The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-01-2001, 03:49 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Caught off the coast, this crusty old lad is a well-understood mutation... one in 2,000,000 lobsters come out of the water this color.

Anyone hear George Carlin's old "there's no blue food" routine? Well here it is, blue food.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 08:52 AM   #2
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps

Caught off the coast, this crusty old lad is a well-understood mutation... one in 2,000,000 lobsters come out of the water this color.

Anyone hear George Carlin's old "there's no blue food" routine? Well here it is, blue food.
Blueberries? Plums? Grapes?

Plenty o' blue food.

Myself, I don't consider something that looks, to me at leasst, like a great big blue bug to be especially appetizing.

But, there I go, being kosher again,
Z
adamzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 02:30 AM   #3
jaguar
whig

i've hard of cows producing purple milk after eating tons of blackberries but this is crazy, hmmm still looks tasty...
Old 05-03-2001, 09:07 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
i've hard of cows producing purple milk after eating tons of blackberries but this is crazy, hmmm still looks tasty...
Yes, but what is the color after you steam/boil it?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:50 AM   #5
jaguar
whig

don't ask me, i haven't had the oppotunity to try, what color is the lobster here after you steam it?
Old 05-04-2001, 11:42 PM   #6
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Post-Cooking

After you boil them, they turn a vibrant red, just like you'd expect normal lobster to be colored. I remember this because it threw off the color scheme of this meal i was preparing (still delicious, but eh). Apparently the blood vessels flowing to the carapace burst when you boil it. That, and they scream, which is really eery, especially if you're only used to cooking stuff that's extrmemly dead
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 01:27 AM   #7
jaguar
whig

Talking

yes, it woudl be, i prefer it when my food dosne't scream at me oddly enough.
Pretty cruel way to kill it, i say kill it first, i wouldn't mind(ok i would but if i was a lobster), if some1 ate me after i was dead but i'd rather they let me die b4 i was boiledm what a painful way to go, i hate too hot baths as it is.
Old 05-11-2001, 12:00 PM   #8
zeolite
Fellow-Commoner

If you kill the lobster first, the toxins in the blood react differently than when you boil it and make it taste bad and/or make you sick. There is also a debate on the screaming thing. Many think that it is just steam hissing out from inside the lobster as it boils.

Whatever the case, it's cruel any way you slice it. But, mmmmm boy, thems a tasty lobster by!
zeolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #9
shipwreckdan
Kinda New Member

Dead lobsters aren't bad.... and they dont make u sick. I'm a commercial lobsterboat deckhand, and when they die in transport (pots in ocean to tanks on land) we eat'em. We just break the tail and claws off, and throw the body in the channel. Sometimes u get a lobster that has just molt, and if their shell is still "soft" (crunchy..not firm to the squeeze) there's not much meat in them, mostly runny juice. This happens in some that have "cancer" too(some wierd shell condition that affects a small percentage of lobsters. Shells look kinda like there rusted, and very fragile). Never seen a blue one yet, but i've only been doing this for 2 years.

So in conclusing, u can eat them when they're broken, even after they've died, and u wont get sick. I should know, cause i get a third of the dead ones from each trip. When they're bad they smell bad, thats a pretty safe rule with all seafood.

Well i'm gonna grab a nap, heading back out tonight 11pm. 8 hr steam to the grounds.
Dan
Commercial fisherman
shipwreckdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar Dan. Be carefull of the sharks out there.....and in here.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #11
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Welcome Dan! I think you can stick the lobster in the fridge, and it will lose consiousness and slip into a coma. You drop it in the pot and cook it up. It's probably steam escaping from the shell.

Never cooked one myself, but I helped my inlaws eat a mess of mudbugs last 4th of july.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:44 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hey !! How come that skinny little guy Tony Shepps started this thread. Where's Undertoad??
Old 11-10-2003, 11:02 PM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

WTFAYTA?
Old 11-11-2003, 12:13 AM   #14
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

It's amusing that people will eat lobsters, but freak out if a bug gets in their food. They're just bugs of the sea. Very cool to watch though. I can't picture eating one. That's what gets me. It's so damn cool to watch all kinds of life wander around, why would I want to bring an end to it?

What did you expect, it's a "food" thread. I had to make some comment. Plus I needed an excuse to test my tag line.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
WTFAYTA?
look. How many Tony Shepps do you see?