The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Death By a Thousand Cuts

As I am working my way around my house I find it has suffered "death from a thousand cuts"; the majority of what is broken/damaged in the house is in the sub-ten dollar repair range, but the number of sub-ten problems is enormous. The aerator in the sink is missing, the rocker switch on the lights for the range hood is broken, the lights are out in the range hood, two of the refrigerator door shelves are missing, the knobs on the range are broken, multiple small (smaller than fist, bigger than finger) holes in the walls, noxious weeds over-taking all the established beds, broken window pane in the potting shed, broken mullion strip, (How the fuck do you break a mullion strip?) pull cord on the mower broken… and on and on. Then there are the more expensive repairs...
There’s cute clumsy and pathological klutziness. She is in the latter camp. None of her destruction is deliberate or consciously perpetrated, it's a part of her mental illness, same as her mother, to be surrounded by broken things, and to fuck up anything that is nice and new.

But it’s a new regime and the kids are being taught to keep things up front and touching. Taking a page from Milton Erickson’s book, I wait until they are all very comfy doing something they really like and then I summon them to the infraction in question with a loving smile and plenty of good cheer and remind them that they need to put the towel on the hook or their clothes in their hamper or the milk back in the fridge. We’ll see if they eventually learn to do things preemptively in order not to be drawn from their favorite activities.

I’ll let you know how this works out.
Anything chaos inducing, destructive, or grime creating was embraced by the old regime, not so much with the new regime.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
The aerator in the sink is missing
I'll take this one at random. All of them are wtf, but I can't really understand this. Let's say a bunch of sandy grit gets in the aerator and blocks the flow a little bit. That's the only reason to remove an aerator. So she reaches for a wrench and pulls the aerator off. This is a fair amount of work. You have to go find a wrench. You have to figure out which way to turn the aerator, and it's confusing because it's upside down and you have to turn it the wrong way. After successfully going through all that trouble, the next step of cleaning the grit out of the aerator is so effortless, why would you set the aerator aside where it would get lost? A faucet without an aerator splatters water all over the place. I'd rather have restricted flow than that splatter. I just don't see how you could get into that situation and stay there.

I mean, it's only an aerator, but wtf?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

So you moved back into your house? Did she move out? Are you living in that house with your kids, then? How long were you gone? She broke all that stuff in what amount of time? What's a mullion? Do I ask too many questions? Are these questions annoying you? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? What does it mean to 'chuck wood'? Can you chuck things besides wood, like a felt tip pen or something? Can you chuck a wall? Is that why there are holes in the wall?

I wait these here for answers, when time is that you have when to answer them.

(and congrats on getting your home back, though I don't understand the 'stances.)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

A mullion is the thin strip of wood that separates the individual panes of glass in a window that has multiple panes of glass.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh, thanks. I thought it was maybe the hairstyle of the masses in the 80s.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
After successfully going through all that trouble, the next step of cleaning the grit out of the aerator is so effortless, why would you set the aerator aside where it would get lost?
Nope, the next step in death to the offender, bam, right in the trash. No though to, or understanding of, future consequences. Goes with the illness.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
After successfully going through all that trouble, the next step of cleaning the grit out of the aerator is so effortless, why would you set the aerator aside where it would get lost? A faucet without an aerator splatters water all over the place. I'd rather have restricted flow than that splatter. I just don't see how you could get into that situation and stay there.

I mean, it's only an aerator, but wtf?
I'll admit it, when I was younger I removed and subsequently threw out an aerator. We have hard water around here, and the aerators don't get blocked with rinse-able sand, but calcium and lime buildup. They're a pain to clean if you don't have a bottle of CLR-equivalent handy. And when they're clogged, they don't just restrict flow, they cause that same splattery horribleness that an un-aerated flow does, only perhaps moreso. So I tossed it, and said to myself, "I'll go to Home Depot and get another one of those..." Except ultimately we replaced the whole faucet fixture before I managed to get around to it.

Now we have a whole-house water filter, so it doesn't happen nearly as often, and when it does I know how to use the CLR.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh, I just remembered, I had another one snap in my fingers as I was trying to clean it. It just got too old and brittle. But that time I got myself a replacement.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
...That's the only reason to remove an aerator...
Au contraire, mon frere!

There are times, my good man, when one wishes to indulge in a certain activity, a rite, if you will, where one requires a bowl of fine herb to burned, with the resulting gasses/fumes/vapors to be inhaled, and held until one's mind is, once again, at ease, and then, exhaled.

Occasionally, the pipe needs a new screen.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'm with Infi on the questions. Except mullion - I heard some friends use another word entirely today for that, began with A, can't remember what they said. And the haircut - mullet. But y'all knew that

Sent by thought transference
Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

foot, sounds like she did to your house in a year or so, what my husband is capable of in a weekend.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mullions and muntins.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
Aliantha

Oh yeah, my husband likes to think his ineptitude is funny. I think he's finally starting to realise that I expect a real man to make more of an effort.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

That sounded really cunty
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
Aliantha

Yep. I am a real bitch of a woman sometimes. I think at the moment i have admitted to myself that i am not happy, so all the things that i used to just live with just seem really fucking annoying and pathetic right now. I am hoping these feelings will pass. Till then, you will all have to put up with my bitching for a bit. Sorry.