The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Maybe you should install a coin-operated shower (like the quarter car wash).

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

lol

Can you put a timer on a shower head? :p
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They certainly used to have them on camp sites! You bought credits at the camp shop and got a finite amount of time.
Me, Mum & my sister used to take turns, Dad and my brother (he was young enough to actually share) in the other one.

Thing is, it was a luxury. Most Brits didn't have showers in those days, certainly not people who went camping on holiday. And then (as now) the showers at home were never as powerful as the camp ones. Just a shame your sister was outside counting down how much time you has left and you were facing a chilly walk back to the tent...
Old 10-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
And then (as now) the showers at home were never as powerful as the camp ones.
Yeah, what is it with English showers? The worst shower I ever had in my life was in an apartment in Eaton. The water pressure was barely enough for the water to make it up to the shower head, where it then dribbled out. Are the pipes in England so old they have to dial down the pressure to keep them from rupturing?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I honestly don't know.

Some places are just fine. But here (in this house) and at my parents', the water pressure is too low to wash the fallen-out hairs off my body when I wash my hair. I am constantly twitching and fidgeting from the itchy sensation of them, until I locate them and take them off manually.

There's something to be said for baths!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #21
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

10 minutes max! They're boys! They don't have really long hair to wash or legs to shave.... Get in, get clean, get out.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

We took the lock off of the bathroom door. You're in the shower too long, you might have company in the bathroom. It was necessary when we had five showerers in our one bath home, now we're down to three showerers for the one bathroom. Didn't see the need to reinstall the lock.

When the mental timer goes off, I go in and say time to get out. Most of the time, he's already out and towelling himself dry. Time? 15 mins minimum.

I can shower quickly, but usually take 10-15 minutes. After a camping weekend they're longer. I'm dirtier, but that's not the reason they're longer, it's really just luxuriating in the hot water. Tink's fast in the shower all the time.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #23
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

2-3 minutes if I'm in a tear-ass hurry. 10-15 if I'm relaxing. 20-25 if "extra" activities are taking place.

My girlfriend and I often shower together. That takes about 30 minutes unless we get distracted.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #24
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Hmm... I must be slow... I usually take twenty minutes unless I'm shaving in which case it's closer to thirty minutes. I CAN do it in ten minutes if I HAVE to, but that's... highly unusual.
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #25
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

20 min max, 15 is more appropriate. We had an 80 gallon hot water tank because when the house was built we had 5 here. Now we are down to 3. It is not so much an issue anymore as my big worry was the electric bill but we beat that as well with the installation of a hot water reclamation device that passively gets heated water from the air conditioner, so in the summer time the cost of heating the water is nil. In the winter it is a different story as the heat exchanger does not work so well in the cold. Now the wasting of water is a different subject entirely. It really is wasteful. We were amazed that in the UK, most of the people we know and met, rarely take showers. The bath is the key, and in some places they even share the water. Sounds a bit gross to me but I am not going to question it that much. Water is going to be the new resource to gain in importance in the near future. Esp down in the South and hotter regions of the West and Mid West.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #26
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

In the summer , 10- 15 minets , in the winter closer to 25 ish
thats in the morning
If I get home Nasty from work , well as long as it takes ,
And Carol Still has to 409 the Back of my elbows !!!

Worst shower was in Oki Jap , No hot water in the Whole Quansit hut , we lived with it till the Maint dude asked why we had turned Off the hot water , Off ?? Its Soo hot and Humid we diddnt even notice !!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Bloody good for you Merc (re the reclamation device)
Another reason to love the Cellar - it's a racist stereotype myth buster (Merkins are often portrayed as globally conscience-less)

BTW everyone I know showers. Every day.
When I lived with HM I was really annoyed that I couldn't use the shower (because it leaked into the living room) and had to bath. I love baths, but they're not ecologically sound. Then again I bathed every other day and had a whore's wash on the other, so it probably balanced out
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

This touches one of my sore nerves.

I love long hot showers.

My country is in a prolonged dry spell/drought. We are supposed to be saving water.

The govt. is pushing a 4 minute shower target. I'm lucky to be done in 10, but if I could it'd be 30. I make up for it by not showering everyday, at least in winter or if I am otherwise feeling pretty fresh.

I love the Japanese style hot springs (onsens) especially with an outdoor bath. Wash and rinse spotlessly clean under the shower first, then, into the giant tub and rellllaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Try not to drown.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #29
Cloud

at least when they're in the shower you know where they are and what they are doing.

in the abstract.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #30
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Ha! Not with my guys. D started taking a shower on his own everynight when he started getting interested in girls. G is a water baby, he loves it for its own self.
Oh I hear you. my 7 year old would play in there forever.

- - - -

Brit plumbing is completely different from American stuff, and Brit culture is to be much more conservative with utilities. This leads to crap showers, unless you pay a fair whack for an electric one.

Water pressure is mostly derived through natural gravity and is generally much lower than here, or at least seems to be by the time it makes it out of the tap (faucet). The good side of that is power cuts don't mean your water is unsafe to drink. the bad side is that the showers are crap. Those who do store hot water have tiny tanks upstairs (not in the basement, it'd never make it upstairs and most houses don't have basements....)

On the plus side, at least Brits have reasonable sized bath tubs, ones you can really lounge about and have sex in without accidentally inserting something up the tap

However, I am a shower person and I think that would be one of the hardest things to deal with if we ever had to move back.