The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
breakingnews
Q_Q

spam, spam, spam with a side of spam

What's up with spam over the past three months? I've noticed a considerable increase in the amount of shit coming to my yahoo account (the address of which I use fairly liberally), but now my gmail account is getting flooded with dozens of message a day.

For the latest 30-day period, I presently have 1056 messages in my gmail spam folder (messages auto-delete after a month). That's a lot of fucking spam. Not all of that was automatically routed, though - I still have "report spam" anywhere from five to 15 messages a day. It's really fucking annoying.

Someone have an answer? A solution? I can make you (pot) brownies if you solve my spam innundation.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Well, you'll just have to stop listing your gmail address on sendmemorefuckingspam.com's guestbook.

What did you do that helped that address propogate so quickly?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
breakingnews
Q_Q

I have no idea. I've kept my gmail address closely guarded, only used it for a few important things like bank account registration, etc.

As far as I know, it's not published publicly anywhere on the net. I am just a spam magnet, I guess.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

that's the part that's not making sense. Spammers don't become psychically aware of addresses, so someplace you used it was either not secure, or existed just to catch addresses.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Or you pissed off someone who knows your email address, and they've gone and signed you up for everything they can think of as revenge.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
I can make you (pot) brownies if you solve my spam innundation.
Kill the account being spammed and let me send you a new invite.

I'll send you my mailing address for the yummy dessert treats in a PM...
Old 04-24-2005, 02:22 AM   #7
breakingnews
Q_Q

Oh, I'm already squatting on four different gmail accounts. I use one for really important shit - forward critical messages/attachments to that account for safekeeping.

I would switch to that one or one of the others, but then I'd have to tell everyone that I have a different address AGAIN. That means it will be another full 12 months before my parents send e-mails to the proper account.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Forward all spam to SPAM@UCE.GOV
Commerce department address for receiving forwarded spam.
I think they make Sally Struthers eat it.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Are they buildling a list of people who aren't just "going along" with the spam, though? Will there be special government mind control spam sent to you?

Old 04-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Lately I've seen a lot with misspellings. For example, "whore" = "wohre", "cheerleader" = "cherleder", etc.

Call me pedantic, but this offends me far more than the actual intended content of the message.

About a year or so ago I was also seeing some that used ASCII art to spell out things to get around the filters. I actually had a grudging amount of respect for this tactic, which I thought was pretty clever. (Clever enough that whoever thought of it could probably make a useful contribution to society if they weren't wasting their life generating spam.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Spammers don't become psychically aware of addresses...
Oh yes they do. I run a small personal domain -- only two people really get mail on it. In total, we get about 20 legit emails per day. We also get about 50 spams.
The really scary part is the "psychic" spam we get -- now around 30 THOUSAND delivery attempts to random non-existant email addresses every day.
Here's the graph of spam delivery attempts over time, since early December.
I use qmail, which can handle the load, but the trend line is still scary as hell.
- Pie
Attached Images