The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: I love Junior because:
I enjoy how life in the US is just like life in the Twilight Zone these days 8 30.77%
I'm a kid who blows up frogs, myself 3 11.54%
I adore watching darkies drown on the evening news 1 3.85%
He's put the terror back in the word "terrorism!" 9 34.62%
It's about time someone got rid of that stupid bill of rights! 8 30.77%
I love my country, but I love my SUV more! 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #61
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
If the ACLU believes that Y is wrong, they take the case. X is irrelevant.
Which makes them amoral scum, IMHO. And it's not whether they believe Y is wrong, it's whether they believe that fighting Y will help maintain or increase their funding from fringe groups -- their only source of power, by the way.

The ACLU began nobly, answering real problems and fighting real injustice. Once their mission was accomplished (i.e., blacks have attained their rightful equality in the eyes of the law), they didn't want to let go of their lobbying power. So now, they'll jump into bed with anyone, no matter how repugnant, to keep their jobs and maintain the illusion of relevancy.

Screw em.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #62
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Wow! The ACLU's mission was accomplished! There's no more real injustice.

That's good to know.

And it's definitely whether they think Y is wrong. They defend people from across the political spectrum, even though they are primarily attacked from the right.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #63
marichiko

Ahem.

The ACLU began in 1920. It was not established for the express purpose of winning racial equality. In its first year, the ACLU fought the campaign of harassment and deportation ordered by U.S. Attorney General A. Mitchell Palmer against politically radical immigrants, supported the right of Industrial Workers of the World members and other trade unionists to hold meetings and organize, and secured the release of hundreds of activists imprisoned for their anti-war views and activities.

In 1925, it was the ACLU who hired attorney Clarence Darrow for the defense in the infamous Scopes "monkey" trial in Tennessee which, if you will recall, had to do with teaching evolution in the public schools.

I'm glad that you feel the work of the ACLU is done in this age of racial harmony, intelligent design, and the Patriot Act.

I disagree, and so do the people who continue to donate money to this private, non-profit organization.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #64
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ted Rall's comic is a largely one-note affair: the Bush bashing of the lunatic fringe, in the manner that is fashionable there, and it does not rise above that. Doesn't strike me as exercise of either intellect or soul, but it sure smells of some alleged adult who's never taken off the Red Diaper. I've some experience of Soviet political cartooning -- Rall's stuff wrt The Leader Of The Free World looks like underground Soviet political cartoons, as approved by the higherups of the Ministry of Culture.

No, I do not love Ted Rall. His website comment after Reagan's death about Reagan "turning crispy brown in hell about now" gives deep offense, and to speak ill of the dead so bespeaks an appalling lack of class. I'd first written "want" there, but I don't see the man wanting class. He merely lacks it. While the man has a right to show the entire planet what a damned ass he is, he won't be selling me any collections of his work. I'll invoke Marichiko's sig about how some people are like Slinkies. It's apposite here.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 11-01-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #65
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Which makes them amoral scum, IMHO. And it's not whether they believe Y is wrong, it's whether they believe that fighting Y will help maintain or increase their funding from fringe groups -- their only source of power, by the way.
Actually, they gain much of their funding by requesting (and getting) the judge hearing their case to order that the losing side pay their legal fees in addition to the damages award, if any. So, not only do they get the standard percentage of the damages (up to half), they get all their billable hours, experts, and supplies paid.

They bill rather exhorbinantly, by all reports.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #66
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Ahem.

The ACLU began in 1920. It was not established for the express purpose of winning racial equality. In its first year, the ACLU fought the campaign of harassment and deportation ordered by U.S. Attorney General A. Mitchell Palmer against politically radical immigrants, supported the right of Industrial Workers of the World members and other trade unionists to hold meetings and organize, and secured the release of hundreds of activists imprisoned for their anti-war views and activities.
Yes, they're commies.

Next question?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #67
marichiko

Yeppers, the American Way is to go to war and kill people while imprisoning those who question the government's decision , silence dissenting views, and refuse workers the right to organize in order to negotiate reasonable working conditions and wages.

I know! Let's send everyone who disagrees with Junior's little adventure in Iraq to Alaska, round up everyone with a surname that sounds funny to detention centers in the middle of the night, and award the contracts for housing the resulting prisoners to Halliburten and company. That will show the damn Commies!

