The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-07-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to break my heart, aren't you?

Anne Bancroft has died today. What a tragic loss to entertainment. Although she is best known for her portrayal of the sexually predatory Mrs. Robinson opposite Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate", to me, Ms. Bancroft will forever be revered for her role in being the wife of Mel Brooks for over 40 years. Truly, she must have loved the man because he made her laugh.

My first memory of Anne Bancroft was as Anne Sullivan, the teacher of Helen Keller in "The Miracle Worker" opposite Patty Duke. My mother was always moved by the tale, and I was always enthralled with the portrayal that Bancroft rendered in the film.

Anne Bancroft's presence in a film automatically gave it sincerity, class and believeability. She was never stuffy unless the part called for it. She exuded an air of honesty and reality. Her wit was rapier sharp, her heart tender and embracing.

Mel must feel very, very alone tonight. Gods bless them both.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

She will indeed be missed.

What most people don't realize, is that the depth of her acting talent was such that when she played opposite Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, she was only six years older than he, but very convincingly played a woman more than twice his age.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Amazing talent, class, wit and beauty. Right up there with Kate Hepburn on my list of actresses who will be missed.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't know, she was pretty much over the hill.
After 30 they start to droop and sag a little, ya know?
Really, the only thing she had going for her that none...well, almost none....of the rest have, is she could act. Any part, any where, any time.