Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #9121
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
I am upset about 3 things:

1. My body clock is all off from flying back from Hawaii
And I'm upset that I'm not the one flying back from Hawaii since it presumes that at some point there was flying to Hawaii.

It's sort of like complaining about lack of sleep due to the two supermodels in your bed taking turns all night.

And if it was a business trip, I still want in. It's better to be doing business in Hawaii in March than in Schenectady.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #9122
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
We've got an astro turf organization up here that is opposed to the removal of PCBs from the Hudson river for a variety of specious reasons that are self contradictory if you look at them even cursorially. They claim to be stewards of the river. Turns out, they are funded by the very same corporation that is on the hook for the cost of cleanup.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! [/Renault]
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #9123
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Opposed to the removal of PCBs from the river ... now there's stewardship for you.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #9124
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Their logic runs, The PCBs are all at the bottom and the river is now healthy, if you dredge the PCBs up to remove them, then the river will become irreparably polluted.

So, the river being healthy now is the result of the magical, one time only settling of PCBs?

You still can't eat the fish from the river, PCBs or not. More like if we set a precedent of culpability for polluting this river then we'll be on the hook for cleaning all the other rivers we polluted.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #9125
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Healthy by their definition, maybe. Sounds like they've already done irreparable damage. They should NOT be able to dump PCBs into a river and then claim that no clean-up is appropriate because the toxins have settled out on the river bottom.

Wish I had more faith in the EPA ...
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #9126
Griff
still says videotape

Bringing good things to life.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #9127
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I remember reading about a situation of exactly the same details - just can't recall the name.

In 1999.

Almost certainly the same one. Pricks are just stalling.

Cause if you're CEO, you can spend 10 million on stalling or 150 million on cleanups, and only one of those options is going to get you a big fat bonus.

All together now: "We have a fiduciary duty to maximize returns for our shareholders. Fuck everyone else."
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #9128
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Read Zodiac: an eco-thriller. It's not only a fast moving, smart-ass, action thriller, but you will never look at pollution the same way again.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #9129
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But if they disturb the PCBs/sediment, it flows all the way to Long Island Sound, fucking up the entire river and New York Harbor.

They made a similar case for the Delaware River, until they decided they needed to dredge for deeper ship channels. Then it was "different", and they dumped it in Jersey.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #9130
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Different can make all the difference in the world.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #9131
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Read Zodiac: an eco-thriller. It's not only a fast moving, smart-ass, action thriller, but you will never look at pollution the same way again.
I loved the part where the main character said something along the lines of, "That's 15 times the legal limit!" and then lets the reader know that actually, its more like 15,000 times the legal limit, but people can't cope with numbers like that, it's too unreal to get indignant about, so he has to say 15 times to get the right amount of shock from people.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #9132
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

And pateots as a measurement.

"Period at the end of this sentence. "

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #9133
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

A very old friend of mine had a brain tumour removed a bit over a year ago and went through all sorts of suffering with the radiation and chemo afterwards and a few months ago, they found the tumour has come back, so he's once again had his skull opened up and the tumour removed, causing disfiguration to his face and many other indignities, and now he's going through the whole treatment process again.

The thing that's upsetting me about this now is that he seems to have lost his fight. It seems like he's just sick of it all and could easily just give up.

I am upset and concerned that he's not going to beat things mentally.

Anyway, I'd be a lot more upset if I were the one with the cancer, but watching people around me having to fight it is upsetting. It's upsetting because there's not really a lot I can do, and that's the part that hurts the most.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #9134
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's a shame, Ali. I think it's pretty well a given, if the patient gives up, it's really bad for the prognosis.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #9135
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yep. Its what happened with Mum. She got sick of the fight and just gave up. I hope my friend can find his way forward again. He's been a volunteer lofesaver all his adult life. He's a great member of the community. He's a loving husband and he's just one of those people everyone is glad to know. His lif is worth living.

Tags
swiss