Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #3151
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We saw a snake yesterday.
A real, live, outside-captivity snake!

I was so excited.
First ever in my lifetime.
It just snaked its way across the hot path in front of us (concrete walk in otherwise open fields by a river).

I was out with Mum - who is terrified of snakes. They repulse her. She cannot even look at a picture of one in a book. She didn't read or watch most of the Harry Potter franchise because of this. I think she tried the first film and retired when she saw a trailer for the second.

So instead of grabbing my camera and charging after it I stood still and hugged her. I feel good about that. I also didn't mention it again, even though my whole brain was singing snake! snake! snake! and my whole body was humming along.

I know this will sound so silly to people who live in countries chockful of snakes, but it's a really extraordinary occurrence for me - like seeing a "falling star" (twice in 40 years).

Happiness.

ETA it was a grass snake, one of only three indiginous snakes in this country and non-venomous.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #3152
glatt

Exciting! I'm glad you saw a snake, Sundae. Snakes are cool. Even here, you don't see them every day, and I get a little excited when I see one. "Look, a snake!"
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #3153
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

When I was a lad, my friends and I used to hunt and catch them. We had a Jr Herpetology club of sorts. Mostly we caught Garter Snakes.... but we caught a milk snake once, which was cool.. and a Rainbow garter... HUGE fucker. 5-6 feet long, and thick as a bike tire.

One time, I made a grab for a small garter...(we used to do that thing they do with Cobras where you get them looking at your one hand, then snatch them with the other) and it bit me. I was so surprised that I yanked my hand back reflexively. I tossed the snake 10 feet in the air.... and it came down right on Dan's head. It slashed my finger open as it was jerked free.

I remember Eric getting bit another time, and him being calm enough to simply remove the snake's teeth carefully from his hand, leaving a couple small punctures instead of a pair of lacerations like I had.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #3154
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Come over here Sundae. You'll be lucky to go a month in the cool season without seeing one if you hang around my suburb for a while.

You'll see venomous and non. Big and small. All sorts of snakes. Some of them even up close and personal if you're really lucky. lol

If you want to see more deadly snakes than not, I'll take you to Dad's place. He has taipans, king browns, eastern browns and the less deadly red belly blacks. (we have those too, but we have a lot of non venomous around our area too).
Old 07-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #3155
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
When I was a lad, my friends and I used to hunt and catch them. ...
I've even snacked on a few.

Wikipedia - Snake, consumption:
"U.S. Army Special Forces trainees are taught to catch, kill, and eat snakes during their survival course; this has earned them the nickname "snake eaters", ..."
Wikipedia - Special Forces (United States Army), introduction:
"Nickname
Green Berets, Quiet Professionals, Soldier-Diplomats, Snake Eaters, Bearded Bastards"
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #3156
glatt

I had the rattlesnake appetizer once in a touristy steak house in Phoenix. It was alright. Six of us shared a snake segment about 6 inches long. It was broiled, I think. I'd eat it again.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #3157
Aliantha

Meet Homer and Marge, Mav's first breeding pair of Lovebirds.

Name:  Homer and Marge (582x800).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  53.1 KB
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #3158
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Looks like Mav is going for a "double rainbow"
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #3159
Aliantha

It will be interesting to see what colour babies they make, if they end up being successful breeders.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #3160
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Pretty, pretty.

It's Cherry's Week of Wildlife apparently.
Had two hedgehogs in the garden last night - mama and baby I think.
Now hodgepigs aren't rare in my life or even in this area, but I don't see as many as I used to and still find them exciting.
I put down some cat food for them (Mia's hahaha) and they were very happy with that.
They are noisy buggers. They were up and down the decking like Roman centurians. Mum thought I was out there moving the garden furniture around.

They obviously have the same heavy paw syndrome as Diz - in which a tiny animal can exert massive force in one single paw, usually about 14 stone right on my tit at about 04.30.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #3161
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Har! Love hodgepigs.

Martin and Sophie found a baby one on their walk last week. It looked like it had fallen off a wall. They googled to see whether it is advised to leave them for mum or take them in. Take it in apparently. So now they have a hodgepig in their menagerie:P

Last edited by DanaC; 07-30-2012 at 07:30 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #3162
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mum & Dad took one to a local wildlife hospital the other week. But it was hurt (they think by a council mower) and definitely needed treatment.

The hospital gave them a good prognosis on initial viewing and asked for a donation. Good tactics - get people who care to cough up when they're vulnerable (not being sarcastic). Mum strong-armed Dad into £10 and felt good for the rest of the day.

Poor vulnerable lickle things. Spines are no match for ride-on garden machinery.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #3163
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I know. So tiny!

I see lots of hedgehogs around here. From time to time I see a dead one on the road, but not so often considering how many there appear to be bumbling about the village of a night time.

Chops (love that btw :p) and I somtimes just stand and watch one doing its hodgepiggy thing when we go for our last walk. They're so cute.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #3164
Aliantha

I am very hungry today. I've already had a big bowl of cereal. I think I need to eat something else.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #3165
Aliantha

I had some more cereal, then a glass of milk. Now I feel stuffed...and I need a nap.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror