The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #1321
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The two main places where I'm a customer I definitely test the item in question. Their standard policy is to offer a 7 or 30 day return for store credit, with receipt. I have on a couple occasions gotten them to change that to money back in 48 hours. The last time that happened was when I bought a 24" display, but it was a pig in a poke. There was no way to test it in the store. I was willing to buy it, but I wasn't willing to make cash deposit in the bank of pawnshop. He got the manager to make an exception, I bought the monitor, it works, I'm using it right now. We're both happy.

I got an tool for the Stihl trimmer there. I asked them if I could test it. The next day, I brought in my trimmer, minus the string trimmer head. I took their tool, a long hedge trimmer extension and attached it, took it outside and fired it up. The hedge trimmer blades were a blur. I bought it.

Got it home and found it wouldn't cut the pyracantha climbing up the side of the house. That is one tough shrub. Damn. So I moved to the laurels on the side of the driveway. Nope. WTF? How about a dandelion? It appears that I have the world's strongest dandelions, or... I have a hedge trimmer that sucks.

Turns out the hedge trimmer sucks.

There's a plate at the bottom of the gearbox that translates the rotary motion of the shaft to a reciprocating motion for the blades. That plate takes six torx head bolts and only two were present. Huh. Weird. That was why I was suspicious in the first place, but... I brought in my own trimmer and it worked (let the record show I'd originally ended this sentence with ", right?" and have deleted it. Sorry, I'm trying, really.). So, that's on me. I take the plate off the gearbox and work out for myself how it works and discover that it's missing a cam that sits on a shaft and moves the blade back and forth. Without the cam, it just slides along the other blade but without power. (two cams, 180 deg apart, moving the two saw toothed blades in opposite directions like scissors. my unit had only one cam, driving one blade and the other blade just coasted along freely. It LOOKED like it was powered and capable of cutting--I didn't test it at the pawnshop with my finger. but at home, it was defeated by a dandelion).

Anyhow, I was outside the return window by this time, and besides, I really did want the tool. And I got a screaming deal on it. But, it's no deal if it doesn't work. I visited all the big box stores, their repair departments, no cams. I couldn't even find the fucking screws! I wound up ordering a new pair of cams and a package of screws from some small engine repair outfit on the internet for less than $20 including shipping. Eventually they arrived. I haven't put them in yet, but I expect it will work.

If it doesn't then I'll have learned a couple things, test better, test faster, get better return terms. But I'm sure it will work.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #1322
Undertoad
Miserable contrarian

That's a good plan and a good way to handle it by them. If they know you're not dishonest, and you're a regular, to give you cash.

It might work like this: they can't test certain items, or don't know how. So they put those things out at around parts price; and if they come back, they'll sell them out on eBay at parts price, meanwhile you're invested in store credit.

In the ghetto, a lot of items come in as suspect. Not that they were stolen, but they were clearly part of a dumpster dive or seem to be from odd circumstances. A poor person comes in, digs into a plastic trash bag, and says "I have this stereo (a 30 year old piece of shit), this clock radio (a 40 year old piece of shit), and this thing I don't use because I don't like it (an uncharged iPad 2 covered in syrup)." And you say, what the fuck?

So you offer $20 for the lot and throw the shit in the trash, and hope the iPad is serviceable; if it can't charge at all, it goes for parts:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...p2045573.m1684

But if it can charge, how long do you work with it until you say, well yeah this thing "works"? And what are your risks, selling it in various ways?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #1323
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

"...covered in syrup"

LOL!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #1324
Undertoad
Miserable contrarian

NSFW

|
v

|
v

|
v

|
v

|
v

|
v

so apparently this just happened today in front of you know where. Details are still coming in but, you know, random craziness in the hood. Steve has video of this gent disrobing, surrounded by cops, in the very middle of Broad St.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #1325
Undertoad
Miserable contrarian

...and he was hauled off in an ambulance shortly after this. Word is, his bag of weed had something stronger in it than he expected, and so he began doing a striptease up Broad St.

I have heard of people around here getting nekked after getting all doped up on goofballs... bath salts and what have you...
Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #1326
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just wanted to show them he wasn't armed.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #1327
Undertoad
Miserable contrarian

Right now word is he began stripping before the cops took an interest, but Steve promises more details later.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #1328
Pamela
Deplorable

So, it's NOT true, what they say, after all!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #1329
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I like how the one cop has already got his gloves on. Smart move.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #1330
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Looks like he's trying out for the part of Daffyd Thomas.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #1331
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
So, it's NOT true, what they say, after all!
Thank you so much, Pam.

I feel just a little less weird knowing that you saw it, too.

Well...that you didn't see it, either, in this case.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #1332
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Just wanted to show them he wasn't armed.
What he did is very dangerous. Some cop might mistake his toy for a real gun.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #1333
Griff
still says videotape

See dis?
Old 11-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #1334
Undertoad
Miserable contrarian

Yup. It's funny cos the horizontal siding in the Pbg shop is what we had. Makes it easy to hang and display items.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #1335
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So does my podiatrist for displaying shit they sell.