The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-31-2007, 12:25 AM   #901
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Winding down to the end of Diana Paxson's Taking Up the Runes. I've been working with runes for years, there's not much in the way of surprises in her book. Actually, I've been having problems with her slopping around between pathways to try to wedge interpretations into her particular worldview.

I have In the Presence of Mine Enemies by Harry Turtledove in the on-deck circle.

I've heard about Turtledove for years, found this one used. As far as I know it's a standalone book rather than part of one of his multiple series.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 AM   #902
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Just finished My Year of Meat by Ruth Ozecki (read it Saturday in one day, I liked it that much.)
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #903
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I loved it. Very interesting ending. I would definitly recommend it. Have you read A Million Little Pieces?
I have that book on my bookshelf....and haven't read it yet. I probably should read some of the many unread books I have lying around... :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #904
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

"The House of Leaves" and "The Idiot".
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #905
rkzenrage

My tracts, I have a collection. I like reading about how bad I am and how hell awaits me.
It comforts me.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #906
Piccolo Padawan
Profitable Prophet

I'm currently starting the, A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin.

I'm only about halfway done on, A Game of Thrones, the first book, and there are I believe 7, at about 1000 pages each. I've gots some reading to do.
Piccolo Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #907
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There will be seven. Currently we are still waiting for the release of number 5.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #908
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
My tracts, I have a collection. I like reading about how bad I am and how hell awaits me.
It comforts me.
That's only worth it if they are Chick Tracts. The others just don't have the same flair.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #909
Piccolo Padawan
Profitable Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
There will be seven. Currently we are still waiting for the release of number 5.

Well, yeah, that was what I was thinking about, but did a poor job expressing it. :P
Old 08-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #910
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Wolf, I'm a big fan of Turtledove (and alt history in general) - In The Presence... is a standalone book, and a quality read. I've found that his standalone stuff is typically better than his sequential stuff, in my opinion: Turtledove's developed a tendency to recycle phrases and themes in his serial novels, and it tends to distract from the work.

Currently working on Brothers by David Talbot - a narrative history of the Kennedy administration focused on the tight-knit relationship between JFK, RFK, and their inner circle of advisors, and the tension between that circle and the military-bureaucratic establishment of the time. (CIA, Joint Chiefs, etc.) Think "Thirteen Days", spanned across the three years of the administration.

Very good so far - draws heavily from recently declassified documents, Congressional hearing testimonies, CIA internal histories, and direct interviews with the surviving participants of the time (MacNamara, Gore Vidal, Ted Kennedy, Walter Sheridan, Cynthia Helms [wife of de facto CIA Director Richard Helms], et al) The bibliography is around eight pages, front and back.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #911
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo Padawan
Well, yeah, that was what I was thinking about, but did a poor job expressing it. :P
Read slowly, if you can manage it. (I tried, but couldn't.) They are highly addictive, and it's really frustrating to read howevermany in a row and then know you have to wait a year or more for the next installment.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #912
Piccolo Padawan
Profitable Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Read slowly, if you can manage it. (I tried, but couldn't.) They are highly addictive, and it's really frustrating to read howevermany in a row and then know you have to wait a year or more for the next installment.
At this rate, I should be good to go, I started reading A Game of Thrones in late June-ish and I am almost 600 pages in. I've been to busy as of late to read it.

But I often find myself having to read paragraphs over and over again because of the insane amount details. but it's an amazing book.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #913
minnmirman
noob

I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird, an started American Psycho. I'm a pretty great fan of the film, and I suppose Ill like the book better
minnmirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #914
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's unfortunate that you've seen the film of American Psycho. I thought the book was better constructed.

I'm plodding my way through Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #915
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I am half way through if nobody speaks of remarkable things by jon mcgregor.

Wow. Just wow. This is his debut novel, but you would not think it. it is beautiful and compelling, and crafted with assurance and skill. Very much blurring the line between prose and poetry.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books