The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-27-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sept 28th, 2018: Number One Plate

NY was the first to register automobiles but you had to make your plate. MA was the first to issue plates.
MA has always been expensive to own a car because of crooked politicians greed in collusion with Insurance companies and the taxman.

Quote:
The Massachusetts Legislature passed a bill in 1892, creating a Commission of Inquiry that noted more than 90 percent of the roads were in very poor condition and were only going to get worse as traffic increased. This investigation led to the creation of the Massachusetts Highway Commission a year later; it was one of the first such governmental bodies in the country to “improve the public roads, and to define its powers and duties,” according to the 1893 Commission Report.
I couldn’t find a picture of the first year plates which were dark blue with white numbers and had “MASS. AUTOMOBILE REGISTER” across the top.

Quote:
Meanwhile, wealthy Henry Lee Higginson (he was the founder of Boston Symphony Orchestra) was growing tired of cars regularly exceeding the speed limit of 15 miles an hour on the roads near his summer estate. He submitted a petition in 1903 about his problem entitled, “A Petition Relative to Licensing Automobiles and Those Operating the Same.” Higginson had influential friends.

By June of that same year, as a way of creating the revenue to improve the roads, as well as identifying cars involved in newly created traffic infractions, Massachusetts passed a provision in Chapter 473 of the Acts of 1903, creating the “automobile department” (headed by Elting O’Hara, the highway commission board’s stenographer). As Higginson suggested, the new “automobile department” required all automobile owners to register their cars and pay the two dollar fee each year; in exchange, license plates were issued to each registered car.
Frederick Tudor

Quote:
Massachusetts was the first state in the nation to issue plates, and by New Year’s Eve 1903, 3,241 automobiles and 502 motorcycles (in addition to 692 chauffeur licenses and car manufacturer licenses) helped deposit $17,684 into the state treasury. The very first license plate issued by a state government (Number 1) was issued on September 1, 1903, to Frederick Tudor of Brookline. Not only was Tudor just the right man at the right time, but he was working with the highway commission at the time and he just so happened to be the nephew of Henry Lee Higginson.
link
Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that's clearly an I
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not in l9l0.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
glatt

They did a really good job painting around his head. I wonder what they were obstructing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Looks like it might me a newspaper photograph, probably painted to provide contrast to the background... or hide his horns.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

probably a sign that says tag # i
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'm not sure I could wear a coat like that.

I'd always be getting confused by all the buttons.

It'd take me thirty minutes to put on my coat.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And a built in seatbelt.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That's a "shelter in place" coat.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote