The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They're better than smoking tobacco and an excellent alternative for smokers that can't quite quit. My brother has been doing the e-butts for a couple years and can't quite make the final leap from this $50 a month habit.

Seems to me Jenny is pushing the, this shit won't hurt you so with these you can be one of us cool people too.

I quit last May, after 56 years of the Camel/Marlboro habit. There were occasions where smoke would burn my eyes, or ashes burn my clothes, and I'd get fits of heavy coughing if I had a cold. But even so, for the most part I really enjoyed smoking.

I quit cold turkey, I had 73 packs on hand for months then gave them away. I don't miss the nicotine very much, but sorely miss the social benefits. They let me know when I was done eating so I wouldn't keep nibbling. They gave me something to do waiting for a download, or when I had some time to kill. there are a lot of little shit like that I miss...

besides making me look cool rolled up in my tee shirt sleeve.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
...I quit cold turkey...
That's the path I took... told everyone the date I was going to quit,
... and then had to live up to the promise or face ridicule.

Oh, and I also grew a beard... something to play with to occupy my hands while driving, etc.
... still have the beard and still don't smoke
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
Pamela
Deplorable

I, too, quit cold turkey. I was quite a bitch for a month or so. But I had to.

It was time to begin hormones. I was basically remaking myself and fashioning a whole new life and I decided that Pamela would NOT be a smoker. Plus, my endo told me that each cig would be a one in three chance of stroking out due to the vasoconstrictive nature of cigs and the blood clotting/thickening nature of high-dose estrogen.
In addition, cigs were getting to be seven bucks a pack and my income was restricted.

Now, I counsel other young girls on quitting but few like what I tell them on how.

Just quit. Do not make excuses like "I'll just finish this carton." or pack. Shame to "waste" money on smokes that will just be thrown ut or gifted to someone else. We all have said that to ourselves. Including me. Do not try to drag out the misery with gums or patches or e-cigs. Just suck it up for a month. That's how long the physical addiction takes to break. That's ALL!

The psychological addiction can take years, and some never break that one. I am told by those who know that heroin is easier to kick than tobacco. I tried everything, including hypnosis. Got my money back on that one when it turns out that I cannot be tranced. The rest only prolonged the misery. My last attempt, I just dumped the pack in the trash and refused to buy more, no matter WHAT the devil on my shoulder said.

It has been over four years now and not even once have I weakened. I know just what XOB means about the social aspects too. I still take "smoke breaks" sometimes. I just don't smoke. I also am not one of those obnoxious quitters who annoy smokers by nagging them. It's YOUR body, YOU know what they do to it, it's YOUR choice. I made mine. I know what it is to smoke and I know what quitting is too. And I still feel proud of myself every time I say "I fon't smoke!" Like at my hotel/home. They kept giving me a smoking room because those are harder to rent out than nonsmoking rooms. I told them I didn't mind the smell because I was reformed. I don't even think I have seriously felt the urge after the first year or so.

Also, once you quit, STAY quit. Do NOT have "just one". One leads to two, which leads to three, which leads to "just one pack" which means 20 before you can quit again since it's a shame to waste them....etc. Been there, done that. 26 years on the cowboy killers was enough for me, thank you.

I am STILL a quitter and damn proud of it.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
I also am not one of those obnoxious quitters who annoy smokers by nagging them.
Those fuckers get to share a level of hell with people who buy greeting cards with glitter on them.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Gravdigr, are you old enough to remember when smokes were a dollar a pack?
I would think so. I turn 46 this summer. Or were you just straight calling me a liar?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Those fuckers get to share a level of hell with people who buy greeting cards with glitter on them.
I hate glitter. Unless it's on a stripper. Then again, I don't have strippers in my house. That's pretty much where the glitter-hatin comes into play.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There are certain people who I can guaranty will send glitter cards... if I'm on the ball, I open theirs outside.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Smoking is my only shot at early retirement.