The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
glatt

There's enough negativity in the world. I try not to spread more of it. If you shit on a telemarketer, then the telemarketer will feel like crap and just go shit on other people in their lives.

If you hate telemarketers, put your number on the do not call list. Invest in caller ID or get an answering machine and only pick up the calls you want to get.

The people calling you are paid poorly and are doing it because they can't get a better job. Insulting them is like walking past a ditch digger and spitting on them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Very, very rarely is it anything of interest to me. I think maybe once in the last two years when a comms company called me as I was considering changing my phone/net package.
No No No No, never ever express interest, or say yes, it only keeps this plague alive. The same with spam emails. Every person that responds, kills 10,000 kittens..

If you really are interested, make a mental note of it and contact the company independently.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnwil View Post

Here is the point: I do not believe that telemarketers serve any useful purpose at all. Therefore, they do not cut them any slack. If I can cause them any distress at all, I do so. I insult them and take up their time, to the extent possible, unless I am busy with something else.
I used to be a Telemarketer - Pretty darn good at it too. I could have sold Jesus a Bible.

I became one during one of those transitioning phases of my life - I retired from the U.S. Air Force and couldn't get a job. Since electrocuting pigs wasn't my thing I opted to pestering people - which I actually enjoyed (I know, I'm a prick). I discovered I was real good at talking shit and selling even more useless shit that people never needed or had no clue what they were buying (like Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance - most uselss shit on the planet - next to Obama and Rush Limbaugh).

Anyway, I used to love getting old geezers on the phone like you - made for a nice break in the routine. I lost my job because I had one on the phone for almost an hour. We talked about everything... It was a great conversation!
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I agree with Dana and Sundae. I had friends that worked throughout college as telemarketers because they were the most flexible about the hours they could work. If someone is really pushy or ignores my comment of "I'm not interested", the worst I do is hang up. They don't need to be harassed and made to feel like shit just for doing their horrible job. The job itself is a punishment enough.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well said bbro - as one who spends a great deal of time on the phone calling businesses, lemme tell you, its a GRIND.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I avoid answering, when possible. If I do answer, I listen until they pause, then say "no thank you". If they continue, I say "no ........ Thank you". If they then say anything except "goodbye", I say "goodbye" and hang up.

But there was this one time - not at band camp - when the caller asked me to buy lightbulbs that last for years. I told her no, because I was entering the military the very next day (a lie). The caller asked if I would like to buy some for my parents. I again told her no, that I was going into the military because both of my parents died in a tragic car accident the week before (also a lie). The caller quicker said sorry, bye, and hung up.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Well said bbro - as one who spends a great deal of time on the phone calling businesses, lemme tell you, its a GRIND.
Gay phone sex? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #23
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Gay phone sex? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I never knew there was such a thing as a gay phone!!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

this thread gives me deja vu
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #25
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
this thread gives me deja vu
I'm posting to let you know about a great deal we are currently offering on deja-vu protection. Did you know that 95% of people lose their deja vu simply because their original dealers didn't want them to know that it was necessary to get it undercoated? Fortunately for you, we are now able to offer this protection retroactively for a mere 199.99 per month and a lien of your firstborn
Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #26
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

I know I've seen that offer before....

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #27
monster
I hear them call the tide

but i bet your parents haven't seen it.....
Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #28
disenchanted
Resident President

I once made a political fundraising telemarketer cry. They made the mistake of calling me up when I was near my computer, so I looked up a list of all the pending congressional bills at the time and started asking what their position their candidate took on each. I didn't yell, I didn't swear, I wasn't really all that mean, I just pushed them so far off-script that they couldn't handle it. They hung up on me.
disenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #29
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Well, I am on the no-call list, but it does not seem to matter to some, and I do not have caller id, largely because I am too cheap to get it.

Personally, I think that a job should serve a useful purpose, and I do not telemarketers qualify.

I remember a call I got from Life Alert. "Someone in you family has said that you need Life Alert." Not true, but it was a recorded call, so I just hung up.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #30
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnwil View Post
Personally, I think that a job should serve a useful purpose, and I do not telemarketers qualify.
Well, clearly from the perspective of those companies who use telemarketing, it does serve a useful purpose. If you mean that a job should be useful to society then there's a damned long list of jobs which are of very questionable value. At the end of the day, though, whether or not you think someone's job serves a useful purpose, it is still their job.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote