The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

An opportunity to shine the guillotines.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ngs-in-january

U.S. Senators Sold Stock After Coronavirus Briefings in January

Look, this is our chance both parties are in on it and the peasants aren't working anyway.

As someone whose retirement date just went out over the horizon, I'd like a piece of Burr, Feinstein, Loeffler, and Inhofe.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They gotta go
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
glatt

I think you gotta look at their normal buying and selling patterns before you judge them.

If they have been holding stock for 20 years and then sell immediately after the briefing, then yeah, sure. But if they are normally doing a lot of buying and selling, then I wouldn't hold it so much against them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Thing is if they do a lot of buying and selling and it lines up with receiving inside information it's actually much worse.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

One of em literally never sold any stock at all before this
Old 03-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Are you referring to Loeffler? The article only says she hadn't sold any stock in the prior few weeks.

The timing of the sales, immediately after the briefing, is certainly suspicious, but the mention that she hadn't sold stock earlier that month seems unnecessary.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Happy Monkey

via
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post

Jan. 24: The Senate Health Committee, on which Loeffler sits, holds the private, all-senators briefing featuring top health officials.

Jan. 24-Feb. 14: Loeffler sells stocks jointly owned with her husband worth between $1,275,000 and $3,100,000.

Feb. 12: The Dow Jones industrial average closes at its highest-ever point.

Feb. 14: Loeffler buys stock in Citrix, a company that provides web-based services including teleconferencing, and Oracle.
Specifically buying teleconferencing stock is also suspicious.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Time will tell whether it's true, but Loeffler in particular said that her assets are in a managed portfolio that she has no input in, and this could definitely be the case. Our retirement is in a similar program (because we believe in outsourcing to experts) and I can say that someone running that thing definitely saw this coming, based only on reports out of China and without the benefit of Congressional closed-door meetings. I get an email every time they make a trade, and back in early Feb. they got out of a bunch of general funds and got into specific things like Coca-Cola stock and other basic-needs type companies. It's possible her situation is similar.

That being said, it is unconscionable in and of itself to publically toe the line and claim that everything was fine when they knew from closed-door meetings that it was not. Profiting off it is worse, but it's unethical not to have spoken out, period.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thinking about it, the other aspect to this is, nobody predicted the sell-off.

There's an awful lot of hindsight for everything in this situation, as if all the outcomes would have been predictable, but really they weren't.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
Happy Monkey

Inhofe and Feinstein also say they have no direct input on asset management. Feinstein has a blind trust, and Inhofe says he gave instructions to go into mutual funds instead of stocks when he gained his position, and gives no other instruction to his adviser.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
Happy Monkey

Burr's defense (same link):
Quote:
A spokesperson for the senator told CBS News in a statement that Burr "filed a financial disclosure form for personal transactions made several weeks before the U.S. and financial markets showed signs of volatility due to the growing coronavirus outbreak
Yes... isn't that the problem?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Insider trading is secondary. Back then, the 'powers that be' knew this was coming in January. Said nothing. Downplayed it. And so well knew the seriousness of this problem as to also profit by selling stocks. Number one fact - they knew and could not bother to protect American lives.

For over two months, people who are suppose to work for Americans, instead, stifled and subverted facts. They only shared knowledge with close campaign supporters. Just like any good communist would do. Since the purpose of communism is to enrich the central committee of the party. Screw everyone else - a Trump philosophy.

This threat was so obvious that I bought face masks back in the beginning of January. Even then, face makes (except the $20 versions) were in short supply. Because people who learn from facts rather than wait to be ordered how to think (an extremist) could see this impending threat.

But they did not have professionals telling them how much worse it would be. We know the scumbag president (who lies to advance himself) would have been informed. Apparently he was blocking (subverting) facts. That information might harm his reelection. Using his 30 second attention span, he subverted any government action to prepare until, it appears, March 12.

That is what the insider trading really says. Facts were known - subverted and withheld - by people who knew. Senator Burr is chairman of the intelligence committee. Intelligence community believed it was coming. People who also said Russian are working to get Trump reelected. And are also criticized by the scumbag for telling us truths - that the wacko extremist Trump and his supported want withheld from us.

Had his attention span been more than 30 seconds, then he might have made a different conclusion months previously. He knew. And only made this problems worse - since he only works to advance himself.

Which also explains why he made money on companies that never made a profit.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
This threat was so obvious that I bought face masks back in the beginning of January.
Beginning of January! That's amazing since the first Chinese death from it was January 11 and WHO didn't declare it a global health emergency until Jan 30

And your first post on the virus was 2/28. Failed to warn your Cellar friends with your enormous prescience on the topic!

And you say you nabbed a few masks before health professionals could get them, knowing they were in short supply and knowing they would be needed?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
That's amazing since the first Chinese death from it was January 11
This disease was detected in December. By January, the speed of a contagion was that obvious.

We also do not know when first deaths occurred. Back then, Chinese top officials were downplaying everything. Even refused to provide details to the WHO. So even today, they are not going to admit when first deaths occurred. They even arrested doctors who accurately reported this threat. We really do not know when the first victims died. You should have known that.

But then I was also not brainwashed by liars who said Saddam had WMDs. And did not stick to that lie even after George Jr admitted it was a lie. I learned facts. Stated them this bluntly and repeatedly even long before 'Shock 'n Awe'. As every Cellar dwellar of that time knows. I also knew this was potentially as bad and maybe worse than Sars.

If I got anything wrong, it was a belief that it would be here maybe in February. And was warning other in February. Well, it may have. But, due to so many Americans who love a lying president, then we had no means of testing for and reporting the numbers. Just another reason why honest people openly criticize that scumbag president.

It again comes down to the emotional who believe lies verses others who first learn facts.

Emotion also said Fukushima nuclear reactors were not in meltdown when facts clearly said a meltdown was ongoing in at least two reactors. I also remember that emotionally based denial when facts back then were, what we all now know, were accurate.

A person who uses facts before making a decision bought face masks back in January. Even back then, the shelves were almost bare. That many others, who learn from facts, apparently saw what was coming. A week or so later, top government people were telling their close supporters who could then enrich themselves. Facts said so. A diehard Trump supporter would still deny facts.

We can thank governors and big city mayors for taking charge in the vacuum created by Trump and his 'in denial' supporters.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
If I got anything wrong, it was a belief that it would be here maybe in February. And was warning other in February.
Warning others - but not us!!

Here's a good timeline, in case you want to get your bullshitting back on track.

It became a national news story on 2/1