The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Tomorrow is another day."

I had a boss who would say that every single night. We would leave the office together, and as we'd be getting into our cars, as a way of saying goodbye, he'd say "Well, tomorrow is another day. See ya."

This is one of those statements that you make that, when logically analyzed, means nothing at all. Yes, by its very definition, tomorrow, not being today, is another day. We could not say "Tomorrow is the same day. See ya."

Unless we were Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

The only other similar phrase that comes to mind is "It is what it is," which seems to have gained popularity amongst people I come into contact with, over the last decade. "It is what it is" is even more a statement of nothing at all.

Although... maybe I've underestimated this. Maybe it's a sincere attack on nihilism, or a recognition of basic logic. A=A, Ayn Rand would remind us, and then use that as the leaping-off point for just about any other philosophical meandering.

It is what it is: hence, tomorrow is another day.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
glatt

Context is important. Those phrases mean nothing, but in context, they can mean a lot. "Tomorrow is another day" can mean you get to pull out the eraser and erase the chalkboard to start over again tomorrow. There may be a ghost of an image here and there to remind you of yesterday, but tomorrow is a chance at a new start.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Word for the day: Tautology

My philosophy professor in college gave the example of his GF telling him "You shouldn't over cook the fish." Implicit in the phrase, over cook, is the the injunction against doing that, hence shouldn't.

There are other examples in the link.

In the meantime, keep on keepin' on.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think they're both just part of a larger set of colloquialisms we use to remind ourselves to not sweat the small stuff, to realize that which does not kill you makes you stronger, that where there's life, there's hope (that one always made me laugh.)

We tell ourselves there's always tomorrow, the sun will come out tomorrow, and tomorrow is another day. So are Tuesday and Wednesday. But frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

I'm off to face the world with my eternal optimism, wearing my rose-colored glasses, to boldly go where no man has gone before...not since yesterday, to stop and smell the roses that would, by any other name, still smell as sweet.

It's all in a day's work, and at the end of the day (I REALLY wish people would stop using that one), everything's coming up roses.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Unless we were Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.
Or, unless we're Gravdigr, in Kentucky.

Should be "Tomorrow is just another day.".

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

'It is what it is' is a phrase I use often. It's a bit like saying 'that's just the way it is', and it also means that you can only deal with what it is, not what you would like it to be. And sometimes it means, 'it's ok, no biggie'.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Well, I'll see ya when I see ya; 'cause, it ain't over till it's over.

And that's that.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

I think "tomorrow is another day" is a nice workaday version of the old classic "this too shall pass." If you had a good day, that's swell and all, but you still have to plan for tomorrow. And if you had a crappy day, that sucks, but tomorrow you get to take another pass at it.

"It is what it is" is harder to defend. But the kernel of it which I appreciate is: you have to accept the basic facts of the situation you're in. You can try all the different dressings you want, but if your lettuce is rotting you'll never have a good salad.

I also appreciate that prhase in the way Dana mentioned, i.e. with the unstated preface: "I would prefer this were not the case, but it is what it is."
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Well, I'll see ya when I see ya; 'cause, it ain't over till it's over.

And that's that.
"I'll see you in the future." Is one that sounds not only lazy but affected. I always treat them with:

And if I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Imagine it. 1939. Two major movies that would have longevity came out.

One: There's no place like home

Two: After all, tomorrow is another day

It's like there weren't spaceships or car crashes or vampires and everyone is so oblivious.

Meh
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

"tomorrow is another day" is dumb, but que sera, sera.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Whatever.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

When you're hot, you're hot; when you're not, you're not. [/Flip Wilson]
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

[/JerryReed]

Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

sexobon age reference noted
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote