The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Brit TV show recommendations

Ok I've seen all of the Sherlocks to date, Man Stroke Woman, both seasons, Green Wing both seasons and the special, I'm all caught up with Utopia.

What else is there that's really good? My sister sent me Black Books, but I didn't care for it. It was season 3 if that makes a diff.

craving
Old 02-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Excellent sketch show: Smack the Pony ( from some of the same team as Green Wing).

Nathan Barley: a short run comedy about the the rise of the idiots - by Charlie Brooker.

No heroics: only did a single series of 6 eps. No idea why...awesome show.

Misfits: brilliant, several series available

Also: please, please tell me you've seen Garth Merengi's Dark Place....

This is from the dvd extras

The Fades: was excellent, but was;t picked up for a second series. Inexplicable except on the grounds of budget constraints in the wake of BBC cutbacks

Ripper Street: co-production between BBC and BBC America - police procedural and mystery but joyfully anchored in a lawless , almost wild west style, Victorian London.

Mighty Boosh - you'll either love it or hate it.

Last edited by DanaC; 02-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Wow. What a home work assignment!

I watched the first bit of your clip and I thought it was very funny, the black guy made it seem like a comedy. I'll put that first.

Thanks D.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The League of Gentlemen of course. But like Boosh, it occupies its own place and isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

I adored Black Books so I might not be the best advisor...

Misfits definitely though. Until Utopia came along it was my favouritist, sweariest, goriest show. Curtis is the most boring character, but with stand-outs like Lauren, Nathan and Rudy it's easy to see why.

Charlie Brooker made a marvellous one-off (well, five eps) called Dead Set. Zombies plus Big Brother. May not translate that well - BB is still massive over here, which adds to the horror aspect.

Oh and maybe try some Derren Brown. If you catch An Evening of Wonders you might see a stunningly attractive young lady in the audience, with peroxide blonde hair. Derren correctly guessed she bought her dress from eBay. And also advised her to get a cat. Bad Derren - that didn'r work out well.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
The League of Gentlemen of course. But like Boosh, it occupies its own place and isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

I adored Black Books so I might not be the best advisor...

Misfits definitely though. Until Utopia came along it was my favouritist, sweariest, goriest show. Curtis is the most boring character, but with stand-outs like Lauren, Nathan and Rudy it's easy to see why.

Charlie Brooker made a marvellous one-off (well, five eps) called Dead Set. Zombies plus Big Brother. May not translate that well - BB is still massive over here, which adds to the horror aspect.

Oh and maybe try some Derren Brown. If you catch An Evening of Wonders you might see a stunningly attractive young lady in the audience, with peroxide blonde hair. Derren correctly guessed she bought her dress from eBay. And also advised her to get a cat. Bad Derren - that didn'r work out well.
Get out? Derren Brown? I have a ton of his stuff. I think I saw Evening of Wonders. I'll have to check it again.

My sis sent me season 3 of Black Books but I didn't take to it. I didn't realize Tamsin Greig was in it. I thought she looked familiar in Green Wing.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

On Garth Marenghi's Darkplace:

Quote:
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is a British dark comedy show made for Channel 4 by Matthew Holness and Richard Ayoade. Following on from Garth Marenghi's Netherhead, which won the 2001 Perrier Awards, the show revolves around fictional horror author Garth Marenghi (played by Holness) and his publisher Dean Learner (played by Ayoade).

Darkplace is presented as a lost classic: a television series produced in the 1980s, though never broadcast at the time. The presentation features commentary from many of the "original" cast, where characters such as "Marenghi" and "Learner" reflect on making the show. Darkplace parodies numerous aspects of '80s low-budget television, including fashion, special effects, production gaffes, and music, as well as the widespread practice of including commentary tracks on DVD releases of old films and television shows.
Ayoade, who plays Dean Lerner alsoplayed Mos in The IT Crowd.

They made a nice website for Marenghi:

http://www.garthmarenghi.com/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Darkplace blew me away at the time. It was out of its time, if ya get me.
A true original.

No idea it was co-created by Richard Ayoade. But then I had no idea who he was at that time. He really came into his own in the IT Crowd for me, as did Chris O'Dowd. Blimey - where did I watch those? Somewhere I had free access to the TV obviously, I can't remember anyone else ever having them on their radar.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Have you watched Shameless, foot? I've enjoyed that one a lot.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Check it, I had the show and never watched it! Here you are, almost famous.

Who's the bloke next to you?
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Chap next to me was my housemate.
I like that pic, you chose a flattering one, thanks!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
glatt

This is an example of how you have to read all the threads, or you'll miss something.

That's really cool Sundae! And thanks for getting the screen grab, foots!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wow!

Of course, if foot really loved us he'd rip the video clip...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Wow!

Of course, if foot really loved us he'd rip the video clip...
I would except when I upgraded to CS6 I found I lost my video editing ability since it requires 64 bit processing. I plan to reinstall CS4 anyway. They changed the whole look of everything and now I can't find shit.

I really hate that about software developers. If you want to add new features fine, Why change the look of the skin? It's not a fucking shirt or car. Leave the buttons where they were, or allow a choice of skins.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I would except when I upgraded to CS6 I found I lost my video editing ability since it requires 64 bit processing. I plan to reinstall CS4 anyway. They changed the whole look of everything and now I can't find shit.

I really hate that about software developers. If you want to add new features fine, Why change the look of the skin? It's not a fucking shirt or car. Leave the buttons where they were, or allow a choice of skins.
Like Winamp.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wait, WHAT? That's awesome. I missed all that too.

That's a great picture!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote