The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #91
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 60,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
"Maths" actually makes more sense than "math" because "mathematics" is plural and so is "maths." But it sounds funny.
Mathematics is plural because it is the collection of all the various math disciplines, not a plural of plurals. Them furriners just talks funny.
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #92
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,475
It's maths because it's an abbreviation of mathematics.

That is all!
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #93
footfootfoot
I may have overstated my temerity's degree of mitigation.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 18,065
Those are all. There are more than one math, right?
__________________
the internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously? - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:22 AM   #94
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,475
It's all called maths because all streams are covered under the one heading over here.

It's not the same as the US.

That's all.
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #95
glatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 25,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
all streams are covered under the one heading over here.

It's not the same as the US.

That's all.
Just don't cross the streams. That would be very bad.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #96
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
It's maths because it's an abbreviation of mathematics.

That is all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
It's all called maths because all streams are covered under the one heading over here.

It's not the same as the US.

That's all.
You sure?
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #97
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,475
YES I'M SURE!

THAT IS ALL!!!
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #98
monster
disaster mermaid
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perpetual Chaos
Posts: 28,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
While I'm in this thread, here's Aden (left) receiving his award for maths at his recent graduation. He shared it with another boy (Alex) who competed consistently throughout the year in maths.

Well done boys.

Attachment 21043
That's cute, but why are they getting the award from George Bush?
__________________
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity Amelia Earhart
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:57 AM   #99
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,475
That's Pat Purcell. He recently had to 'resign' because he thought it'd be ok to smack a couple of his staff over the back of the head.

I wish he wasn't in the picture.
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:29 AM   #100
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 663
My kids need guidance. Three of them. This is my "good girl." The other two are reprobates.

T
__________________
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #101
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Badelaide, Baustralia
Posts: 12,861
Guidance, you say? I know a bloke, recently out of work, experienced at slapping heads...
__________________
Shut up and hug. MoreThanPretty, Nov 5, 2008.
Just because I'm nominally polite, does not make me a pussy. Sundae Girl.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #102
Flint
Libturd Snowflake
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Coastal Elite
Posts: 11,988
PHOTO CAPTION CONTEST

...
Attached Images
 
__________________
******************
There's a level of facility that everyone needs to accomplish, and from there
it's a matter of deciding for yourself how important ultra-facility is to your
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 60,199
Shame on you, buying booze when the child has no shoes.
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #104
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: above 7,000 feet
Posts: 7,208
I spent 14 days in Mexico last month looking exactly like that.
__________________
Keep Your Bodies Off My Lawn

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #105
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 16,475
So much beer, so little belly.
__________________
Kind words are the music of the world. F. W. Faber
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
photos


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.