The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Sick of "Hate Crime" Being Used

All crime is a hate crime.
Racism does not make one crime worse than another.
It makes the murder of someone who was not called a name less of a crime?
How stupid is this!?
The reason does not matter, that a crime was committed; assault, battery, theft, it does not matter as long as it is punished the same regardless of what was said during the crime.
It should not be a crime to be a racist, only to act upon it.
This is a free country and needs to remain so.
We need to use a little reason and get rid of this ignorance... the ignorance of hate crime law.

The facts of the crime should be the only determinant of punishment.
Saying that punching someone is a felony because you were wearing a hood tells family B who's father was mugged and was not called a name that the government cares less about him and his family than family A because of their minority status... THAT is a crime.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 03-12-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I agree with you on this one rzen ... "hate crime" is a term without meaning.

Has any non-white person been charged with a hate crime, either of a white person or of someone of another racial group than their own?

I'm thinking that this is a "no," despite there having been several cases in which it was clearly indicated.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

yuppers..by which I mean, none classified that way as far as I know. then again, we are the 'white devil' and the cause of all wrongs on the planet. .don't you remember? geez.

no no.. really the whole 'hate crime legislation' thing is as I see it a way to make people 'feel more secure' and that their government is 'doing something' about making this a better world to live in rather than just as a talking point. it's bullshit, just like the banning of the N word.. removing the word or outlawing it doesn't remove the sentiment behind it, if anything like a rebellious teenager it will only end up giving the word and the ideals behind it more power. and aside from that.. if one more person tells me I don't know what it's like to live in the ghetto (and I'll go on a tirade about this at some point.. in this neck of the woods and the general socio-economic 'bracket' most of these people live in... fuck that! they've never gone to bed hungry.. ) anywhoo! I'll have to regail them with the tales of why my Polish ancestors fled poland and the real ghettos. don't see anyone walling you in.. don't see anyone shooting you if you try to leave.. anyway.. kind of a sore point. and aside from that I have lived in some shitty shitty neighborhoods that make the bulk of these peoples 'ghettos' look like mansions.

Last edited by cowhead; 03-13-2007 at 03:02 AM.
cowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The very idea of hate crime, in my ignorant opinion, is a violation of the constitutional guarantee of equal protection under the law.

When you establish a protected class by making a crime against a member of that class a more severe crime than the exact same act perpetrated against a person not a member of that class then you have granted that class greater protection under the law.

This will end up in the Supreme Court someday and it will not pass constitutional muster.

At this rate, midget tossing will soon become a hate crime and that is something we simply cannot allow.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:46 AM   #5
rkzenrage

Gee, I wonder if when they catch that black mugger who is all over CNN now, who targets only lil' ol' white women, if he will get charged with hate crimes....
I bet I know the answer!
Hate crime legislation is politics and not about true protection against racism.
Justice should NEVER be about politics, just the law.
Assault is assault is assault, end of story.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
Ibby
erika

What makes me mad is that it gets bandied around so often. Just because the target HAPPENED to be of one race or another doesnt AUTOMATICALLY mean it was racially motivated.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

"Hate Crime" is to "Assault" (or whatever) as "Terrorism" is to "Bombing" (or whatever).
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
"Hate Crime" is to "Assault" (or whatever) as "Terrorism" is to "Bombing" (or whatever).
Just because the left and the right agree on the desirability of prosecuting thought crime or motive doesn't make it right.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

To answer Wolf's question, yes.

This reminds me of that South Park episode where Token's dad educates the kids on "Hate Crimes: A Savage Hypocrisy."

At the same time, if I target someone as a crime victim just because of their race/ethnicity, why shouldn't I be punished more harshly? To me, it's like a person assaulting a child...you should be punished more severely if you do some stupid shit like that.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Not all crime is hate crime. If I steal a loaf of bread from KwikiMart because my child is starving--is that a hate crime?

Also--If BillyBob is kewl with his bro's spittin' terbaccy in the lane but kills Abdul for spittin' terbaccy in the lane--just think. If his name wasn't Adbul--would BillyBob have iced him?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
... Also--If BillyBob is kewl with his bro's spittin' terbaccy in the lane but kills Abdul for spittin' terbaccy in the lane--just think. If his name wasn't Adbul--would BillyBob have iced him?
Another hypothetical: Billy Bob is very jealous and posessive of his wife. He sees another man, of his same racial identity, talking to her outside the grocery store, and becomes enraged! He beats the dude to death. Is that "better" or "worse" than your example? What if Billy Bob shoots somebody for looking at him wrong? Is it a more acceptable murder if he shoots another white guy for no reason?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It's a matter of degree, flint.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
It's a matter of degree, flint.
If the "degrees" are a unit of measure, what exactly do they measure?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Plus--you aren't being serious.

not ALL crime is a hate crime.

It's a crime to loiter and live in Dumpsters--i've admitted more than a few who were dislodged from dumpsters. Was their Dumpster Living a Crime? In the eyes of the law-yes. In my eyes-no.

—James Barrie

Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
If the "degrees" are a unit of measure, what exactly do they measure?
Read some more and let me know

—James Barrie