The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Girls would wear their boyfriend's ring on a chain.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #17
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I was born in October which has a pink stone that I wouldn't buy in '72. Since I have suffered from burglary and a house fire it is doubtful that I would still have it anyway.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your rings had birthstones? Ours had school colors, Green/Gold and Black/Gold.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The ring folks wanted us to want school colors. You could get birthstones.

I got amethyst, cuz it were purty.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #20
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I got one in 10th grade. I chose a sapphire colored glass center instead of peridot(birthstone) cuz i liked the color. I think mine rattled off my shelf into the trash because I played my electric guitar loud enough to piss my mother off.

it was white gold. ..chosen because I was reading those Stephen R Donaldson books.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #21
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

What a racket!
I also had to buy a dress blue uniform in OCS. Hundred + hard to come by bucks: wore once.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #22
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I'm surprised Challenge Coins haven't replaced class rings on a large scale:

Quote:
… In the context as they are used by the modern U.S. military, the tradition probably began among special forces units during the Vietnam War. The tradition spread through the Airborne community, and by the early 1980s also into the 75th Ranger Regiment. …

… Challenge coins are also exchanged outside the military. NASCAR, the NFL, cadets of the Civil Air Patrol, Eagle Scouts and World Series of Poker all have their own challenge coins. They are also becoming popular with police departments, fire departments and fraternal organizations. In 2007, the Utah Symphony and Opera gave challenge coins to all of its staff and musicians, making it the first symphony organization in America to do so. Franklin Public School in Ontario has a coin that is given to graduates, featuring its mascot 'Frankie'. …

… As of 2010, coins manufactured in China and South Korea typically cost between US$2.50 to US$7.00 per coin, depending on production process and complexity of design, laser engraving, enamels, voids, etc. The dies must be sculpted by an artist and can range in cost from US$50 to US$300, depending on complexity. The cost of domestic manufacture can be many times this amount.

In order to be competitive, most North American companies offering challenge coins rely on having the product manufactured offshore. Many challenge coins are fabricated in South Korea, as the connection to the US military bases there is strong, and costs are cheaper than those made in the US. ...
Some entertaining stories from the linked Wiki article here.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The rings were to display your accomplishments in plain site, bragging if you will. The coins don't meet that purpose unless you display them. Whipping them out is vulgar bragging and offensive to polite society.