The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #1456
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
[Heavy Panting] Yes! Yes! I had bologna and banana for breakfast. Squeee! [/Heavy Panting]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post

You two crack me up. Thoroughly needed today!

One more for ya: DORITOS FOR BREAKFAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Posers.

Two days ago I had a Red Baron pizza for breakfast.

And about two weeks ago I had chili. For breakfast.
Quote:
I had the skillet lasagna/pasta for breakfast today :P

Menu drift...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #1457
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I had bones for supper last nite
Attached Images

Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #1458
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

The aftermath
I tried to upload the aftermath, and after re sizing the pic three times it still would not load. FUCKING COMPUTERS!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #1459
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Yesterday I had the potato soup (more like loaded baked potato soup) and beef with cheese and spinach inside. This is also for lunch today cause that's how I do

Today I am making skillet lasagna, but I'm using something other than lasagna noodles. Why? Cause I want to. I am hankering for a different noodle shape.
Lasagna noodles?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #1460
bbro
Insert witty comment here

fargon - those look gorgeous. I have never been able to successfully make bones of any time

Dana - like these pictured. Do you have a different name for them?
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #1461
DanaC

Yeah - pasta sheets.

'noodle' is only ever used to refer to long thin strips/strands. Like the stuff you get in noodle soup, or chow mein. It isn't used as a wider word for pasta, as (I now realise) it is used in the US.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #1462
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

fargon, those look delicious. damn.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #1463
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yeah - pasta sheets.

'noodle' is only ever used to refer to long thin strips/strands. Like the stuff you get in noodle soup, or chow mein. It isn't used as a wider word for pasta, as (I now realise) it is used in the US.
It's funny, I call them Lasagna noodles, and spaghetti, capellini, fettucini, ramen, soba, are also noodles, but any other pasta shape is either pasta or whatever its Italian name is. Farfalle, Ditalini, gemelli and so on.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #1464
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Addie fixed latkes with onion and garnished with a dollop of sour cream. Quite proud of my 7 year old. Of course, Elizabeth hovered over her. They just got through playing dreidel. They used pralines for coins.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #1465
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
It's funny, I call them Lasagna noodles, and spaghetti, capellini, fettucini, ramen, soba, are also noodles, but any other pasta shape is either pasta or whatever its Italian name is. Farfalle, Ditalini, gemelli and so on.
Ahh now - spaghetti is never called noodles here - that's spaghetti. Or pasta.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #1466
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Hi guys. Those ribs look pretty excellent, and latkes, my god I'd shank someone kosher-style for a pile of good latkes about now. A smooth, clean draw across a major artery with a blade so fresh and sharp that god could shave with it and not realise for a week that it's taken an eyebrow and half an ear along with it. In exchange for potato things. Fair trade.

I just wanted to tell you guys I tried, and fucked up horribly, making african food tonight: a Tanzanian-style rice pilao with peanut sauce. I forgot to get normal, natural peanut butter from the store for the sauce, and it turns out that choosy africans don't actually choose Jif. Who knew? The end result isn't terrible, as such, but it's a lot like I'm eating some interesting and exotically seasoned food between bites of a peanut butter sandwich. Luckily, I did not actually add the sauce directly to the rice, so in the end what I've got left is a pot of wild rice with carrots, onions, and a few dabs of mushroom and potato, and some spicy peanut goober with mushrooms and onions. Lesson learned. I think I'll try just putting peanuts in the rice next time.

Other than that, I wanted to ask readers here: thoughts on "kombucha" tea? Anyone tried it, liked it, disliked it? I think I like it, but it's a very odd thing to me.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #1467
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Does that mean you've had a proper "Tanzanian-style rice pilao with peanut sauce" to compare?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #1468
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Kombucha is fermented, and tastes like it. If you enjoy things like kimchi, real sauerkraut, etc., then you will probably also enjoy the tang of kombucha. Most people I know drink it because it's good for them, not because they genuinely like the flavor.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #1469
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Does that mean you've had a proper "Tanzanian-style rice pilao with peanut sauce" to compare?
Well, I think I had something closely approximating it, anyways. My boss is a wildlife ecologist specializing in large mammals of africa; he lives in africa quite a large portion of the year and has done so for ages, he and his wife both. They invited me to a christmas dinner party a couple weeks ago and what they served as the main course was an african rice pilao with mushrooms and onions and a spicy peanut sauce. A Tanzanian student was also in attendance and it seemed to meet with his approval, and I loved it to pieces, myself. Relatively simple in nature, but surprisingly complex in flavor thanks to the addition of a spice blend that's a combination of cumin, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, and cinnamon. Also some things like ginger, garlic, cayenne, and green chiles, and a little coconut milk. It's quite a lovely taste, a lovely sort of subdued, earthy spice going on. I had to blend the spice mix by hand, though, and one thing I probably need to do is let them all integrate together a bit longer before I use them again. I can say that today, after it's been in the fridge overnight, the cooked dish actually smells and tastes even better than it did last night, in part because the flavors were able to meld together a bit better.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #1470
monster
I hear them call the tide

Spag Bol