The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Speaking of Cheeses

Does anyone really KNOW their cheese? Seriously, I've been experimenting with a lot of supposedly "high end" (not "high wind") cheeses and so far I have not been really impressed with anything I've tried. There seems to be an abundance of epicurean-minded folks here...any suggestions?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

I wouldn't say I "know" cheese, but I know what I like. I have a hard time believing there is such a thing as "high-end" cheese. As long as it's real cheese and you like it, that's high end.

My preferences tend toward good firm and semi-firm cheese. Vermont white, Emmentaler, smoked Gouda and Asiago top my list of favourites. Visit a good organic market sometime, they often have samples of many cheeses out. And if they don't, ask for a sample.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

I'm learning about cheese, too. There's a lot to learn and try, which is great. Some things are pricey, usually because they are hard to get, or very hand made. I dont care for strong stinky cheese myself. Ive found a good cheese dept where they are nice, smart and encourage you to try anything.

#1 must have on hand cheese is real Parmegiano Reggiano. get a good piece, as small rind as possible. I am adicted to the crystalised bits you crunch into. It goes on salad, soup, pasta, popcorn, and slabbed into my hand with a big glass of red wine.

I love sharp cheddar. I had an Irish Cheddar that was really great a couple weeks ago- not sure if I can find it again.

For a treat, I like soft washed rind cheeses like brie- soft and buttery. Triple cream is the fattiest butteriest, San Andre its very rich and decadent, a little bit will do me. Double cream is usually fine for me, and a bit less rich and cheaper. I like it on crusty bread and with apples.

I love spreadable stuff like Boursin, which is like crack. I also love fresh goat cheese and there are good, local outlets for that. I like it rolled in herbs or pepper and crumble it on salads or shmere it on water crackers. good with pears and nuts. There is one blended with honey that is a treat too.

In the realm of new cheese experiences, my cowoker is a big fan of Holloumi. A middle eastern cheese you grill. Made me want to try it. Maybe this week?

Cheese is......alive. Eat it at room temperature on non or lightly salty bread/crackers so you can taste the cheesy.

Last edited by warch; 11-18-2004 at 02:01 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ah, Warch--all good suggestions. You sound like a cheese-freak in the making! I found a great Irish Cheddar just last week--is superb! Then bought a Black Wax Cheddar that I am not so thrilled with. Was espoused to be a superior cheese but not for me.

Perth--I just recently tried Emmentaler Swiss that I found was so-so...am I missing something with Emmentaler? Is there a particular variety you like?

I like all cheeses--soft, semi-soft, hard--all of it. Only cheese don't like: Limberger!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 11-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
antaeus
Non-Newbie Sort

I'm not keen on Emmentaler, either. Or any kind of Swiss. I think it's a deficiency on my part. But otherwise, I'm a big fan of cheese.

You might try Cotswold, if you like Irish cheddars. It's like a garlicky cheddar. Great on crackers; I can eat it by the pound.

If you like stronger cheeses, there are some great blue cheeses, although I stay away from the grocery-store bin kind. Maytag and Great Hill do great blues, a true italian Gorgonzola dolce is really nice, and my favorite - Stilton. I like these best with fruit - I prefer pears - to tame some of the strongness and bring out more subtle flavors.

Otherwise, I agree with all the other cheeses posted here - great, all of them.
antaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #6
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Oh God...cheese. It's like a drug to me...and damnit all to hell, I'm on a strict restriction due to my kidney failure (cheese is high in phosphorus)!!

But, I eat it anyway...just not as much as I used to.

Basic favs: Cheddar, Swiss, American, Parmasean, Asiago.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

anyone on dialysis gets my vote!

We should talk, you and I.

I am ready to throw it in (ALL of it)---what keeps you going, ladysycamore?

—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 11-18-2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: am really stupid and dumb
Old 11-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

and please don't say "my husband"--please.

—James Barrie

Old 11-18-2004, 04:04 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

'Swiss' cheese is most commonly gruyere, good gruyere is truly wonderful, bad gruyere is very common outside Switzerland. Good cheese, is, as a rule, bloody hard to find, I know of only one proper fromagerie in London for crying out loud and they're sandwiched between a single malt wiskey shop and a cigar shop (I do love that street).

Good french brie is lovely but I do prefer a camembert most of the time. Proper aged chedder is close to a religious experience. Another thing you might find is a good fromagerie is Jersey Milk which is to milk what a ferrari is to cars, well worth a try. Good greek feta is wonderful in salads and on it's own and Petite Tomme is lovely. If you have a BBQ try a slice of feta on top of a mushroom and put it on the barbie for a few minutes, lovely. Of course my cheese credentials are runied by a perchant for that spreadable philly cheese stuff that comes in a tub.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #10
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Of course my cheese credentials are runied by a perchant for that spreadable philly cheese stuff that comes in a tub.
Now we have people being honest. We've got Jaguar admitting to cheese in a tub over here, do we have anyone willing to admit to cheese delivered by compressed air? Anyone? Going once, going twice...
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Methinks Jag likes ALOTTA things Americanos.

He will never admit it.

He's young...and, idealistic.

He is, really, us; only NOW.--a BIG, GROOVY ---NOW!

—James Barrie

Old 11-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #12
antaeus
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Now we have people being honest. We've got Jaguar admitting to cheese in a tub over here, do we have anyone willing to admit to cheese delivered by compressed air? Anyone? Going once, going twice...
Gone. I won't confess to spray cheese, but Cheez Whiz - boy, that stuff rocks on nachos. You can use "good" cheese on your nachos if you want, but I think nothing beats Cheez Whiz with lots of salsa. And as for cream cheese in a tub, what would bagels be without it? Hard bread, as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, I'm not a cheese snob - I think as long as it tastes good to you, you should enjoy it, whether it's mass-manufactured cheese *product* or handmade local, organic cheese from Jersey cows (I will say that cheese made from Jersey milk is amazing). I like both and am proud of it!
antaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #13
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

cheeeeeeeseeee... drool drool.. I think I would be hard pressed to live without it

although there are many wonderfull cheeses out there.. there are a few I really can't do without...

smoked gouda, Brie (just learned to like it a few years ago ), fresh mozzerella (with a little roma tomatoe, garlic, fresh basil and a splash of good balsamic vinegar), baby swiss and damnit.. I can't spell it... the dish is saganaki (greek goat cheese, fried and then set on fire with brandy... )

anyway! a good starting point is
http://www.epicurious.com/

and on a side note... the whole 'processed cheese food'?!?! what the HELL is that!? what real cheeses eat to grow up to be real cheese? YUCK YUCK YUCK!

gawd! I loves me some cheese.. I could go on and on and on about it
Old 11-18-2004, 05:02 PM   #14
jaguar
whig

Nachos require decent chedder, a fresh, ripe avacado, good sour cream and home made salsa.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #15
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I have a preference for cheddar, mild and sharp, provolone and swiss and I'll eat the presliced stuff from Kraft. The same stuff from a deli is a step up and generally better, if it's a good deli. However, if I'm going to go 'fancy', I like gorganzola.

Bread, fresh deli provolone, saucy pulled BBQ pork, fresh deli sharp cheddar, bread...oh my god...

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote