The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #61
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

funny you mention that!every now and then some dumb ass will come into the pit when the ride is over and twice the car port has been nailed! the second time was with a double seat car. yeah they not only bought a go kart ride but a pole too.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #62
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

So do you own an amusement park or something?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #63
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

nah my good friend and flying buddy does. i started working for him year ago last september when i quit working at the flight school/charter biz. i'm trying to get back into engineering or aviation but the economy sucks balls still so....
here is a link to our web page Houston Grand Prix if you'd like to check it out.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #64
TheMercenary

Pretty cool. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #65
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Naw, it's OK, I see them, I'm just thinking ahead.

If you need a rear main, it could be from excessive end play, worn thrust bearings. If the crank is walking, it could be causing the cam to walk too. Doesn't matter if the cam is chain or gear driven, unless it's got a thrust retainer, it can walk with the crank. Something to think about.
i was rereading. so let me ask you this. when the bearings wear out then the shaft walks longitudinally? and if so then does that mean that the seals leak as a result of that? or could the seals just be old and leaky?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #66
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It could be either or neither, I was trying to figure out why the cam would be walking. But, after seeing the set up for that cam sensor, a walking cam wouldn't cause that problem. The rear main might have taken a beating from the trans problem too. Just keep an eye on the leak and see how bad it gets, it may just leak a little bit, for a long time.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #67
chrisinhouston
Professor

My house and garage here in Texas were built in the late 70's and at that time built under county codes which are less strict the City of Houston ones which we now fall under. My garage is 22' wide and 20' deep and the ceiling joists and rafters are all 2 x 6's!!! Most were showing signs of sagging only made worse by knots that had all but dried out and were cracking.

My man cave/ wood working shop conversion began by insulating and drywalling the walls followed by a major re-engineering of the ceiling. Replacing the sagging rafters was not an option and even if we had, the code would call for something like a 2 x 10 or 2 x 12 or some kind of laminated beam. So I used an idea from an article I read several years ago in Fine Homebuilding. We jacked up the joists as much as possible to straighten out the sag, as much as 1 1/2 inches in the center of the room in some places. Using 1/2 cdx plywood ripped into 6 inch strips my son and I heavily coated one side with wood glue, clamped in place and used drywall screws about every 8 inches in a zig zag pattern to create a sister side board, then we did the other side of the 2 x 6. After every joist was engineered with the glued plywood we attached 2 x 4's to the rafters in a truss pattern to spread the load to the roof which is a 4 sided pyramid shape.

Then we added R19 insulation and 5/8 inch drywall, damn that stuff is heavy! My son is out there now starting to tape it and float it. He was a dry waller in California before relocating here.

This is the ceiling from Wednesday top today, Saturday!
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #68
chrisinhouston
Professor

Finishing the hanging of the drywall and starting to tape the seams. My son will do 2 passes of hot mud which drys with in an hour and then a final skimming with topping mud. It can be sanded the next day and painted!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well done, a lot of work but, worth it. Does it have hurricane clips?
5/8 Drywall, yikes! You must have a lot of faith in your new lam-beams.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #70
chrisinhouston
Professor

No we didn't add clips to the existing garage but did to a shed addition I added at the back wall of the building. The garage is low and we are in a heavily wooded area of Houston so if hurricane force wind gusts ever got down to 8 ft off the ground we would be in serious trouble with our 2 story home and our neighbor's before it effected the garage.

My son recommended 5/8 as it is fire coded and is only about 18lbs heavier per sheet than a sheet of 1/2 would be and would be better for our uneven ceiling joists. We don't have snow to worry about for extra roof weight and I only plan on storing some light things in the small attic space. I thought the 5/8 4 x 8s were heavy and my son said I should try hanging 5/8 4 x 12's instead!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #71
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Drywall jacks are cheap to rent, and a wondrous thing to use. I had always thought they would be more trouble than they would be worth, and used the grunt & swear method. Then I was helping a guy last spring that insisted on using one, and I was very impressed... and kicking myself for the money I'd wasted on Tylenol all these years.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #72
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

My man cave/ wood working shop conversion

Yeah Right , Until yer Wife sees How AWESOME it turns out , then it'll be a Yoga / Sewing / Gurl Cave !!!

Good Job so far !!

But 5/8 Sheet rock OVER FREAKEN HEAD ????!!!!
Dude do you have STOCK In Tylenol or sum such ??
Old 01-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #73
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

very very nice chris!! major which part of houston? conroe, woodlands, kingwood? did you by chance put down some decking in your storage area there?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #74
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
My man cave/ wood working shop conversion

Yeah Right , Until yer Wife sees How AWESOME it turns out , then it'll be a Yoga / Sewing / Gurl Cave !!!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #75
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
very very nice chris!! major which part of houston? conroe, woodlands, kingwood? did you by chance put down some decking in your storage area there?
We live in Kingwood and yes, the shed I attached to my garage has a raised floor built on treated 2 x 8's sitting on concrete blocks just above the ground.
Attached Images