The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #61
glatt

There's a guy who sells newspapers at the metro station by my office. He makes eye contact with everyone who gets off the escalator each morning and says "have a blessed day' at first it didn't bug me, but after a while it became incredibly annoying. I actually used to get pissed off as I started to approach the escalator and knew what was coming.

It seems to me that if you routinely bless everyone you come across each day, it ceases to have any meaning. It's a holier than thou, almost hypocritical, move. Insincere. You shouldn't bless anyone unless they want to be blessed. Feel free to pray for them to yourself if you want, but don't try to get credit for it by telling them about it unless you know they would want to hear it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #62
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
What are you on about?
I'm on about you being an hater.

you do this all the time. I say something that is meant to be funny....in my own particular idiom of over the top spazzing out way.....

and you stroll by and take it seriously as though i am 100% serious or ACTUALLY angry in real life about whatever it is....and then you climb up on your high horse and pass judgment on me and anyone else that has been seen in my company.

I expect that you prod me specifically because you enjoy my reactions. a little trollish of you, I think. why don't you stop it?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #63
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Speaking of blessings, I remember when I used to go to church and the priest would say to the congregation "May God bless you." And the congregation would reply "God bless you" back to the priest.

Sounds all good and fair right? WRONG!

Ok, so the priest says to us 'bless you' so we, the congregation, have to take that one single blessing and split it amongst ourselves so I get a whopping one one-hundreth or so of one blessing. What's that gonna get me? But the priest, to whom the full-on one hundred of us said 'bless you father' gets one hundred blessings! Yeah, sounded so good at first blush but start deconstructing things a bit and we, the congregation were getting hosed while the priest was raking in the goodness.

I actually asked that question in Cathecism once. The room full of blank or horrified stares that I got back confirmed what I had pretty much already figured out.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #64
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Fuckin' Father, always bogartin' the blessings.

(One more in the "going to hell" column.)

Last edited by Shawnee123; 04-23-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #65
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I'm on about you being an hater.

you do this all the time. I say something that is meant to be funny....in my own particular idiom of over the top spazzing out way.....

and you stroll by and take it seriously as though i am 100% serious or ACTUALLY angry in real life about whatever it is....and then you climb up on your high horse and pass judgment on me and anyone else that has been seen in my company.

I expect that you prod me specifically because you enjoy my reactions. a little trollish of you, I think. why don't you stop it?
Great Googly Moogly, Jim. It's not always all about you. Yours was not the most vitriolic message in the thread by far and I did not single you out.

But the dogpile on the blessed woman got pretty high and I felt it was time for an alternate viewpoint. That's the point of a message board like this, yeah?

It's possible that the woman is a sanctimonious bible-thumper. But maybe not. Not all Christians are like that and I will point it out when the subject comes up.

And don't try to tell me this thread was just for laughs. There was some venting behind your humor.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #66
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Great Googly Moogly, Jim. It's not always all about you. Yours was not the most vitriolic message in the thread by far and I did not single you out.
Quote:
Should anyone here be offended when Jim uses 'cock' in a message? Doesn't he expect us to take it in the spirit it was intended?

Quote:
And don't try to tell me this thread was just for laughs. There was some venting behind your humor.
I didn't try to tell you that it was just for laughs. I tried to tell you that it wasn't 100% serious, and that you should stop trying to treat the things I say like that.

but whatever. you go ahead and do what makes you feel good. listen to the beatles, pray for stuff, eat healthy foods, and play your bass.

I'm gonna go stand over here now.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #67
dar512

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I didn't try to tell you that it was just for laughs. I tried to tell you that it wasn't 100% serious, and that you should stop trying to treat the things I say like that.

but whatever. you go ahead and do what makes you feel good. listen to the beatles, pray for stuff, eat healthy foods, and play your bass.

I'm gonna go stand over here now.
First of all, I already said I wasn't particularly talking to you. The 'cock' thing was just an example of something that people could take exception to but shouldn't because people should take stuff the way it's intended.

But if you really want to make it about you, I was talking to the part of you that was part serious.

Ah Jim you know me so well. I like the Beatles well enough, but they're not a thing for me. Also I have Crohn's disease so eating healthy really isn't an option for me. But I do pray and play the bass from time to time. Thanks for your permission.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

sorry, but this needs to be said
Old 04-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #69
dar512

Oh noes. Jim's devastating wit. I am wounded unto death.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #70
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you want me
Old 04-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #71
dar512

To do my yardwork.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #72
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ya know what's funny?

when you click through that blahblahblah video to youtube, the related video list includes a rick roll
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #73
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Speaking of blessings, I remember when I used to go to church and the priest would say to the congregation "May God bless you." And the congregation would reply "God bless you" back to the priest.

Sounds all good and fair right? WRONG!

Ok, so the priest says to us 'bless you' so we, the congregation, have to take that one single blessing and split it amongst ourselves so I get a whopping one one-hundreth or so of one blessing. What's that gonna get me? But the priest, to whom the full-on one hundred of us said 'bless you father' gets one hundred blessings! Yeah, sounded so good at first blush but start deconstructing things a bit and we, the congregation were getting hosed while the priest was raking in the goodness.

I actually asked that question in Cathecism once. The room full of blank or horrified stares that I got back confirmed what I had pretty much already figured out.
You devil you.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #74
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I just receipted a check from a customer, and as she left, she wished me a Bless'd day.

Didn't really bother me. She was nice.

Am I mellowing, or was it just because she said it to me, personally, as opposed to an insincere voicemail with a 'form letter' blessing referenced in the OP? anyway, it reminded me of this thread.

boy, I'm glad that dar512 guy doesn't post here anymore. the pole up his ass had a pole up it's ass.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #75
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This greeting happens every day at the pawn shop.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote