The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #1501
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
.....I need to stop looking at everything that is saying how bad this is gonna be for the Carolinas....
Good time to test camp gear!
Old 09-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #1502
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

See if your air mattress will float you down the street. If it's dark and gloomy out, be sure you have running lights!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #1503
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Drag a line!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #1504
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Glatt, the water comes in your back door? Down some steps if I recall? Yes. I just found the video. No wonder I had such a specific mental image.

Anyway.... Maybe get a big cat litter box, to collect the water, run some plastic sheeting from the edge of the lowest step that would be above the rim of the box.... Get a fast sump pump, some 1.25" pvc or whatever fits, a one way valve and some of that purple glue and elbows and rig a pipe to blow the water off and away.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #1505
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Or, you could always just torch the house for the insurance money and walk away.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #1506
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Park a duck boat across your backyard. It'll sink in the storm and then deflect water away from the house.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #1507
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Thinking about a son and daughter-in-law not far from glatt and facing the same issues. Other relatives in Virginia Beach are hunkering down. A pilot whom I saw for a physical today mentioned that his family were on the road from SC and traveling at walking pace or less. People are moving inland, but the roads are full.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #1508
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I'm ready I have a newspaper and a James Michener book. Everyone is leaving and my dealer had a sale so I am fortified.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #1509
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Here in Raleigh we're pretty much ready for Flo's arrival - water and gas are getting hard to find right now. We're forecast for 10-12 inches of rain or 10-15 depending on where you read. I'm more concerned about the trees around us than anything else.

Bbro - if you are in Raleigh - hollar if you need anything!

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #1510
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Park a duck boat across your backyard. It'll sink in the storm and then deflect water away from the house.
It won't sink it will just capsize and deflect water into the basement, poor design.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #1511
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At noon on 9-11 the high tide at Hatteras Light showed an 18 inch(46cm) increase from storm surge, 3 days before the storm should hit.

North Carolina has another problem...
Quote:
From the livestock industry, one environmental impact from the storm could be from the lagoons, or lined earthen pits, that hold treated manure. They are commonly used to manage swine waste... More than 10 billion pounds of wet animal waste is produced annually in the state, according to a June 2016 report by the group, which has monitored the impact of past storms. North Carolina is the top U.S. turkey producer, ranks third for chicken and is home to more hogs than any state other than Iowa, government data show...
That's a lot of shit to get mobile.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #1512
glatt

This morning's forecast has it really missing me and staying further south. Maybe 2 inches of rain. Our house will be fine.

I feel bad for the Carolinas.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #1513
Griff
still says videotape

This is going to be ugly.

Those manure lagoons are really bad news. They're a known problem created by industrial scale agriculture and crappy regulation.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #1514
bbro
Insert witty comment here

@sexobon - the only thing that has me worried is flooding. I live in a basement apartment. So the floating in an air mattress might work! I have 2 headlamps! One for front and one for back, I'm good to go

@Griff - I've got the camp stoves and the camp pots out! I'll probably put the air mattress and sleeping bag in the car in case I need to relocate to someone's house. (see flooding worry above)

@Dagney - I am in Raleigh. Near the airport in Brier Creek. I will let you know, thanks. I've got water, batteries, light for power outages, food, full tank of gas. Even if the power and water go, I'm good. Nevermind - I don't have a friend to stay with if I flood. I'll let you know, thanks.

Last edited by bbro; 09-12-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Apparently I don't have a friend to stay with
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #1515
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You guyz, Mom (Katkeeper) is going to drive from Murphy NC to Cary NC on Sunday afternoon. To visit friends there.

Mom is 85 but her Subaru is 4 wheel drive you see

The alternative is to just head home to Pennsylvania on I-81

With the new track she is Cary-bound for sure

I hope the roads are still passable
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote