The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The Crash, etc.

A pretty good read about the market crash. Puts it in perspective.

How the Masters of the Universe ran amok and cost us the earth

SLAM. Slam. Slam. Slam. Like a scene from a gathering of Mafia dons, the doors of 30 black Lincolns slammed shut as their besuited occupants stepped out into a Manhattan downpour – and into a global financial storm.
That storm broke yesterday, with stock markets tumbling around the world. In London, the FTSE 100 plunged almost 4 per cent to 5204.2. Scotland's banking giants were among the biggest victims. HBOS slumped 17.5 per cent; Royal Bank of Scotland lost 12.2 per cent. In the US, the Dow Jones industrial average suffered its biggest fall since 9/11.

The collapse effectively began at 6pm last Friday. The place: the offices of the New York Federal Reserve. The occasion: an emergency meeting of the most powerful figures in American banking and finance aimed at staving off a massive bank collapse.

Those who stepped from their limousines to be present included Richard Fuld, the chairman and chief executive of Lehman Brothers; John Mack, the head of Morgan Stanley; Jamie Dimon, of JP Morgan Chase; Vikram Pandit, of Citigroup; Lloyd Blankfein, of Goldman Sachs; Bob Diamond, the head of Barclays Capital; and senior representatives from Mellon Bank and Royal Bank of Scotland.

"We are the biggest overseas bank in America", explained an RBS spokeswoman. "There was an 'all points bulletin' from the Fed and they called us in".

Awaiting them along one side of the boardroom table was the United States Federal Reserve chairman, Ben Bernanke – nicknamed Helicopter Ben for having slashed interest rates and showered Wall Street with money earlier this year to avoid the very disaster that was about to unfold.

Flanking him was Hank Paulson, the US treasury secretary, and Tom Geithner, chairman of the New York Fed. It was Geithner who opened the meeting – and presented Wall Street's finest with the fright of their lives.

Either there was a Wall Street rescue for Lehman, or the investment bank would have to face the consequences. An eerie silence ensued.

(continues)

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/late...-of.4494032.jp
Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

What the hell have you merkins been doing with your banks?????

Huh?

Seriously, peeps, WTF? Who is running these banks, Mr Magoo?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Seriously, peeps, WTF? Who is running these banks, Mr Magoo?
That would be an upgrade.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That's gotta suck.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's the economy, stupid.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Are you serious Bruce? Do you really think it's just 'the economy'?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's the #1 concern of voters right now.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well that's true. It's true in Australia too, and the UK and most other countries with a slumped economy.

What is surprising to me as an outsider, just as Zen alluded to, is that so many major banks have folded in the US. I'd be shit scared if major banks in Australia started folding and we've got a very small economy compared to the US and UK. Fortunately for us we're doing ok so far, but it's early days yet.

I guess what I would find interesting to know is how this could have happened to supposedly strong financial institutions built on a foundation of wise investments.

The story will unfold as time goes on, but there must be some nervous CEO's around the world, including Australia at this most recent collapse.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:24 AM   #9
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Well that's true. It's true in Australia too, and the UK and most other countries with a slumped economy.

What is surprising to me as an outsider, just as Zen alluded to, is that so many major banks have folded in the US. I'd be shit scared if major banks in Australia started folding and we've got a very small economy compared to the US and UK. Fortunately for us we're doing ok so far, but it's early days yet.

I guess what I would find interesting to know is how this could have happened to supposedly strong financial institutions built on a foundation of wise investments.

The story will unfold as time goes on, but there must be some nervous CEO's around the world, including Australia at this most recent collapse.
We need a correction. Some of these banks and big clearing houses are going to have to fold to make things right. It has to be in big part to the housing failures and the depth of the poor loan making.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

I think one of the reasons Lehman didn't find salvation in that meeting was because the Feds wouldn't give the potential buyers the same insurance policy (non-recourse loan) they gave JP Morgan when they bought out Bear Sterns a few months ago.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Sooooo...that means I wont have go take my money out of the bank anytime soon?

What happens if so many banks fail that the FDIC cant insure our money? Or is that even an issue?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Ibby
erika

They're the government. They can prettymuch create money out of thin air. What do you think the deficit is?

Don't worry. They won't run out of money.
The only problem is a while down the road...
when China asks when we're paying them back.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No problem, we'll just find some cheap Chinese print shop to run some off... mo money.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
I think one of the reasons Lehman didn't find salvation in that meeting was because the Feds wouldn't give the potential buyers the same insurance policy (non-recourse loan) they gave JP Morgan when they bought out Bear Sterns a few months ago.
Why not buy Lehman for pennies on the dollar? Appreciate the reason for these meltdowns. In doing due diligence, nobody understands what is inside Lehmans. The spread sheets are so Enron style perverted. Phrases such as black hole and black box are used to describe Lehman. Yes, the government guarantee is necessary because no one knows how bad Lehman Bros really is. Six months later and no one can figure out what Lehman Bros is.

Why have 3 out of 5 investment banks folded? Greed is good. Profits - not the product - are their purpose. In each case, the spread sheets were manipulated using the new Enron style accounting methods. Reported today was being created and was known most of five years ago. What changed? Government regulations for the past seven years have been ignored or relaxed. Lip service has been paid to risk management. Off balance entities are now common on spread sheets - used to hide excessive risk and massive losses from years ago. Even mortgages are written without any consideration for whether the home owner can pay. Even the government entities Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac were encouraging Americans to take on more debt. A game so wildly promoted that even home equity loans became popular.

Why so much debt? Since George Jr took office, income of the average American has dropped 2%. No problem. He will 'feel' wealthier if he can live in a home he cannot afford. So we must eliminate 'evil' regulations that keep him out of that house.

Meanwhile, higher debt also means the rich can get even richer. Only creditors have been getting rich this past decade. A ponzi scheme that is now starting to collapse. Turmoil in the finance industry, if limited to corrupt practices, would not affect other industries. But the underlying problem is fictional wealth created by these money games and masked by Enron style accounting. Enron style accounting is why no one will touch Lehman Bros.

The average American should expect his net worth to drop maybe 20% in these few past and future years as things like houses and equities drop back to what they were really worth and inflation rages when interest rates are cut to "stimulate" the economy. I say 20% - a conservative number. This George Jr economy is was only created by throwing money at the rich. We still have things like "Mission Accomplished" to pay for. The Chinese, et al eventually must be paid for financing the bubble.

Just another example of Living Standards dropping years later due to fiscal mismanagement. After all, Cheney said deficits don't matter (while he enriched Halliburton).

The 1920s stock market crash did not result in job losses in the 1920s. The crash was followed by job losses years later - in the early 1930s. That is the relation between financial markets and the economy. 700+ banks have folded? When did we see so many banks fail so quickly? And why? Answers to those questions should have Americans worried since fiscal mismanagement has been encouraged by one federal government. Hell. They would not even prosecute Enron until embarrassed by the AG from Oklahoma. Let the free market be free?

Nobody knows what is in those Lehman Bros balance sheets. A black box that nobody trusts because perverting the accounting is good.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
What happens if so many banks fail that the FDIC cant insure our money? Or is that even an issue?
FDIC has already quietly gone to the government for a bridge loan. They have already paid out so much on failed banks as to have a liquidity problem.

Bank accounts are insured to $100,000. Investment accounts are insured to $500,000. If you have more than that in any brokerage, and if the brokerage goes as Lehman probably will, then you lose all but the first $500,000.

These are not times to be complacent. You should know this stuff. Stock brokers don’t like it when you limit investments to $one-half million. They have multi-hundred thousand dollar incomes to protect.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote