The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #8266
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Last year I opened up their Discover/Members Card which gives me cash back. I use it for everything - gas, groceries, etc.- and pay it off every month. I earned the $40 fee for this year and I have already earned it for the next year. So anymore that doesnt play into it, but even when it did, I still came out ahead. I buy my chicken and hamburger in bulk and bag it up in smaller amounts to freeze. The price almost always beats out the grocery stores. I buy kitty litter, powder laundry detergent, and other cleaners in bulk too. I stay with their brand or, if they have it, ones that cost less.

And, my Sams isnt very far from me, but I tend to only go once a month to stock up. My bill normally stays under $100. Also, it is close to Aldis, so often I go to both in one trip. Aldis actually sells feta chesse and hummus now, and their produce is usually the best priced.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #8267
monster
I hear them call the tide

ooh Cat litter. I forgot that was a good deal.... (didn't have cats when we gave our membership up)
Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #8268
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wtf....when did the Upsetting you thread turn into the shopping channel?

Gods damn people I come here for misery and distress...

:p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #8269
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I thought you hated shopping as much as I do.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #8270
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Excellent point, Zen.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #8271
monster

Now you know why.

OK stupid fucking cats can forget about cheap litter. Whats upsetting me is the little shite howled outside my door about every 15 minutes from 6am this morning, then when I finally got up to throw him out, I pulled something in my back. Have been lying in bed icing it for two hours, can only just move, the bastard shite is still outside
Old 09-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #8272
glatt

My sister in law, who has been fighting pancreatic cancer for the last several years, died in her sleep last night. At home. Kind of caught me by surprise, because she'd been so close so many times before, and they had just released her from the hospital a week ago, and things were looking like they were slightly improving over how she had been for the last month.

Fuckin' cancer.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #8273
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Damn. Sorry to hear that glatt.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #8274
monster

sorry, glatt
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #8275
Griff
still says videotape

Damn it. Sorry glatt.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #8276
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Sorry for your loss glatt.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #8277
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

So sorry glatt. xxx
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #8278
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, buttfuck cancer in the mouth.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #8279
glatt

Thanks everyone.

Now I need to make up my mind about whether I'm going to her memorial service or not. She's actually my ex sister in law. She and my brother got divorced about 10 years ago. But it was a pretty good divorce, and I've seen her maybe 3 times since the divorce.

I liked her a lot. She was really cool. But she hasn't been a significant part of my life in about a decade. But her kids have (17 yo and 19 yo.) They are my niece and nephew and are family.

So on the "attend the service" side of the equation is that I'd like to be there for the service, and the niece and nephew would probably appreciate seeing me there

On the "don't attend the service" side of the equation is that I already have plans to go with my son on a scout camping trip this weekend, the service is on the other side of the country and it will take about 25 hours of travel time round trip to get there and back since I can't afford a last minute direct flight. There will be a ton of other people there, so my absence won't be glaring. Also, I recently noted that a moth ate my only suit, so I'd need to shop for at least a jacket or something. With airfare, hotel, and a new suit, the trip will put me back about $1k, which would be painful.

So really that's what's bugging me about all this. Do I go? I want to be there, but it's a huge pain.

There are only 3-4 more planned camping trips with my son before he leaves scouts, so it's not like there are an endless supply of camping trips. And I really enjoy camping with him and those other dads and their kids.

I think I've decided I'm not going, but I'm really torn about that decision.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #8280
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm so sorry, glatt.

I think funeral services, or visitations, are for the living, the loved ones still here. Having said that, however, very often these things come up when something else important is planned. And it's a big distance to go; it's not like it's in town.

Could you send an arrangement, or cards to your niece and nephew? Maybe a phone call? I think in this circumstance that is more than acceptable and welcome.

And you and your son will relish those trips for the rest of your life: I bet your ex sis-in-law would want you to be able to do those things with your family. Life does go on.

And fuck cancer.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss