The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mar 22nd, 2016: A Good Egg

As we bear down on an early Easter, thoughts turn family holiday diners, candy treats, and Peeps.
Family holiday diners, which start with fond memories and high hopes... turn to crap.
Gaily decorated baskets of candy and treats, turn to tummy aches... then turn to crap.
Peeps… well they don’t turn at all, because they are crap.
And of course Easter Eggs.
Not the kind nerds/geeks leave in electronic programs for their kind to titter over twitter about.
Nope, real bird eggs dyed or painted, to be gifted or hidden by the Easter Bunny.

In Eastern Europe, Easter Eggs are serious business, producing real works of art to be given as gifts.
The Russian Czar, being Eastern European, having a couple of bucks, and being too lazy for
that tedious egg painting, hired somebody to do it for him... a guy named Fabergé.

1885 in Russia…And You, Are There…[/Cronkite]
Alexander: Fab baby, whip up an egg for Czarina, I need that, man, or she’ll be all over my shit.
Fabergé : OK Alexander, but I’m no shopkeeper, this’ll cost you big time.
Alexander: I don’t care, without it I’ll get no punani till the Reindeer come home… Oh, and call me Al.

Quote:
Following instructions from the Emperor himself, Fabergé designed a beautiful white enamel egg
that looked like a real egg, but when opened, revealed a golden yolk inside. Within the yolk
was a golden hen, and concealed within the hen was a diamond miniature of the royal crown and
a tiny ruby egg. Empress Maria was so delighted by the gift that Alexander appointed Fabergé
a "goldsmith by special appointment to the Imperial Crown" and instructed him to create
a new Easter egg every year, and a tradition was born.
Each year the eggs got more elaborate(expensive), with Fabergé and his unindicted co-conspirators
working in complete secrecy for several months every year.

In my youth it was hard boiled(mostly) chicken eggs, with a couple of excursions into blown egg shells.
They were dyed with food coloring or store bought RIT egg dye kits whose tablets didn't want to dissolve.
The kits had the wire thing to hold the egg while you accumulated extensive knowledge of what
color combinations resulted in the most disgusting, unappetizing colors.

In the mid '70s wife 2.0 and I went to my folks for Easter. On arrival, my mother announced she had
boiled the eggs, and It was my job to color them. Sure Mom, there's nothing I'd love more after working
all day then driving 300 miles through constipated NJ/NY/CT holiday traffic.
Turned out the eggs were hard boiled... except the yolks. We brought them home with us where Moi
got a brilliant idea. Peel off the hideous shells and pop the yolky eggs into our newly acquired microwave
for a couple minutes. Worked like a charm, looked good, nice and warm, except when I bit into it that
sumbitch went off like a roadside bomb. Accelerated microwave learning curve.
Sigh, at least there was no Peeps.
LINK
Old 03-22-2016, 04:41 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The miniature egg and the ruby crown will be down the back of the sofa I bet.
When I lived with Mum & Dad and was down to my my pennies, I'd always search my Dad's armchair as he kept his loose change in his trouser pockets. It wasn't the same as stealing it. In my mind.

Funnily enough, he kept his family jewels in there too. I hope for his sake they never slipped out! I certainly didn't find them. Urgh.

I blew six eggs for the twins this year. They were on sale because they were about to pass their sell-by date. That plus a cheapo decorating kit, all sent through the post as an exciting prize.
Have I heard anything back? Got a thank you? As if.
They're not old enough to want trainers or mobile phones, so I thought it would be fun. Guess I'm an old dinosaur now
Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

About 15 years ago I had the great good fortune to visit a Faberge exhibit at the Portland Art Museum. It was focused on the exquisite gemstone animals Faberge produced, but there were two Imperial eggs there. Sadly, my favorite EVER Faberge critter, a snake on a hunk of turquoise, was not included. I remember one of the eggs had a miniature of a palace, all in gold, that included not just the tree-lined driveway to the building but freakin' WINDOWSILLS. All made before electricity was widely available in Russia.

And then there's this story, which was skimmed over in a documentary I just saw: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/world/...-imperial-egg/

Can you imagine how hard it must've been for the poor fella not to wet himself???
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I didn't see anything at the link to indicate he didn't.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A Good Egg

I am disappoint...I was expecting Carruthers.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

haggis!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

^WSS^
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote