The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 06-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes but you couldn't move it over a paved road, and would tear up an unpaved road. This is why the push to rubber tires in the '30s. A guy I grew up with travels all over buying up those spiked wheels and selling them to the Amish.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's been an obsession among the more-money-than-they-know-what-to-do-with crowd, to unearth hot rods, customs, and race cars that had 15 minutes of fame and restore them. They've even added a class for them at the big concours d'elegance shows. One group is car magazine cover cars, ignoring the fact that cover cars weren't necessarily the best of the breed, just good looking and available for a photo shoot before the go to press deadline each month. I think their attitude was, it ain't the best but it's better than yours.

This is one of those cars, the first cover car for Rod & Custom.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #48
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It absolutely cost more to restore. Tracking down the old parts needed probably cost a small fortune. Not to mention the difference in labor costs vs. 1953.

And it's missing the towbar. Understandably.

ETA: Nevermind the towbar, where's the radiator?!?

Underneath, maybe? I've seen that a couple times.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, the tow bar was only attached when towing and is more a part of the tow rig than the car. They had Gene Winfield do the paint on the restoration and ship it back to the shop doing the assembly. Coincidentally it was Winfield who made those water pipes in the '40s, and just happened to have an NOS pair hanging on the wall of his shop. He donated them to the project when he sent the body back.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #50
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
There's been an obsession among the more-money-than-they-know-what-to-do-with crowd, to unearth hot rods, customs, and race cars that had 15 minutes of fame and restore them.
How people spend their money is a matter for them, but I struggle to understand what makes someone spend more money than most of us will see in a lifetime on a car. Each to his own.

Quote:
'Exceptional' Aston Martin found 14 years after theft

Name:  Aston M 1.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  40.8 KB

An Aston Martin racing car with "an exceptional history" has been found by police 14 years after it was stolen.

The DB2, which competed in the 1949 Le Mans 24-hour race, was taken in 2002 from Baldock, Hertfordshire.

Police used intelligence to track it down to a storage facility in Eindhoven, Holland, in March this year.

The car's owner at the time of the theft died before it was found so it was returned to a relative. It is being auctioned off for up to £900,000.*

Two men convicted of stealing the car in 2003 failed to return to court for sentencing and have never been caught again.

Det Sgt Jo Goodson, from Hertfordshire Police, who travelled to Holland to seize the car, said it was "extremely satisfying" to get the vehicle back.

"It was quite emotional because it's a lovely car with an exceptional history," she added.

The green prototype, which was built as a test-bed for the later production of the DB2, was the only one of three Aston Martins in the 1949 race to cross the finish line.

Name:  Aston M 2.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  36.0 KB

Ashley Mack, who is now the rightful owner, said his relative Christopher Angell had been left "devastated" by the theft of his vehicle.

"Just before he died in 2003 he was still asking 'has that nice policeman got my car yet?'" he said.

"Even at this stage my heart will be pleased if it doesn't sell, but my head has to acknowledge that it will cost many thousands to restore."

The vehicle will go under the hammer at Bonhams' Goodwood Festival of Speed sale later this month.
* £900,000 = $1,320,000 (In round figures)

BBC link
Old 06-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Although it has some historical significance and would be a good Museum piece, to who ever buys and restores the car it will be a trophy, a display of wealth, and a step up the social standing ladder in the small circle of high end collectors. Some of these guys make money on these acquisitions as the auction prices climb into the stratosphere. But the prices are at risk of collapse at any time. As much as they tout the value of this or that car, the reality is it's worth not what you paid, but what someone is willing to pay you.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #52
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
.......Some of these guys make money on these acquisitions as the auction prices climb into the stratosphere. But the prices are at risk of collapse at any time. As much as they tout the value of this or that car, the reality is it's worth not what you paid, but what someone is willing to pay you.
A few years back, so-called classic cars were seen as the next big thing in alternative investments.
The whole thing seemed to be built on sand as the cars were bought and sold within a small pool of investors aka 'mugs' and eventually the market, such as it was, seized up and many suffered severe financial loss.
I get the feeling that things are now back to normal, if you can use that word in this context, and it's now the domain of multi-millionaires once again.

Last edited by Carruthers; 06-21-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Too many to's. (Scuse apostrophe. Tos seemed wrong as well)
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think you're right although there are a lot more millionaires than ever. At a lower level, guys who's kids are out of college and daughter's weddings are paid for, want to own a car that they wanted/had that was cool when they were in high school. So the prices seem to ebb and flow along a timeline about 30 years behind that demographic except for a few milestone cars that are always popular like the '57 Chevy, or '65 Mustang.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I can't even...
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's Fageol again in 1922...
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A Jeep Liberty on fire. Watch what happens when the water hits the hot magnesium transfer case at 1:10.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This shows the operation of a steam powered machine shop. It's 30 minutes long but the steam supply is at the beginning, then various machines in action. I salvaged a pulley and pilliowblock shaft system out of a shop that was powered by a 5hp electric motor.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #58
glatt

That's so awesome. The old DuPont water powered shop at the Hagley Museum looks very similar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The system I got, the primary wheel in the system, which was driven by the 5hp motor, became the base for my coffee table. The top is a wood grid like you've seen on hatch covers in sailing ship movies, has a metal tag on the edge that says "First Class Only". The guy in the van who sold it to me swore it's from the Titanic.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Testing at the Bureau of Standards in Washington DC...
Attached Images