. Kids lost in Wales? Ba dum dum...

(probably not called abbreviations? What do you call it...like Bennifer or Brangelina...?)
Ahh, the portmanteaux. That's the word. Brut that doesn't brassist with my brantics.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #89
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
So fuck you with your 'every British citizen' can be called stupid.
Unfortunately that is the nature of an election (or referendum). Everyone takes responsibility (or blame) for the results. We (all Americans) massacred 5000 American soldiers for no purpose in Iraq. Completely irrelevant whether I said George Jr (actually Cheney) was a liar. We all decided to massacre them for no useful purpose. We all take blame because a majority did not try to protect them.

All Britains must now take responsibility for those consequences (or flee to Scotland and demand succession or flee to the EU as an immigrant). You do have options.

Does a UK citizenship still provide some rights or privileges in Canada?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #90
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Doesn't it look a little like the astro-turfing we get here when the elite want something so they create the support?