The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #76
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've seen some of her work, she had a good eye. It's kind of mind boggling how many she accumulated, especially figuring she was working with film, and had to be throwing a percentage of the pictures she took away.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #77
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-bop View Post
I saw a programme on Sky arts called "Finding Vivian Maier"
Or Mary Poppins with a camera,
When Vivian died she left over 150,000 images, negative and prints in storage, she was never published in her lifetime but it's only now being realised how important her pictures are.
Most of the stuff they showed was street shots of people and areas now long gone in New York and other towns she lived and worked in.
D
she seemed to be a total eccentric especially towards the end of her life but what a photographer eye she had, any one interested in photography should try and see some of her work you tube has stuff and there's lots on the net.
I was blown away by some of the images.
I saw that. Liked it so much I googled her work. Captivating stuff
Old 11-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #78
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Welcome To Union Glacier"

Quote:
Union Glacier is located in the southern Ellsworth Mountains of West Antarctica. This is a documentary about a small team of people who live and work on the glacier during the Antarctic summer.

In 2013 I was the filmmaker attached to the Scott Expedition - the journey that completed Captain Scott's final, ill-fated expedition from the coast of Antarctica to the South Pole and back again. Our team passed through Union Glacier Camp on route to the starting point of Scott's Hut at Cape Evans, but after becoming stranded at the camp and working with the staff there; I decided to make this documentary.

For me, this film seems a bit like an antithesis to many expedition and adventure documentaries. There is no great achievement or record broken, nor any real challenge to overcome. Instead it concerns minor details; the everyday tasks of the staff that were made more special by the environment surrounding them. And in fact, I think that's what attracted me to make this film - the delightful trivialities of an average life, working in Antarctica.
Fullscreen is more better.

Or, watch it at .

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 11-29-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #79
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The Death of Superman Lives - What Happened? An interesting behind the scenes look at the collapse of a blockbuster movie.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #80
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

RE: Post #78:

WTF happened with that second video getting put there? That was just a link to the vid's Vimeo page. And why does it look different than the other one?

ETA: In the preview it just looks like a link. Weird.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #81
Beest
Adapt and Survive

The truth behind the Nevada Triangle.
I watched it on Netflix,

Apparently over 2000 aircraft, small ones, have dissapeared over the Sierra Nevada mountains since 1962, that's a lot of planes, interesting...

One of these was Steve Fossett, super rich guy and avid aviator, I remember the hoo ha and huge search effort at the time, but not really any of the follow up.

The documentary does a good job of mixing the general story of the loss of planes and this one famous incident. The bit I didn't know, they found Fossetts plane a few years later, random discovery by a hiker, some remains, and explained why it went down, there's a very strong air condition that can occur in certain conditions due to the geography, if you get in it you're done.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #82
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's all nonsense, it's aliens I tell you, snatching planes right out of the air. They beam them up, transmogrify the planes into common air pollution and anal probe the pilots until they refuse to leave. honest.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #83
Zathris
"NOT THE ONE."

Star Wars: A New Gaming Era on Fusion followed by Bears on Starz Kids & Family.
Zathris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #84
Zathris
"NOT THE ONE."

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's all nonsense, it's aliens I tell you, snatching planes right out of the air. They beam them up, transmogrify the planes into common air pollution and anal probe the pilots until they refuse to leave. honest.
Vorlons?
Zathris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:30 AM   #85
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Not on tv - via Youtube, but this was really fascinating (I thought). A case study in moral panic and censorship from 1980s Britain. As someone who both remembers this particular moral panic very clearly, and has an abiding interest in schlocky horror movies, i found it particularly interesting - but anyone with an interest in censorship and questions of freedom of artistic expression would also find it interesting I think.

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #86
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I haven't seen this one yet but it features a friend who build his house a little after us. The Sustainable

http://www.saratogian.com/general-ne...ew-documentary
Quote:
I'm surprised how small their solar array is, especially with ten year old panels.
We stayed at the house Wednesday night on our way up North. He has 12 panels and a windmill which generally does the job. There is a generator tied in to top off the batteries if needed but it apparently doesn't come on often. The battery bank is in the basement. I was there when he did his monthly maintenance topping off the batteries that need more water.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What kind of batteries for that setup, big like forklift batteries, or like car batteries, or something special?
Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #88
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
The Stocks have saved an estimated $50,000 on heat and electric bills since moving into their passive-solar home 10 years ago.
$5k a year for electricity and heat? $5,000 a year????

Yumpin' Yiminy.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #89
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What was the most recent documentary you watched on TV?

Something on public television about elephants.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #90
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
What kind of batteries for that setup, big like forklift batteries, or like car batteries, or something special?
Deep cycle marine batteries

I don't know where that $50k number comes from.