The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #10261
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Or ...be cordial, and lean in to give her a hallo hug and whisper "you've lied to everybody and made up a story about me sleeping with a man and giving you an std - how sad is that?"

Then break straight away, still smiling and speak to someone else, like all you said was a friendly greeting and a comment about your daughter's wedding.
I like this a lot. The kids know the truth though, so don't give her any power.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #10262
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
... the 14 years of our marriage before we split up ...
Thank you for keeping her away from the rest of us for all that time. You're a good man Charlie Brown.

Oh, and just tell people you're her ex-beard.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #10263
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
She was smart enough to choose something that most people wouldn't pursue out of embarrassment and sympathy for the victim. STD covers a lot of ground and there are many that don't show outward symptoms.

She may be evil, but not stupid.
*clink clink clink*

"Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your... ladies and gentlemen... there's something I need to say on behalf of... that woman over there.

I know she's let on to... a few of you, that we've shared a secret all these years, and there's something I need to get clear with everyone in this room.

It's all true.

I'm just sorry that it was something so serious, so dangerous, and, obviously, you know, incurable.

I know that you'll feel less of me; I just hope you won't feel less of her. It's something she's had to deal with for a long time, and unless there's some sort of breakthrough, something she'll have to deal with for the rest of her life. Shortened though it probably will be.

But at least she has the luxury of someone to blame. I can only blame myself, and that... dark alley... that late night... and the booze. The booze had its good times - without it we couldn't have produced these marvelous children. But when you're blackout shitfaced in a big city, sometimes life becomes unpredictable.

Anyway! It's my one big regret in a lifetime of supporting all you people and being the most gracious human being and family member I can be, and now that I've confessed, I'm out --" *drops the mic and walks away*
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #10264
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hehehehe. Very good.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:56 AM   #10265
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Because it's on my mind I may as well share.
My Auntie by marriage (Dad's brother's widow) broke her hip over Easter. She knew she was in a bad way, but hid it from her sons and her care workers.

When my cousin found out he immediately had her taken to hospital, X-rayed etc.
She was discharged temporarily to a care home, where she had more falls (HOW?! but that's another topic) and readmitted to hospital.

She will now be discharged home. Social Services can offer four visits a day, none at night. She is a severe risk in terms of falls, she is incontinent. But she's a bloody tough old East Londoner. Because her psych eval shows she is compos mentis, the hospital is legally bound to respect her choice and she refuses to go to a care home. She says they'll have to take her out of her flat on a board. But what kind of a life is that? Lying in a soiled bed until the first carer arrives, waiting for someone to come and feed you? How can that be worse than being looked after 24 hours?

This hurts me because although she's not actually blood, she's definitely family. She put up with Ted and his temper and alcoholism for years, lived through the Blitz, brought up two boys only to have one shattered into pieces by a motorcycle accident (Tony has artificial legs and metal plates in his skull) and loved and looked after my Mum when she was a young bride and new mother.

She's an amazing woman, in an unamazing way if you get what I mean.
She didn't change the world, but she worked hard, played hard, saved money, raised kids, looked after her neighbours and kept a home.
And now she refuses to be looked after.

I don't get it.
I wasn't cast from her mould.
If someone offered to look after me for the rest of my life I'd bite their hand off. After they signed the papers of course.
It's not even as if she owns the flat - it's rented from a charitable trust, so she's not spending any "inheritance" she wants to pass on to her sons. Her sons who want her to be happy, but also really want her to be safe.

Oh yeah, and she's a cancer survivor.
Of course.
Sigh.

I can't say they don't make them like that any more, but I will always hold in my heart the night Mum, Auntie Joyce and I hit the vodka and stayed up well after the husbands went to bed. I don't treasure the drinking, but I do remember the stories. And I had my first Bloody Mary the next day (and I hated tomato juice). "Get that down you gel, hair of the dog!" I didn't dare refuse.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #10266
glatt

She sounds like she has always been tough, and is continuing to be that way now. Lately I have seen 4 elderly people at that same stage in life, and every single one of them behaved the same way. "Don't take me to the hospital or a nursing home. Let me stay here in my own home." Sometimes they get that wish, but usually not.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #10267
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Meh.

Just take 'em for "a ride in the country". Y'know, to "live on a farm"...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #10268
monster
I hear them call the tide

Good on her. I feel her pain, I would hate to be "looked after" 24/7. Or at all, in fact.

Look at this this way, the soiled sheets are unlikely to cause her much discomfort and her sense of smell probably isn't all that great. She can stay awake reading all night if she wants with no-one nagging her. All her things are around her, the sounds are familiar, and no-one is being wheeled off on a gurney with a toe tag in the middle of the night.

She's in her dominion and can ask anyone who treats her unkindly to leave. She can make her own decisions, whether they're sensible or not. I can't understand someone happily relinquishing any control to anyone else, One night in hospital is absolute torture for me to the point where they agree it's better for me to be released, even if I just had a C-section the night before or a stroke. maybe she's the same way. Horses for courses, I guess.

Try to be happy that she's still her old self and has the balls to make decisions that are right for her rather than cowtowing to the wishes of her family members who want to make life easier/less worrisome for themselves. I know that sounds harsh, but think about it -she's clearly smart enough to know what risks she's taking. People want her in a home so THEY won't be worried -which is nice but in the end that's a thing about them not her
Old 06-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #10269
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

To be fair to them, they don't want her having to live with bedsores, lesions, black eyes and broken bones.

But I appreciate the flip side better now. I'll try that approach with Mum next time she is worrying herself about Joyce. Because it does make sense to celebrate the way she has decided to live.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #10270
monster

Thor's last few schooldays in middle school are all going to hell in a handbasket. he suddenly stopped turning in work and the grades for his two high school credit classes have plummeted but no-one alerted us and we only just found out, he got confused between the after-party for graduation (which he wants to go to) and the Cedar Point trip (which he doesn't) and we can't find the appropriate permission slips and it's in two days.

in no way is he ready or prepared for high school. it's all going to be a fucking disaster.
plus we have hebe's high school gra dparty on Friday, weather forecast is shite and house is a dump and I'm running on fuck all sleep
Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #10271
it
Banned

Sounds like a stressful week ahead Monster, but hopefully in a run-around-like-crazy last-moment-manageable kind of way,and not the actual disaster way...

As far as highschool...
Was anyone prepared for high school?
In any point in the history of schooling?

I am pretty sure the reality of the next stage in life falling on you like a brick at the end of any previous stage of life is how we've collectively decided as a civilization to haze our children. Couldn't we do pranks instead? Something a bit more lighthearted...
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #10272
monster

Yes my older two were prepared and more than ready. Nothing prepared us for Thor. Oh well....
Old 06-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #10273
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My friend who had brain cancer died this morning. I am very sad. He was the first boy I ever kissed, and my first major crush. Gone too soon from a family already struck by tragedy. His sister died only a couple of months ago.

Life is so harsh sometimes.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:04 AM   #10274
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

So sorry Ali. Fuck cancer.

Sent by thought transference
Old 06-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #10275
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yeah. Fuck cancer. I am surprised at how much grief I feel. I guess sometimes it just gets you when you least expect it.

Tags
swiss