The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Obama: "I'm ready to negotiate with you, Iran." Iran: "Fuck you."

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...php/boot/53612

Quote:
Echoing the refrain of other Iranian officials, (Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani) said he would be perfectly happy to negotiate with the United States — as long as the U.S. recognized Iran’s right to go nuclear, discontinued its support for Israel, pulled all of its bases out of the Middle East, and apologized for a litany of historical sins ranging from the atomic bombing of Hiroshima to the U.S. role in overthrowing Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadeq in 1953. He even wanted the U.S. to apologize for actions it didn’t commit, such as “encouraging Saddam Hussein to attack Iran.” This led naturally into an anti-Israel diatribe complete with pictures that Larijani held up depicting Palestinian “victims” of Israeli “atrocities.”

Having recited a long litany of America’s supposed sins, Larijani demanded: “Now with a change in tone and a few media postures, do you honestly expect this pain to go away?” If you overlook his sophistry and his mendacity, he actually raises a good point: Why would anyone in the Obama administration expect that Iran will make substantial concessions to us based on nothing more than the new president’s willingness to negotiate?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oooh, get her!
Chip, shoulder, anyone?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

A hope of change and resolution of this conflict with peaceful means. But this looks like the start of WWIII or VI.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
[url]Obama: "I'm ready to negotiate with you, Iran." Iran: "Fuck you."
Meanwhile who is talking and what are they saying in private channels - where actual discussions are conducted without the hyperbole for public consumption.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

OK, this Commentary place...are they mostly conservative or something? Because
Quote:
He even wanted the U.S. to apologize for actions it didn’t commit, such as “encouraging Saddam Hussein to attack Iran.”
just isnt really true, at least depending on who is looking at and writing the history.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
tw

Meanwhile, because the US is not talking with belligerence, the Iranian Reformers are attempting to regain power. Khatami, the former reform President announced a bid for reelection.

The entire reform movement in Iran was devastated when George Jr all but declared war on Iran with his 'axis of evil' threats. For the Iranian reform movement, it has been downhill since. American threats have encouraged all Iranians to support wacko extremists and more military weapons. Iranians did exactly what any people would do when overtly threatened. Remove those threats and Iran may again embrace reformists.

Current Iranian comments come from those extremists who have the same attitude as Cheney. Can Khatami get reelected?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Meanwhile, because the US is not talking with belligerence, the Iranian Reformers are attempting to regain power. Khatami, the former reform President announced a bid for reelection.

The entire reform movement in Iran was devastated when George Jr all but declared war on Iran with his 'axis of evil' threats. For the Iranian reform movement, it has been downhill since. American threats have encouraged all Iranians to support wacko extremists and more military weapons. Iranians did exactly what any people would do when overtly threatened. Remove those threats and Iran may again embrace reformists.

Current Iranian comments come from those extremists who have the same attitude as Cheney. Can Khatami get reelected?
I agree and hope that they (reformists) can regain momentum. The Iranian people really do want a secular government. At least, most of them do.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/wo...11iran.html?hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
After the icy mutual hostility of the Bush era, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran on Tuesday made a conditional offer of dialogue to the Obama administration, saying Tehran was ready for "talks based on mutual respect and in a fair atmosphere."

But he coupled the offer with an attack on former President Bush, calling for him to be "tried and punished" for his policies and actions in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf region.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Someone refresh my memory, why is the neutron bomb frowned upon?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It killed people but not property. It was deemed inhumane. WTF?

Personally I thought it was a great idea.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
tw

Without a wacko extremists for a counterparty, even Iran's Ahmadinejad has conceded to what a responsible leader does. Without threats from Cheney, his position as an elected leader is further threatened by another moderate - Khatami. From the Washington Post of 11 Feb 2009:
Quote:
Iran is ready for dialogue with the United States, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Tuesday, directly addressing the U.S. administration in his most measured remarks to America since President Obama took office.

"The new U.S. government has announced that it wants to create change and follow the path of talks. It's very clear that true changes should be fundamental and not tactical," Ahmadinejad said during a massive rally in Tehran to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Islamic revolution that overthrew the U.S.-backed shah of Iran.

"These talks should be held in a fair atmosphere in which there is mutual respect," he added. ...

Ahmadinejad's overtures are made under tight supervision by Iran's other leaders, analysts say. "When he speaks, he does so with the approval of the Supreme National Security Council," a group that includes representatives of the country's religious, military and other power centers, said Mohammad Marandi, head of the North American studies department at the University of Tehran.

"They will decide if Iran will really deal with the United States," Marandi said. "It's the United States that should send signals first. They need Iran more than we need them," he added. "Iran can help the U.S. in Iraq, Afghanistan. Pakistan is unraveling, Iran also wants security and stability in those nations. The fact that they now work separately makes it impossible to get things done."
George Jr did Cheney's bidding. Amadinejad answers to his supreme council of neocon clerics. But simply remove a neocon extremist and suddenly something, always necessary for peace, is possible. Talking.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
It killed people but not property. It was deemed inhumane. WTF?

Personally I thought it was a great idea.
Me too. Especially since the half life of Tritium is about 12 years. Pretty clean environment in a couple of decades. After reading a wiki article on it there was this ominous quote:
"One significant drawback of the weapon is that not all targeted troops will die or be incapacitated immediately. After a brief bout of nausea, many of those hit with about 5-50 Sv of radiation will experience a temporary recovery (the latent or "walking ghost phase"[12]) lasting days to weeks. Moreover, these victims would likely be aware of their inevitable fate and react accordingly."
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Me too. Especially since the half life of Tritium is about 12 years. Pretty clean environment in a couple of decades. After reading a wiki article on it there was this ominous quote:
"One significant drawback of the weapon is that not all targeted troops will die or be incapacitated immediately. After a brief bout of nausea, many of those hit with about 5-50 Sv of radiation will experience a temporary recovery (the latent or "walking ghost phase"[12]) lasting days to weeks. Moreover, these victims would likely be aware of their inevitable fate and react accordingly."
Walking ghost phase?
So...they turn into zombies and start killing indescrimnately?
OMG, my worst nightmare. *shudders* I hate zombies.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/wo...11iran.html?hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
After the icy mutual hostility of the Bush era, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran on Tuesday made a conditional offer of dialogue to the Obama administration, saying Tehran was ready for "talks based on mutual respect and in a fair atmosphere."

But he coupled the offer with an attack on former President Bush, calling for him to be "tried and punished" for his policies and actions in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf region.
I agree with that. In fact, I think Bush should be investigated and tried for war crimes, among other things.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote