The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #46
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I will.

Transgressing the Boundaries: Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity.

Here ya go!

http://www.answers.com/topic/left-wing-politics

Last edited by TheMercenary; 11-22-2008 at 03:13 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Soros is successful and wealthy. He didn't get there by being stupid. He got there by coming up with good ideas and implementing them.

If he has ideas to share with the Obama transition team, that's good. It's up to them to determine if those ideas are illegal, immoral or fattening.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #48
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Soros is successful and wealthy. He didn't get there by being stupid. He got there by coming up with good ideas and implementing them.

If he has ideas to share with the Obama transition team, that's good. It's up to them to determine if those ideas are illegal, immoral or fattening.
I guess my only point was that he is an extremely controversial individual how has supported some extremely controversial projects and organizations and I don't think it looks good for him to be consulting with him. I believe it degrades his notion that he is bringing "change" to the office. The laundry list of Clintonites he is stacking his administration also point to doubt that he is bringing change to the White House. I can't say Bush did not also consult with controversial figures, but Obama said he is going to change the way things are done. I guess this is just the first of many things he said he would do on the campaign trail that he will not do.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If he wants to do it right, he won't limit soliciting ideas from anyone. By putting together part of an idea from Soros with part of an idea from Cheney and part of an idea from Hugo Chaves, to come up with a fair solution, good for him.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #50
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I see Obama has been consulting with that controversial maverick McCain, too. What is he thinking talking to controversial people? He might get controversial cooties.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #51
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

dar - Are you comparing McCain to Soros? Are you really?
I have no problem with Obama consulting with the sharpest minds in America, none whatsoever. In fact, I think that is an excellent plan and what any president should do.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #52
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
I see Obama has been consulting with that controversial maverick McCain, too. What is he thinking talking to controversial people? He might get controversial cooties.
Smoke and mirrors.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #53
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
dar - Are you comparing McCain to Soros? Are you really?
No. I don't know Soros from Adam. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I have no problem with Obama consulting with the sharpest minds in America, none whatsoever. In fact, I think that is an excellent plan and what any president should do.
Change that to "whoever he thinks might have a useful idea", and we are in agreement.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #54
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Change that to "whoever he thinks might have a useful idea", and we are in agreement.
I'm good with that.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #55
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Besides the fact I think Soro's is a scumbag, I guess it is no difference than religious right advising Bush, et. al. But I do recall there being an outcry about whom the Bush and Company consulted and now I see shades of the Dems doing the same thing. So some may say turn about is fair play, or what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Seems a bit like when so many libs cried and whined over special interest associations that Bush had and it was such a bad thing, now they are doing the same thing. I thought this election was about CHANGE. I guess not.
Well that's because the people Bush consulted were wrong about EVERYTHING they said. Including God. *sticks tongue out at Merc and wags it*

personally, I think this is a GOOD thing. We need new, progressive ideas in Washington. Who cares where they come from. If they're good ideas, they're good ideas.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #56
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Why do you think I am so terribly upset? I am not. I am merely pointing out the double standards I see. We heard 8 years of whiny leftwing liberals bitching and moaning about every aspect of the Bush Dynasty. Now the Liberal Dems are acting the same way and behaving the same way. I am just trying to understand how this can be so easily accepted. Not ok for one group but ok for the other.
How are they acting the same way? Obama is reaching out to EVERYONE, including people who seriously disagree with him. Bush surrounded himself with yes men (and women) and got rid of anyone who challenged him.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #57
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
He is an extremely controversial figure with some very shady history. He was convicted of insider trading. For me it is the statements Soros made about the president and the way he used his billions to make commercials that were false and misleading to appeal to a liberal mindset. You can look them up if you are interested. Soro's has one goal in mind - how to make more money. Look at his overseas deals to get an idea. He has cloaked much of his business deals by giving a lot of money to some very good causes and he should be commended for that much. I don't trust him, his intentions, or his organizations.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_20191344

http://www.aim.org/aim-report/aim-re...os-gate-may-b/

Let's play devils advocate and flip a page in time. If a multi-billionare conservative came out in public and said, "I will spend all of my money and time to defeat Obama at any cost. It is a life and death issue."

What would be the reaction of the people that voted for Obama?

And if that billionare made commercials that linked Obama to Hitler and ran them on the tv? What kind of response would you get from Obama's supporters?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36577

WOW. So he supports legalizing weed and euthanaisia and needle exchange programs. Damn whacko liberal.

If he has broken any laws regarding the way he does business, then he should be prosecuted. From what I read, it sounds like he took advantage of deregulation around banking and investment laws in various countries. Those laws need to be changed and we need to put serious regulation, transparency and oversight back into the world monetary systems, because that is why the world economy is in trouble now. Not the same thing he did, but similar.

Truth be told, I am not comfortable with ANYONE having as much money as these people (Soros, Gates, Buffet, etc. and all the executives on Wall Street who caused the crash). The truth is, anyone with that kind of money has likely done shady and illegal (or at least immoral) things in order to get that money. Money corrupts, don'tcha know? Especially large sums of it. At least he does something good with some of it.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #58
TheMercenary

Well I support legalizing weed and euthanaisia and needle exchange programs too.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #59
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Say it ain't so!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #60
TheMercenary

Yea, but when is going to consult with Palin?