The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #2041
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

SECRETS OF THE SONGS: "Wichita Lineman" is a simple song, why is it so haunting and effective? One reason is because it starts with an intro of a pleasant little F chord... and then NEVER RETURNS TO IT! It wanders through different musical places, trying to get back, but it never does, and then it fades. That's pretty weird for a simple pop song, but consider this... it's the lonely lineman on the road, wistfully thinking of the pleasant chord at home.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #2042
Griff
still says videotape

More reason to love that.

Wait? The Nickel Creek kids are adults now? We saw them a long time ago at a local hockey rink.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #2043
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
SECRETS OF THE SONGS: "Wichita Lineman" is a simple song, why is it so haunting and effective? One reason is because it starts with an intro of a pleasant little F chord... and then NEVER RETURNS TO IT! It wanders through different musical places, trying to get back, but it never does, and then it fades. That's pretty weird for a simple pop song, but consider this... it's the lonely lineman on the road, wistfully thinking of the pleasant chord at home.
From This Day In History Nov 30, 1968:

Quote:
1968 - Glen Campbell started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Wichita Lineman.' Jimmy Webb's inspiration for the lyrics came while driving through Washita County in northern Oklahoma. Webb was driving through an endless litany of telephone poles, each looking exactly the same as the last. Then, in the distance, he noticed the silhouette of a solitary lineman atop a pole. Webb then "put himself atop that pole and put that phone in his hand" as he considered what the lineman was saying into the receiver.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #2044
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Legit as fuck

BTW, you gotta have a tiny desk to make room for a band that big

PS. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #2045
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Not quite safe for work, lots of near misses, but only one bleeped dirty word at the very end:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #2046
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quite.

Don't think I missed any entendres.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #2047
Griff
still says videotape

Trampled by Turtles : Codeine

I'd say more like cocaine, dem licks!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #2048
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Chock a block full of the best music, but this article is for reading mainly

http://www.hindustantimes.com/brunch...grc7iTZYP.html

The "would-you-believe-it" Hindustan Times. (WTF?) has an excellent article about the newly released album by the Rolling Stones. Here's just the epigraph. Fuck you 2016

Quote:
Tailpiece: It’s been a horrid year, 2016. We lost so many great musicians: David Bowie, Prince, Leonard Cohen, Merle Haggard, Phife Dawg, Sharon Jones, Leon Russell… to name just a few. Some, such as Bowie and Cohen, left soon after giving us their last albums, brilliant ones. It is heartening, therefore, to hear that none other than the man whose name is synonymous with “rock ‘n’ roll” is not only alive and kicking but will give us a new album soon. Chuck Berry, who is 90, will release a new album in 2017. It will be called Chuck. I can’t wait. Long live rock ‘n’ roll!

From HT Brunch, December 18, 2016
Old 12-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #2049
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Men With Banjos Who Know How To Use Them.

Man, I love this song, Foggy Mountain Breakdown
Old 12-22-2016, 03:41 AM   #2050
be-bop
Operations Operative

The video is pretty naff but I love the song, very good for a cover
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #2051
Snakeadelic
Banned

Hope this works! This number had to be left off the official DVD release due to a music rights conflict. I will never not laugh myself fuzzy!

Well, it didn't work when I tried to play the video thru the post link. Search string for this is 'Vincent Price Muppets You've Got A Friend' and it is HILARIOUS.

Last edited by Snakeadelic; 12-25-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: video won't play
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #2052
Snakeadelic
Banned

Also, keeping in mind that live footage often has crappy sound, just about anything by Robin Trower, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and The Reverend Horton Heat (explicit lyrics warning on The Rev--if Weird Al had a drunk uncle from Texas, it would be The Rev).
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #2053
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
Hope this works! This number had to be left off the official DVD release due to a music rights conflict. I will never not laugh myself fuzzy!

Well, it didn't work when I tried to play the video thru the post link. Search string for this is 'Vincent Price Muppets You've Got A Friend' and it is HILARIOUS.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #2054
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post

Awww, thats a treasure. Vincent Price is so awesome!

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #2055
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This particular software, you have to pluck out just a part of the YouTube link

Like if the link is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_uuECBtO80

you put the "M_uuECBtO80" bit between [ youtube ] and [ /youtube ] tags.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music