The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

How has your personality screwed you over today?

I run a big annual event at my kids' school, like a thrift sale for outgrown uniforms. It's a massive event, with over 3,000 items each year personally sorted and hung on hangers by yours truly. Tomorrow is the big day. I have a bunch of volunteers coming to help with setup and the sale itself.

Unfortunately there were some time mixups, so I will be getting the doors unlocked at 9:00 and must field the early-access shoppers at 9:30, the big mass of people at 10:00. Not enough time. So I went today thinking I would kind of get a few things in place, lay stuff out for the volunteers so it would go a little faster.

And then I just stayed for 3 hours and did the whole thing.

I'm exhausted and sore, AND now all these volunteers are going to show up at 9:00 tomorrow and have absolutely nothing to do, all because I'm a stupid overachiever who can't walk away from a half finished job.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

set them to receive last minute donations and process. Doesn't matter if there aren't any
Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My personality defects screw me over every single day.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Er, but not to make it about me. I think yeah, in a case like this, "Oh I got started and couldn't help myself," should make anybody sensible just smile and think, I've been there, and anyway it saved me a bit of work, I'm cool with that.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
glatt

So how did it go this morning, Clodfobble?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
It hasn't, yet. The day ain't over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
My personality defects screw me over every single day.
This.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Er, but not to make it about me.
Everyone should! The thread was framed as a second-person question, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
So how did it go this morning, Clodfobble?
Horrific but awesome. On the horrific side, the swiper for credit card sales broke, and I had to type in every card by hand, including name and everything. Also, the A/C was malfunctioning, and it definitely got to 95, maybe 100 degrees inside the small gym where we were. (It was 100 outside, and we had the doors open to cool off, but part of that included a slight breeze.) It got a lot better after the crowd died down and the sun got higher than the floor-to-ceiling windows. But we were all drenched in sweat.

On the awesome side, we managed. My volunteers kicked ass, and got another 300 or so new donations sorted and up on hangers while the event was going on. Preliminary sales count is $3,684, and we generally add another 30-40% during "Meet the Teacher" nights, i.e. Monday-Thursday of the coming week.

As of right now, I'm happy-tired. Tomorrow, I suspect I will be in a lot more pain.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well done!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How? Let me count the ways, let me count the days.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well done, Clod.

As for my personality ... my communication is typically almost all truth and little grace.
Nuff said?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
glatt

Sometimes my attention to detail is lacking.

I sold my cousin's house back in March. Assumed that signing all the paperwork letting the county real estate department know about the deed change would be shared with the water,trash, and sewer office at the county.

Duh. Of course not. So now they expect me to pay for 5 months of water usage by the new owners.

Fuck.

I screwed up. We'll see how this plays out. They used a lot of water. Maybe somebody stole pipes out of the house and let the water fill the basement.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #12
Clodfobble

Are the new owners being jackholes about it? Surely they understand it was their water.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
glatt

I have not tried contacting them. The house is vacant now, about to be torn down. . Not sure I want to bother contacting them. I'll probably talk to the lawyer to see if the estate can just pay the bill. It's supposed to be something like $900. I bet pipes got ripped out by meth heads.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's not the kind of pipe they smoke meth out of.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I got thrown out of a bar in New York City.

Words were exchanged, and Billy Joe Badass decided to throw hands. He didn't connect, either time. The guy what runs the joint told Billy Joe to leave and not come back. He told me to leave and come back tomorrow.