Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #76
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
After the Republo-Christian takeover of the US is complete, let us know how the fight to keep from being reeducated goes for you, okay?
Well, seems like everybody's got a memetic system they're selling these days, you know? Sometimes it's a system containing concepts like "Republo-Christian".
Quote:
Here's a hint: make sure you buy the guns and ammo in lots of different places spread out across the country so that the locals don't know you've got 'em.
Here's a hint for *you*: it's the liberals that are all hot to restrict and register weapons. The "locals" pretty much know what I've got, and that I know how to use it. They don't even seem to give much of a shit who I sleep with...and the gang at the shooting range--you know, all those rednecks--seem to feel pretty much the same way.

For somebody who slams Bush for being a fear merchant, seems to me like you've got a fair stock of it on the shelf yourself.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #77
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
It's the Islamofacists that worry me.
Why do they worry you?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #78
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You're right, Maggie. Nothing like what is going on in the Middle East could ever happen *here*. It isn't like we're seeing signs of growing fascism and restriction of public freedoms in our country right now. It isn't like we aren't trying to force other countries to do things according to our principles. And even if we are, it is for our own good, our own security. No one in *this* country would ever abuse such powers, they'll just use them for good.

Yup, just fearmongering, that's me.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #79
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's a matter of degree, and what can be accomplished in a free, modern, and educated society, as opposed to a backwards, uneducated one.

They put "In God We Trust" on the coins. They looked for patterns in overseas communications. They like eminent domain. Well Please, That Ain't Nothin'. Wake me when they cancel the elections.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #80
MaggieL

Quote:
Nothing like what is going on in the Middle East could ever happen *here*.
Sure it could. They have an expressed intention to deliver it.

Of course, it's moral equivalance time again...I'm sure you can tell us again how Dubya is "just as bad if not worse". Or not...you're preaching to the choir (can he get an amen?), and the sinners have heard it before too.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #81
Flint
Snowflake

It is simply a matter of being comitted to the wrong path. How far down that path you happen to have made it, so far, is not the issue so much as the stated intentions, the drive, towards moving things in the wrong direction. Monotheism and political monopolies are a horrible combination, regardless of which particular brand of monotheism.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #82
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Stockpile lots of ammo, it'll make great footage when the Apaches come.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:39 AM   #83
NoBoxes

Quote:
I don't have to defend my right to exist by being an armed citizen, but I do choose to do so; it's my right and I won't give it up. Trading my birthright for the liberal's mess of pottage won't change the threats I face one whit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
When the Apaches come; or, any other hostiles for that matter, I'd rather have MaggieL covering my 6 than many others here. Successful civilian personal defense is best achieved by adopting it as a life style just as soldiers, citizen-soldiers, and police have done. Proper mindset is essential to successfully employing the knowledge of weapons and tactics. MaggieL's priorities are squared away.

A single person can greatly affect the outcome of hostilities of the type that individuals are most likely to encounter. Even in the event of larger scale hostilities (e.g. riots), personal defense skills can be useful. An individual need not defeat all of the opposing hostiles in order to "win"; rather, the individual need only use available means to break contact with the hostiles and survive. This is a practical capability considering that our collective defensive systems (e.g. police, National Guard) are insufficient to protect everyone needing protection.

For the same reason (i.e. inadequate collective defensive systems), some people want to have their own gas masks and chemical protective suits. The government isn't going to issue these items to civilians, except for a few politically high profile locations, even if there is a chemical, biological, or radiological (e.g. dirty bomb) attack let alone just because people may live in a high risk area for these.

That's why it's BYOG(guns), A(ammo), PG(protective gear), W(water), F(food), ... BYOEverything; or, BYEBYE! It's simply not irrational these days to be prepared if one has the means.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #84
MaggieL

Quote:
You do your threat assessment, I'll do mine.

Meanwhile you can stockpile lots of tinfoil.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:32 AM   #85
Griff
still says videotape

aluminum is fine
Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 AM   #86
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
aluminum is fine
Well, the idiom is "tinfoil hat", made from aluminum, of course. "tin cans" have a steel core, too, and "pencil lead" is graphite.

Damn, if I thought somebody was bombarding my house with radio waves, I'd be able to tell you flux denities, frequency spectra, waveforms and direction.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #87
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Damn, if I thought somebody was bombarding my house with radio waves, I'd be able to tell you flux denities, frequency spectra, waveforms and direction.
Really? Tell me what the flux density, waveform, and the direction of the RF energy hitting your house at 2340MHz is.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #88
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoxes
That's why it's BYOG(guns), A(ammo), PG(protective gear), W(water), F(food), ... BYOEverything; or, BYEBYE! It's simply not irrational these days to be prepared if one has the means.
Hey...I'm completely in favor of this. The question is...when the hostiles come, are they gonna be other Americans? I think that is a more likely scenario than an airliner plunging down into my suburb.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #89
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
You're certainly not pointing out anything I don't know. I can't make a homophobe not hate me
Oh, but you could plant the seeds of change in their minds by being really, really charming...oh, wait, never mind.

Quote:
liberal's mess of pottage
Liberal Mess of Pottage would be a good name for a rock band.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #90
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
sweet!