The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Laptop Problem

A friend of mine bought a used Toshiba L755 500HD 4RM Windows 10 from a guy. She couldn't get any sound out of it so she took it back. He tried it and it worked fine, so he showed her what to click on to get sound. She took it home and no sound. Took it back again and it worked fine so her showed her again probably thinking she was a dumb cunt, but she was doing exactly what he did.

Turns out at home she only used it plugged in, and he was testing it only on battery. Anybody ever hear of this, or know why that would happen?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
glatt

I don't know about windows 10, but in previous versions you could manage the power consumption by disabling certain functions and turning down the screen brightness or whatever depending on if it is plugged in or not. Save battery power that way. Normally, you would set it up to function more when plugged in, but if somebody was screwing around with the power settings they might have chosen some strange settings.

I don't know how to get to that menu under Windows 10.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Crazy question - plugged in to a dock?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't know, I assume a charger plugged into the wall, I doubt she has a dock. She's not gaget blessed/cursed.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Probably. But that's the first thing that came to mind; docks can be very small now*, and might have come with the laptop. She may have just left the dock on a table, plugged in, and always used the laptop there. If so, the dock appears to the laptop as headphones, and the audio would be routed to the headphone jack on the dock, rather than the laptop speaker.

If there's no dock, then Glatt's suggestion is the likely culprit, though, as he says, it would be an extremely unusual power saving mode that turned something off when there was power.

[eta] * Laptop power cables already come in two parts (wall-brick & brick-laptop); she may consider the dock to be part 3.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The power saving configurations are intended primarily for battery operation.

If she uses it for telephone calls at home, WIN10 has a user option to automatically mute all other computer sounds whenever audio activity is detected.

She could always try running the WIN10 Audio Troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...sound-problems
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 AM   #7
James77
Kinda New Member

That is really weird. I would understand if it was the other way around... The sound card or mini-jack port might be damaged. You better ask someone with more experience in fixing computers to take a look at it.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote