The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #61
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Show me the money!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #62
ome9a
Non-Newbie Sort

need help... it happens that I found this thread a little too late... I apologize for my ignorance but I'm in a state of distress now because I'm falling for this exact scam.

after a series of emails and calls, I had negotiated a deal with him. I sent him a lot of private information and copied documents (drivers license and birth certificate). There was even a "bank" I talked to. It was the Hong Leong Bank in Malaysia. The email the bank was using was info@hlbbb-my.com and their number is +60-1-6643-1527. I have not sent them any money... As a student with loans, I wouldn't be able anyway.

He basically offered to split it 30% for me and 70% for him. I initially thought it was a potential scam but he seemed convincing when he said I did not need to send him any money. He showed me some documents that seemed legit. At this point the bank has to "confirm" my information before I have to open a foreign account with the "bank". The funds would be transferred to my account and then I can potentially wire it to my bank account here in the states.

Sorry, I'm a bit disoriented because of my stupidity. I apologize for my ignorance. I'm mostly concerned for the private information I have sent out to the "bank"... what can they do with that information? Is there anything I can do at this point?
ome9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #63
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I reckon you're at a much higher risk for identity theft based on the high quality information they have about you.

as for "do now"? You could call all your creditors and ask that no new credit extensions be granted in your name without your explicit confirmation. And check the credit reporting services and explain the same thing, and ask for holds on your info there too.

Look up what it takes to recover from ID theft. that's what I think you're most at risk of, and that risk will last for a while.

ps welcome to the cellar. sorry it's under these circumstances.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #64
ome9a
Non-Newbie Sort

Is there a place I can report potential identify theft?

Here were the documents that were given to me during the process...

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #65
ome9a
Non-Newbie Sort

The original email was word for word this one:

Dear (Deleted),

With due utmost respect,I crave your indulgence knowing that this my proposal will be a surprise to you.I am Mann Zamri, an attorney at law and the accredited legal representative to late Mr (Deleted), who was hereafter as mine client. He died as a result of heart ailment in December 2006.

I am seeking for your humble consent to assist in the transferring of the funds left behind by my late client into your account before it is confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank and this deposit valued: Nineteen Million Five Hundred and Fifty Thousand United States Dollars. Since you have the same last name with my late client so the proceeds of this funds can be remitted into your account as a foreign partner.

If this proposition offends your moral ethics,do accept my sincere apology. In contrary,indicate your interest.Note that I reserve the right to reject your acceptance on this proposal if I have reasons to believe that you may not be honest or discreet as it concerns this proposal.

Further details will be giving as soon as your interest is indicated.

Yours sincerely

Barrister.Mann Zamri
(Senior Advocate)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #67
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ome9a View Post
Is there a place I can report potential identify theft?

Here were the documents that were given to me during the process...

no idea, but look, act as if your identity has already been thefted. call the creditors you have and the credit reporting agencies (equifax, transunion, I forget the other one) and tell them your situation. They'll give you better info than I can.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #68
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Tell your bank too.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #70
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=1132325
Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #71
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Oh dear.

Yeah, identity theft is a big risk here.

I'd start by talking to your local police. They probably have a department that deal with fraud and such, get their advice.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #72
monster
I hear them call the tide

How did you find this thread, omega?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #73
ome9a
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
How did you find this thread, omega?
when i was googling around for answers i stumbled on ClassicMan's post and realized it was the same exact email i had received a month before
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #74
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I just received this to my work e-mail. I can't tell if it's real, or a new and sophisticated scam:
--------------------

Dear (HungLikeJesus),

Hope this email not bother you and your February was good so far.

I am Amber, the Program Coordinator of the 1st Annual International Congress of Marine Algae 2012 (AICMA-2012). I am writing this letter to make sure if you have received my letters previously, it was about the conference: AICMA-2012 which will be held on September 20-23, 2012 in Dalian.

Maybe there some problems with my mailbox, I haven't received your kind reply until now. May I know you like to attend this conference as a Speaker? It will be our great honor to host you in Dalian.

Until now, the following 4 Keynote Speakers have confirmed to attend:
Dr. Anthony D. Wright, Associate Professor, University of Hawaii, USA
Dr. Thierry Chopin, Professor, University of New Brunswick, Canada
Dr. Juliet Brodie, Professor, The NaturalHistoryMuseum;President 2009-2010, British Phycological Society, UK
Dr. John Benemann, Vice Chair, Algal Biomass Organization, USA
Visit more details on Keynote Speakers’ at: http://www.bitconferences.com/aicma2012/speakers.asp#1

Meanwhile, we have already updated our Session Chairs at our website, welcome to visit at: http://www.bitconferences.com/aicma2012/fullprogram.asp

Moreover, the conference website: http://www.bitconferences.com/aicma2012/

Your kind attention and soonest reply is highly appreciated.

Sincerely Yours,

Ms. Amber G___
Organizing Commission of AICMA-2012
etc...

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #75
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

A little searching finds this:

Quote:
Phishy Conference
Posted on 2010/09/27 by Sam
A couple of friends just received the following email, inviting them to a marine biotechnology conference in China this spring. Turns out it’s a scam: this company makes up all kinds of fake conferences in different scientific fields. When you register, they steal your credit card. So don’t register.
It’s actually kind of amazing how believable this looks at first glance: the sessions are all on real topics, and they have a professional-looking website. I wonder, now that people know to be wary of Nigerian princes trying to give away their fortunes, if email phishing is headed in this direction—i.e., more sophisticated and targeted.
The original email is below: ...

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote