FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

annoying sayings

When people say," Everything happens for a reason"

Something in me says, "no"

I have not seen bad things happen to people that brings about any good outcome that the person themselves didn't create. The saying seems to imply that by grand design this happened so that something better may transpire.

I think bad things happen just because they do. I think good things happen when the intergrity of the human spirit presses onward to create something better.

Whenever I hear that saying something just sticks in my craw. I know that it is said with the best intentions but it just annoys me.

What are the sayings that peeve you and why?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
"Skating on wet ice" is one that annoys me for a number of reasons, not least of which is that it isn't a saying at all.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm so with you there Sky.

Along the same lines is "When God closes a door he opens a window" from people whose closest connection with religion is saying, "Jesus Christ!" when something goes wrong.

I also hate, "PC gone mad" because it's so lazy and is rarely used appropriately. In fact if someone says that, it's usually in response to a story that's been twisted in some way anyway.

"Thinking outside the box". I don't have a box, I have a brain, and it is a living organ. I can't think outside of it, sorry.

Oh and Cold Hands Warm Heart. Because I never have cold hands, and I hate it when people put theirs on me - it's creepy. And cold-hearted.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

"It is what it is." I've been hearing it a lot lately. Makes my skin crawl.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well, what goes around comes around.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

I'd like to slap the fukker that first said that. Then stuff a lemon in his mouth.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

"Everything will be okay" Okay, granted, I understand that under bad circumstances people don't always know what to say and they're trying to comfort you. But nine times out of ten, I KNOW everything's going to be okay, I DON'T need to be reminded, and I'm thinking about RIGHT NOW, when things are definitely NOT okay.
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasenuak View Post
"Everything will be okay" Okay, granted, I understand that under bad circumstances people don't always know what to say and they're trying to comfort you. But nine times out of ten, I KNOW everything's going to be okay, I DON'T need to be reminded, and I'm thinking about RIGHT NOW, when things are definitely NOT okay.
This is when fast acting anxiolytics come in very handy. I recommend xanax. I also recommend alcohol, a smoke and a quickie. If none of these are available, try a mantra. I like, "I'm NOT living in 16th Century Germany...I'm NOT living in 16th Century Germany..."
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My old boss used to say "Tomorrow is another day."

I'd come back at him with "Also, next Thursday is another day."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Alcohol and a quickie- usually obtainable. A smoke... not if the kid's nearby. And I'm on anti-anxiety drugs
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

I'd like to slap the fukker that first said that. Then stuff a lemon in his mouth.
There's a Dilbert strip... sorry I can't find it to post.

In the first panel some character says, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. The second panel: Dogbert responds, sure, but that's assuming life will also provide ice, a pitcher, some sugar and glasses.

In the third panel the two stop. The sidewalk they've been walking on has lemons, ice cubes, a pitcher, sugar, and glasses. Dogbert explodes with fury: "WHAT?? NO NAPKINS??"

I'm an introvert. The problem with that is, some people consider introversion to be a disease that needs to be "cured." So, my annoying sayings are anything that smacks of this mind-set. "You should get out and meet some more people.. you'd be happier." Etc.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Who do you need to meet? You're already here!

—James Barrie

Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I agree with all the above!

Other sayings that annoy me are most of the beautides. Sorry god. I hope that dosn't make me a blasphemer.

There are alot of struggling old people that give to corrupt churches on these premises alone.

I used to go to church when I was a poor single mom with a small child. I gave tithe and had to borrow from the church to get milk.

One day I had an aphiphany or maybe it was god speaking to my heart. It was KEEP YOUR MONEY AND BUY YOUR OWN GODDAMN MILK.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
penslinger
Mostly harmless

I hate "What's More..."
and "Do the math..."
And my ex used to drive me nuts with "that's not going to happen due to the fact..."
Why can't she just say because??

Last edited by penslinger; 10-18-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: wanted it in bold
penslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Much like, "Everything happens for a reason".......

"It's all for the best."

You can combine both of them and be a real trifle twit.

Someone that was close to me died and that's what I was told. It isn't a good catch-all.

Once it was repeated over and over, I lost it, and began to describe why it wasn't "all for the best".

It's also All for the best if I beat you if you say that, one more time.

Yea. Knee jerk. Major.

That just pisses me off all over again. Carry on!

Last edited by Cicero; 10-18-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: trifle betta
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote