The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #31
crweeks64
Fresh Incumbent

tw, you got it half right, he does not engage Congress at all (or anybody else for that matter).
You keep talking about Rush and raising that straw man line of reasoning. Few Americans want "America to fail" except the FAR left.
As Lloyd Benson said to Dan Quale, "I knew John F. Kennedy, John F. Kennedy was a friend, You are no John F. Kennedy". I didn't know John F. Kennedy but Obama is certainly no John F. Kennedy.
Cantor was a mainstream republican who worked closely with Boehner and who was defeated in the republican primary by a tea party-like challenger.
You are half right again, he doesn't work well with anyone.
He should be congratulated for pulling the string on Bin Laden but he has undermined that in every single thing he has done since then with regard to dealing with terrorists or Islamic Extremists. (Except for the use of drones- again kudos to him)
The Assad red line? Seriously? After Assad crossed that red line Obama denied making the statement. Rather he indicated it was Congress' red line set many years before. Then after he failed to secure Congressional bye-in he and Kerry were forced to take a deal concocted by Russia (talk about the fox watching the hen house) that Assad would voluntarily give up his chemical weapons stockpiles (plural on purpose). Besides some chemical weapons stockpiles still exist (also discussed in other posts).
Lastly, he wanted the job, and those who voted for him expect him to get results and lead no matter with whom he has to negotiate. He is the President of the United States not President "of those who will work with him in good faith".
crweeks64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by crweeks64 View Post
Is our Country so lacking in qualified Presidential candidates that we have Clinton as "heir apparent" and the possibility of a third Bush desiring the White House? Can't we find a Governor who has had to balance a budget and lead a state (but not another Bush)?
From
Quote:
George Washington: “So much is expected, so many untoward circumstances may intervene, that I feel an insuperable diffidence in my own abilities.”

John Adams: “If I were to go over my life again, I would be a shoemaker rather than an American statesman.”

Thomas Jefferson called the presidency “a splendid misery.” He said, “To myself, personally, it brings nothing but unceasing drudgery and daily loss of friends.”

John Quincy Adams called his term “the four most miserable years of my life.”

Andrew Jackson: “I can with truth say mine is a situation of dignified slavery.”

Buchanan to Lincoln: “”If you are as happy in entering the White House as I shall feel on returning [home], you are a happy man indeed.”

~snip~

Taft to Wilson: “I’m glad to be going — this is the lonesomest place in the world.”

Woodrow Wilson: “I never dreamed such loneliness and desolation of heart possible.”

Warren G. Harding: “This White House is a prison. I can’t get away from the men who dog my footsteps. I am in jail.”

Herbert Hoover: “A few hair shirts are part of the wardrobe of every man. The President differs from other men in that he has a much more extensive wardrobe.”

Harry Truman: “Being a president is like riding a tiger. A man has to keep on riding or be swallowed.”

Bill Clinton: “Being a president is a lot like running a cemetery: There are a lot of people under you, but nobody’s listening.”
Many more at the link, but they're unanimous in their distaste for the job. And that was before the loyal opposition disappeared.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #33
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crweeks64 View Post
You are half right again, he doesn't work well with anyone.
Obama works fine with other nations. Syrian Red Line is a perfect example of international leadership that even got Russia to reverse its position in only days. Listed were so many countries recruited to successfully remove Assad's biochemical weapons. So how is that not working with anyone?

To call Cantor anything but an extremist is disingenuous. He has been a perfect example of what extremists were told to do bluntly by Limbaugh. Limbaugh said in January 2009, "I Hope Obama Fails. Somebody's gotta say it." That became a Tea Party mantra.

Once Cantor discovered Boehmer was having secret meetings with Obama to solve our debt crisis, then Cantor did everything he could to obstruct it. He eventually got himself into those meetings. Multiple Democrats and Republicans agreed. Only person who should not be in those meetings was Cantor. Cantor, a classic extremists, works for what Limbaugh demanded - failure of America.

Meanwhile, those who want America to succeed also successfully fixed this economy. Failure became a Republican Party policy to vote in lockstep against virtually every proposal by President Obama to ease a recession inherited from the previous administration. We know what Obama got done was tremendously successful in saving this economy from another 1929 Recession. We also know that other nations (ie Europe), who instead used austerity, have suffered significantly lower growth and economic stagnation.

Somehow Obama does not work well with anyone? Then how did we avoid 40% unemployment? Why did we so successfully recover from massive fiscal irresponsibility? Clearly our economy is now tanking?. The dollar has achieved new highs due to an American economy that is now doing better than Europe and Japan.

Nobody can work with extremists whose agenda is America's failure. Tea party obstruction set new standards for intransigence in a “do nothing” Congress. Due to extremists, House nastiness achieved new highs. Even Republican Senators have been critical repeatedly of Tea Party antics by extreme right wingers such as Eric Cantor.

Anyone in denial of the tremendous success in a Syrian Red Line solution must be listening to Limbaugh lobotomy rhetoric. That solution was stunning, immediate, and completely successful. Wacko extremists hate success. Even the economy has successfully recovered from Cheney’s “Reagan proved that deficits don’t matter” policies. How can that be when Obama is such as failure?

Again, the Syrian Solution was a spectacular success by even getting the Russians to cooperate. However extremists need hate and failure to achieve power. So extremists must deny that obvious success.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #34
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Syrian Solution = Mission Accomplished

They're both for whacko extremists, just at opposite ends of the spectrum.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #35
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
the Syrian Solution was a spectacular success by even getting the Russians to cooperate.
Bwahahahahahaha ... yeh, right. Putin & Obama, they're like best buds.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #36
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
And to me, lawyerin' and solicitin' don't count. Get us some civil engineers, who actually know what it takes to build and maintain.
Agreed.

But I'm with xoxoxoBruce, who in their right minds would want to go into politics?