The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #61
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Styrofoam peanuts + H20 + sand + sunlight ===> NEW life on earth
Like Doodle God!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #62
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

if anyone in philly wants my big ass double leaf dining room table and 6 excellent chairs, please contact me.

i also have a big ass cabinet for putting dining room shit into

all are of the same hard wood and staining. my ex got all this shit in 1995 and it's all still in good condition, as if there was never really much of a life led around them. she has excellent taste in furniture that would fit well in any nice home that someone would simply abandon at some point in the future.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #63
glatt

It sounds like that furniture is CURSED

We bought a bed on Craigslist for the boy. If you don't get any takers here, a couple pictures on craigslist might help them move. A young couple looking to furnish a new home will be checking out craigslist hoping they can get some nice furniture and be happy to see yours posted.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #64
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

When we were getting rid of all my dad's fancy old furniture, we sent photos to a consignment store and they came to pick the stuff up themselves in their truck. Now they just send me a check when something sells.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #65
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This afternoon I looked at a little farmhouse, built in the 30s, that new development forgot to tear down and replace.

It sits on a hill with a partly-paved driveway you have to back down. The exterior is a ridiculous combination of filthy stucco, fake brick face, about ten feet of modern siding, and unfinished concrete.

Because it's a farmhouse, the interior layout is just ridiculous. Most floors are painted wood. Most floors are uneven. All rooms are tiny. Every replacement window is a different make. The roof is not shingled, it has some other type of covering that I don't know about.

It has a large back yard, and beautiful woods, including a secret path down to the nearby Perkiomen Trail. So it's awesome for walking exercise, and for the dog.

The damp unfinished basement is not good for anything but laundry and storage. It doesn't look like it takes on water, it was raining while I looked at it. There were no signs of flooding, but it is "farmhouse damp". A good-sized dehumidifier could change things, probably improve living conditions as well.

An alarm system is installed, so it would only be a call to the alarm company to set up security. It's not like I have anything worth stealing, but maybe the nearby college student housing is a problem. There were two recent Natural Light empties out front, and a bunch of glass shit some student threw down the hill instead of discarding in a proper bin. It would be a pain in the ass to have Natty Light-drinking students walking around my domicile, but at least nobody is going to be drunk on that shit.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #66
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

How much for a place like that and how big is it UT?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #67
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Despite all the negs, I really hope I get it. It's a little farmhouse. I think that's cool.

Here you can see the Cellar Car, the awesome woods, and the ridiculous front of the farmhouse. You can see the dirty stucco, fake brickface, and around the front door you can see modern siding. Obviously this place has been maintained by somebody who just plain doesn't give a shit. I think that's funny. Anyone know WTF that roof is coated with?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #68
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As size, there are 3 rooms on the top floor, but one is more of a den because it doesn't have its own entrance. All the rooms are tiny - the dining room would not be big enough for my two-leaf dining room table.

Rent is $1050. That is about 2/3rds of what the same sized apartment goes for, around here.

They want an additional month's worth of security deposit for a pet, even though tiny little Pearl couldn't do that amount of damage in her lifetime.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #69
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

looks like roll roofing. same material as asphalt shingles, but in roll form. I used it for my roofing (there's a thread around here somewhere). It's popular for low pitch rooves. Also, it may be the case that the roofing material, whatever it is (sure looks like some kind of rolled material) has been coated with some kind of sealant. lots of flat or near flat rooves are coated in silvery sealant as protection against water intrusion due to the slower pace of runoff with a lower slope.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #70
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I hope you get it too!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #71
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I hope you get it too!

Tiny rooms can be cozy . Slap some paint on the front and tie all that together. Good thing about the roofing material roof is that if you have a leak, you can just lay some tarpaper and sealant on it and you're (cheaply) good to go.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #72
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wow that's a lot of rent. Does it include utilities?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #73
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
I hope you get it too!

Tiny rooms can be cozy . Slap some paint on the front and tie all that together. Good thing about the roofing material roof is that if you have a leak, you can just lay some tarpaper and sealant on it and you're (cheaply) good to go.
presuming you can find the leak. water is devious and occult.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #74
glatt

I like it.

What kind of heat? I'm guessing oil, but only because it looks like an oil kind of place.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #75
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The rent doesn't include utilities. The heat is oil and the mystery compunds there, because there's an oil tank in the basement AND another one outside. The agent thought the one in the basement was the "active" one, even though the one outside looks newer. Also there is a propane tank outside even though nothing inside runs on gas. Obviously someone didn't give a shit. I think it's funny.