The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

It is *extremely* rare for deformities in mammals to be this perfectly symmetrical. I wouldn't be so amazed by a cyclopic cat that had one eye kind of slightly off to one side, sloped a bit or otherwise misshapen, but this one is too *perfect*.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
sandra77
Antagonistic Antagonist

I thought cats were born with their eyes closed?
sandra77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The snopes article addresses that.

But the part of my brain that assesses "normal" and "okay" is insisting that the picture looks 'Shopped.

Oh please, let it turn out to be 'Shopped, so that I can sleep.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #19
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The snopes article addresses that.

But the part of my brain that assesses "normal" and "okay" is insisting that the picture looks 'Shopped.

Oh please, let it turn out to be 'Shopped, so that I can sleep.
What is really disturbing is that it occurs in 'mammals'. I have never heard of this in humans. Of course, I really don't want to.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #20
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
It is *extremely* rare for deformities in mammals to be this perfectly symmetrical. I wouldn't be so amazed by a cyclopic cat that had one eye kind of slightly off to one side, sloped a bit or otherwise misshapen, but this one is too *perfect*.
It probably depends on how early the mutation kicks in. If it happens before the sides differentiate, left and right both receive the same incorrect instructions.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #21
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
What is really disturbing is that it occurs in 'mammals'. I have never heard of this in humans. Of course, I really don't want to.
Too bad! See near the end of this article:
Quote:
It is also possible that the rare but occasional birth of malformed childs affected by cyclopia, a rare congenital cephalic disorders, could have inspired the legend.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #22
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

The eye looks way to big. kittens eyes are nowhere near that size. They are tiny, blue, relfective, closed and even if thats two eyes mutated together it couldn't be that big!!

surely he should have frozen the kitten corpse for proof and study.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #23
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
The eye looks way to big. kittens eyes are nowhere near that size. They are tiny, blue, relfective, closed and even if thats two eyes mutated together it couldn't be that big!!
I think it's more that the head is too small--I think the poor thing's just missing most of his skull and body, which happens to include one eye. It looks like he might be missing the other two legs as well.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #24
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

I've seen a real cyclopic human baby, pickled in a jar. It was similar enough to this kitten picture to convince me that the kitten picture is real.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Considering how complicated the process is, between the sperm/egg and the finished product, it's a miracle any of them turn out "right".
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #26
busterb
NSABFD

Please define "right"
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #27
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

True. creation is amazing and complicated.. its ineviatable that it should stuff up sometimes. I just read that snopes thing said that the big eye thing is a symptom of the cyclops deformity(or whatever it is).
Old 01-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #28
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

<i>It is *extremely* rare for deformities in mammals to be this perfectly symmetrical.</i>

And ....

<I>creation is amazing and complicated.. its ineviatable that it should stuff up sometimes. </i>

Actually I think the word you wanted to use (i.e. the word I would have use if I were you) was "evolution". As in "evolution is amazing and complicated". I realize that our difference in expression may be due to differences in political thought.

Howere, if we can agree to disagree about the proper word use in this instance (i.e creation/evolution), then I am in complete agreement with your statement.

[o.k. but seriously,have you read <a href="http://www.pamd.uscourts.gov/kitzmiller/kitzmiller_342.pdf">this opinion?</a> [warning! pdf]. It is AMAZING LAW, imho.]
wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #29
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I wonder if Ripley's wound up with the corpse.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #30
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
Actually I think the word you wanted to use (i.e. the word I would have use if I were you) was "evolution". As in "evolution is amazing and complicated". I realize that our difference in expression may be due to differences in political thought.
I'm no expert on birth defects, but my understanding is that there are genetic birth defects (which you could call evolution) and birth defects caused by other factors like exposure to certain toxins during pregnancy. One of the links in the Snopes article says that this particular condition in farm animals is cause by the mother eating a certain plant during pregnancy. Such a birth defect wouldn't change the DNA of the fetus, it would just interrupt its development. Without a DNA change, the defect wouldn't be passed along to the offspring of the fetus (assuming the fetus lived and could reproduce.) It's not genetic, so it's not evolution.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote