The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #16
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

emmmm..... not ure of the current exchange rate.... but for about 100K sterling the Bentley GT Continental is a bargain.

Failing that, the Mazda Rx8 at 20K sterling is a bargain...
Old 08-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

oh....my....dog. I WILL have an R36. Oh, yes! It will be mine

I'm barely restraining myself from buying a GTI right now. I don't think I can resist that lil blue devil.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #18
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

you are weak-willed.... hold out for the mazda or bentley....
Old 08-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
For the record, it (the hemi Commander) didn't seem much faster than my 4.7L V8 Laredo... but I culd really use that extra row of seats.
The Laredo is about 500 lbs lighter.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #20
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I'll have a vintage chassis off restoration. One of the late 60's - early 70's model muscle car. I miss hot rodding.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #21
maninthebox
eats paste

Yeah, the SRT Cherokee can out run a regular ol Vette 0-60 supposedly. There's tons of cars out there I like though. I really don't think I could narrow it down to one.
maninthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:54 PM   #22
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthebox
Nice Vette Hoof! Have you done any work to it?
Have we done any work to it? He-he-heh! Oh yeah!

We have had this 78 Silver Anniversary for 17 years. It has about 250,000 miles on it. We had the rear end (pumpkin gears, stock) rebuilt about 12 years ago. I replaced the original engine (catastrophic failure) with a 4-bolt main GM crate engine in 1997. Two years ago the timing chain had some slack and when I romped on it I sucked a valve and the valve dented the piston. We bought new heads and did the installation ourselves. Still had trouble getting it to run right and decided to do a complete tear down and discovered the cam had also been bent. Transmission (auto) is factory original with all 250k miles on it!

We sent the block and manifold to the machine shop and brought it home and did the rebuild ourselves in the garage. It was great fun doing it ourselves and especially for me, being able to actually see inside and how everything worked together. I even turned the torque wrench a time or two! We are very happy with our results. When we tore it down the second time we upgraded the cam. It isn't lope-y, but it did give me more low-end torque, which is what I like.

But...if we had to do it all over again...we'd spend the money on a GM crate engine with hp/torque and a warranty.

It also has dual chambered (no "mufflers") exhaust. Sounds niiiice!
hh
Old 08-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #23
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

I used to love being hands on with engines, transmisions and all the mechanicals...... hell, we thought nothing of going down to the local scrappy, taking out an engine from a low mileage crash and replacing it in our own car..... a mere mornings work, and then to the pub for a liquid lunch. But, sometime in the 80's the auto'makers went all defensive and 'black boxed' everything. I looked under the bonnet(hood to some of you) of the current wife's 2004 Hyundai. Plastic covers evwerwhere..... could'nt even see the engine block. Oh well, time to hang up the spanners...
Old 08-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're right, Jay. Do-it-yourself repairs, or just plain tinkering, is getting impossible with out special equipment that's usually more valuable than the car. Of course that complexity has given us cars making unprecedented power, clean exhaust and efficiency, from the same displacement.

I guess the best bet is a newer car for a daily driver and an old car for tinkering.... hobby car. That could take the form of a restoration, racer, show car, hot rod, custom or whatever blows your skirt up.

It's a lot more fun to tinker on Sunday afternoon without the pressure of having to drive it to work on Monday morning.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #25
headsplice
Relaxed

People don't like Fords? What about the GT? That's a nice lookin' auto.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #26
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I would love to drive a Lamborghini, but for a car to buy I would buy a Honda Element and paint it pink...then get a vanity plate that says PNKLMNT. Awesome, eh?

I would also love a rough and tumble Jeep Wrangler.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #27
maninthebox
eats paste

Dang Hoof, sounds like alot of work in that car. I had a few project cars, but really never did anything major to them. Had a '93 Dodge Shadow once that my buddy and I swapped out the crappy 3 speed auto to a five speed manual. Installed Mopar performance struts up front, and good Monroe shocks in the back. Did a little engine work, cut off the cats and installed a straight through exhaust. Interior? Who needed it. Took most of it out!
The little sucker was like a go-cart. Civics had nothing and Mustangs couldn't keep up. Well, around turns anyway! haha After that, was into the turboed Dodges, but never really did much to them.
maninthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #28
lulu
with karate i'll kick your ass

The 2007 Audi S8
Old 08-28-2006, 05:16 AM   #29
Hagar
Master of the Domain

maybe not this one, but some sort of Aero engined, junkyard special.....

...amd then the flying helmet and scarf!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #30
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar
...and then the flying helmet and scarf!
Do not forget the GOGGLES!
I'm envisioning Snoopy; leather helmet, goggles and flowing scarf over the shoulder...