The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Another school shooting

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15105305/?GT1=8618

Has the entire world lost its ever-lovin' mind?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A tragedy, but how many millions of schools are there? and billions of people?
I hardly think this isolated incident indicates the "World" has lost it's mind. That said, I'm sure there are thousands of wackos out there capable of the same thing.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I saw that! I mean, it's amish country for goodness sake! they don't bother anyone!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Shawnee123

Sept 14th: man kills one and wounds at least 20 (some severely) in shooting in a college in Montreal

Sept 29th: student kills principal in Cazenovia WI

Sept 21st: 3 students charged with conspiracy to commit homicide for allegedly planning to attack their school with guns and bombs in Green Bay, WI

Sept 27: man kills 16 year old girl after holding six girls hostage and sexually assaulting them in a school in Bailey, CO

Today: at least six killed in a shooting in an Amish school in Lancaster PA

I realize this is hardly a dent in the millions of schools and billions of people, but I don't remember a trend quite like this one. Are you saying it's just getting more press?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Are you saying it's just getting more press?
It is precisely because it gets so much press that it happens as often as it does. When people come to believe the only way they can touch the world they see on TV and online, the same world that seems to ignore them totally in real life, this can be the result.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Funny - none stabbed or beaten to death, poisoned or starved. The second ammendment rules!

If every student, teacher and administrator had beened armed, these things would never have happened.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Funny - none stabbed or beaten to death, poisoned or starved. The second ammendment rules!

If every student, teacher and administrator had beened armed, these things would never have happened.
It would be just as illegal for all minor students to be armed as it was for the perps in these cases.

But teachers and administrators who have students under their care and protection in loco parentis (and who are legally able themselves; convicted felons and ex-mental patients with teaching licences need not apply) should certainly consider it; they have a duty to their charges to protect them.

Of course the painfully liberal NEA wouldn't hear of that...

And what makes you say no students were stabbed or beaten to death? I think it's certain that quite a few were during the interval in question...but they seem to get different treatement in the press somehow. The same way that an aircraft crash with two fatalities gets vastly more coverage than an automobile crash with the same mortality, I suppose, which is much more charitable than inferring a political motivation from a liberal press.

Last edited by MaggieL; 10-02-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

A mass school stabbing would get just as much press
Old 10-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Shawnee123

I think it would be harder to kill a large number of people if you were armed with only knives, sticks, and rocks.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Gun prohibition would be no different than alcohol prohibition anyway. If you make it illegal you'll just drive it underground and create cartels.

Besides, it's in the constitution, rewrite it if you have a problem.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Shawnee123

9th, are you off your meds again?

"Rewrite it if you have a problem"? Testy much?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #12
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Testy? Absolutly. I've been working 13 hour days for the past two weeks including weekends. September/October is hell for students anyway and taking 20 credits doesn't help matters. Temper tends to go short on 5 hours of sleep.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
Shawnee123

I KNOW about these months for student, I'm an administrator who gets to deal with them. Working those hours when the students are yelling at you because they turned in their paperwork WAY late doesn't help either. Working so hard trying to help those students doesn't help either. Nor does finding out the guy you moved in with, who used up all your money so that you are so deep in debt that you have to declare bankruptcy, is calling his ex-girlfriend who he previously hated doesn't help either. Having a car that needs brakes so badly you're afraid to drive it doesn't help either. Trying to figure out how you're going to afford to move out, pay an atty to declare bankruptcy, get your car fixed, and find a way to live doesn't help. Needing glasses and dental work that there's no way you can afford doesn't help.

So, I'm testy too. Perhaps we should just agree to disagree and get on with it.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #14
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
I think it would be harder to kill a large number of people if you were armed with only knives, sticks, and rocks.
It's much easier to kill any number of people if they've been disarmed than otherwise. Disarming a victim is ever so much easier than disarming a perp...victims usually don't break laws. Even less likely to be a criminal is a legally armed citizen; they prefer to keep their licences.

Since schools and universities are garanteed to be victim disarmament zones, they attract perps who are comitting suicide-by-cop but want to take a significant number of victims with them. This also applies to post offices and many factories.

Last edited by MaggieL; 10-02-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Even less likely to be a criminal is a legally armed citizen; they prefer to keep their licences.
Are you saying that I, a citizen who is not armed, am MORE likely to be a criminal than you, who are legally armed? Because you're "legally armed"? That makes you...more law abiding than me? Based on what?

I call bull shit.