You know, Wolf, I think you'd be much happier living under a small Latin American dictatorship somewhere - say Paraguay, perhaps. Brazil is interesting, too, if you want a larger arena.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #68
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Marichiko [a very, um, ethnic sort of handle, hmm? The sort that might have gotten you interned in CA forty-five years ago], I don't seem to remember that you're writing from a Colorado jail cell. Excuse me while I fail to suppress laughter at how easy you are to poke a hole in, you LST.* If we can't tell it's satire, we're going to take it straight.

*Landing Ship (Tank). A large amphibious-landing vessel, which was also about as fast as a Liberty Ship, and thus nicknamed Large Stationary Target by bored wardroom wags.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #69
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
You know, Wolf, I think you'd be much happier living under a small Latin American dictatorship somewhere - say Paraguay, perhaps. Brazil is interesting, too, if you want a larger arena.
I have this picture of Wolf as the new Eva Peron.

"Don't cry for me ..... what the (*&)(*& is the name of this place again?"
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #70
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
If we can't tell it's satire, we're going to take it straight.

"We" who, white boy?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:41 AM   #71
deimos420
Questionist

i will never boycott liberalism, and i agree with everything michael moore says. america is full of brainwashed, half retarded robots. you dumbasses just cant face facts. this evil, disgusting country, the usa, is gonna go down. i do not support our troops, and i do not support america, cuz most of america is to fucking stupid to form their own opinion, or to glance away from britany spears or american idol long enough to know how bush and this sick ass government is controlling us and draining us for our money. we are slaves to the rich here in america. if you dont have money in this superficial, materialistic, contradictory hypocritical fake ass country, you're not considered a human. everyone who works for or supports the united states WILL go to hell. this country is the best example of evil you can get. fuck america. bush planned the 9/11 catastrophy to have an excuse to move his robot pawns, the military, bomb iraq, take it over, and steal all of iraq's oil. finishing his daddy's business. doing the illuminati's biddings. this whole country is fake, and it is a good example of a new rome, cuz this weak ass, evil, corrupt country of the unfree will fall and collapse. 2 examples of how stupid and brainwashed americans are: the new saying here in this pathetic land of the weak and brainwashed; freedom isn't free. well, if freedom isn't free, then it's not freedom, right, you fucking dumbasses? how stupid does a whole country have to be to fall for some dumb ass shit like that? it's a paradox if freedom isnt free. so, if freedom isnt free, then its not freedom. this country IS NOT FREE!!!! you can't even smoke a plant that is grown COMPLETELY naturally (marijuana) for god's sake, cuz the government doesn't know how to tax and mooch off of it. second;equality for everyone... if every man in this hypocritical, fake ass weak country was created equal, why haven't we ever had any black presidents? why no women presidents? i hate this fucking country and i hope all pro-bush patriotic cock suckers go to fucking hell and burn forever with their retarded monkey president, bush! iraq will rise and kill off this nuisance country! I AM PRO-IRAQ! I HOPE ALL OUR DUMBASS TROOPS DIE! THERE IS NO TERRORISTS EXCEPT FOR AMERICA, THE COUNTRY THAT HAS NO HUMANITY, THE COUNTRY WHERE MONEY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN PEOPLE, THE COUNTRY THAT LIES, THE GREEDIEST COUNTRY FULL OF THE MOST HEARTLESS, SELFISH, RESOURCE WASTING, OBESE, BRAINWASHED IDIOTS ON THIS PLANET!!! AMERICA WILL BURN IN HELL!!!!

p.s. : why does 1% of this country own 93% of the money, and the rest of us 99% only own 7%? where is the equality there?
deimos420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #72
deimos420
Questionist

fuck bush and fuck america...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #73
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos420
blah blah blah... I AM PRO-IRAQ! I HOPE ALL OUR DUMBASS TROOPS DIE! THERE IS NO TERRORISTS EXCEPT FOR AMERICA, .. blah blah blah
Urbane Guerrilla, is that you?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #74
deimos420
Questionist

another robot. go get yourself killed for the pockets of bush, you brainwashed idiot. thats all youre good for.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #75
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I wasn't going to post on this thread as I don't know enough about your politics. But I just wanted to applaud deimos420.

Not for the sentiment, but for managing to couple lower case ranting with near perfect punctuation (that angry and still managing correct use of colon & semi-colon when writing a list?)

Of course I do stress near perfect. "Daddy's" is correct where I might expect it not to be. "Cant" and "dont" on the other hand....
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote