The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

I expected this thread to be on Home Shopping Network addiction.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Is that a confession?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #18
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Picture quality is similar in all models. All that is standardized. Serious problems exist with discount TVs (ie Seiki). The controls are bogus. Its CPU sometimes can take up to 10 seconds to respond to some remote functions. Or the remote receiver only receives in certain directions.

For example, a better TV should put up the Sleep function without going into the Setup section. Samsungs do that. Elements and some other discount brands require searching in other categories.

TVs are so easily repaired. For example, the board that includes functions such as HDMI was replaced on a 60 inch Element TV for about $80. It is only one board so it is the only part that has a defect. Only needed was a screw driver, needle nose pliers, and care with what screw goes where.

If only used to play games, then any old TV (with HDMI) is just fine - even one without tuner functions and remote. Craigslist is also a good source since so many discover later that they need to eliminate the Element or Seiki due to poor remote response times and function layouts.

Ability to switch from TV to other input devices is embedded even in Comcast remotes. But Comcast conveniently makes that function not work. Comcast controllers can select the input pages on a TV (setup codes for that TV's function are in the remote; just not published). But Comcast does not enable the arrow function. You can view the page but not select the other input ports for those other devices (DVR, game, internet TV) that are not provided by Comcast. You must go find the remote provided by that TV manufacturer. IOW one must keep two remotes available - so that one will eventually get lost.

That recovery technique is bogus. Written by people who have no idea how electronics work. Some electronics have a safety lockout. That lockout is reset only by disconnecting the power cord for a few seconds. Nobody needs the 30 seconds. Holding down the power on button does absolutely nothing.

Power is simply removed for a few seconds. Then everything inside electronics is fully discharged. That also resets the safety lockout (if it exists and if it tripped).

To make TV damage easier, plug that TV into a plug-in protector. Such power strips do not even claim to protect from surges. Better protection inside the TV can be circumvented by a plug-in protector. In FL, other solutions from responsible manufacturers are recommended. And much more necessary that in MI. Using a plug-in protector could explain HDMI damage.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
sexobon

Old 09-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #20
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I thought the 'two remotes' comment was cute.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Is that a confession?
lol I'm not the king of mental hygiene but there's one issue I don't have.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #22
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I thought the 'two remotes' comment was cute.
Especially since with today's TVs, you can download the software to turn your smartphone into the remote...even add an AI app for voice control.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #23
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
It was worth a try. The sequence is listed here. There are other troubleshooting possibilities like the port may have bent pins, HDMI connecting cables can go bad, drivers might need to be updated ...etc. At 15+ years old, soon after you fix one thing, another thing might go wrong with it. A new TV may be in order so that it's not a distracting aggravation.

The Toshiba UT linked to has decent reviews and is a good value especially if mostly for gaming.

The latest, greatest, budget TV is a bit more expensive; but, reviewers say it's worth it for a significant step up in image quality:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Class-Dol...ateway&sr=8-10

This is the new darling, a new model closely related to others that have been holding best in price class.

A typical review:

https://www.tomsguide.com/hands-on/t...ies-comparison
thanks!
Old 09-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #24
monster

PoloGirl (first practice Tuesday) says thanks, all
Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #25
monster

any thought on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #26
sexobon

For the $70 price difference, I think you'll end up kicking yourself for not getting the upgraded version of this, that I linked to before, with the auto gaming mode and other refinements.

I expect the newer model will become the Amazon Choice after availability increases and it gets more reviews. The newer one is the Class 5 (43S525) upgrade over the old Class 4 (43S425) that it's based on.

I think in this case (the user being a gamer) the choice draws the line between being frugal and being cheap; unless, the price difference just isn't doable … then I would take the older TCL over something like the Toshiba. One indicator is that 3rd party protection plans for the Toshiba only go up to 3 years. They go up to 4 years on both of the TCL models. Those 3rd parties analyze the repair rates on older models and extrapolate them for new models before offering extended coverage.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #27
monster

thanks
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 AM   #28
sexobon

UPDATES: Last time I looked at the Toshiba UT linked to, the extended protection plan went up to 3 years. Now it goes up to 4 years. Last time I looked at the Toshiba it was $200. Now it's $250.

Last time I looked at the TCL I linked to, it wasn't in stock. Now it's back in stock. Price is unchanged, at least for now.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #29
monster

passed on, thanks
Old 09-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #30
sexobon

Hey Polomom, can Pologirl get to China by October 1st? They're giving away 620,000 32" TVs! If not, maybe she knows a Chinese national going to school here who can get a couple. It's not too late for delivery by airfreight.

Quote:
Ahead of military parade China gives away 620,000 TVs

… The Communist Party of China will celebrate the 70th anniversary of its rule on Oct. 1, most notably with a parade expected to showcase some of the world’s most advanced missiles, drones, and other weapons. But what good is a massive display of power if not everyone sees it? ...